Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car tyre pump won't work off mains adaptor

I recently had occasion to charge my central heating expansion vessel
(qv!), and tried to use the little 12V pump which I carry in the car for
inflating tyres. As we have a 240V-12V PSU for use with a camping
fridge. This device states that its output is 13.6V DC / 5A /68W -
surely more than adequately rated for the pump? (or maybe not?) Anyway,
plugged in, the pump simply cycled weakly at about once per second.

So purely from curiosity, why would the pump have failed to work on the
transformer?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
I recently had occasion to charge my central heating expansion vessel
(qv!), and tried to use the little 12V pump which I carry in the car for
inflating tyres. As we have a 240V-12V PSU for use with a camping
fridge. This device states that its output is 13.6V DC / 5A /68W -
surely more than adequately rated for the pump? (or maybe not?) Anyway,
plugged in, the pump simply cycled weakly at about once per second.

So purely from curiosity, why would the pump have failed to work on the
transformer?

The pump takes 5A to start, and the power supply is switching itself
off to prevent damage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I recently had occasion to charge my central heating expansion vessel
(qv!), and tried to use the little 12V pump which I carry in the car for
inflating tyres. As we have a 240V-12V PSU for use with a camping
fridge. This device states that its output is 13.6V DC / 5A /68W -
surely more than adequately rated for the pump? (or maybe not?) Anyway,
plugged in, the pump simply cycled weakly at about once per second.

So purely from curiosity, why would the pump have failed to work on the
transformer?

Probably can't supply the peak current needed. Although the motor may be
rated at 5 amp continuous it may take a great deal more for a very short
time each compressor cycle or whatever.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov 2006 18:42:35 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Lobster wrote:
I recently had occasion to charge my central heating expansion vessel
(qv!), and tried to use the little 12V pump which I carry in the car for
inflating tyres. As we have a 240V-12V PSU for use with a camping
fridge. This device states that its output is 13.6V DC / 5A /68W -
surely more than adequately rated for the pump? (or maybe not?) Anyway,
plugged in, the pump simply cycled weakly at about once per second.

So purely from curiosity, why would the pump have failed to work on the
transformer?

The pump takes 5A to start, and the power supply is switching itself
off to prevent damage.

ISTR that my 12v car tyre pump took about 9amps !

Its not alot slower using a footpump

Robert
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article tq60ke.47c.ln@willow,
kimble wrote:
I'll second that. I got sick of mine blowing the 10A cigarette lighter
fuse every other time I used it, so lopped the plug off and fitted a
pair of crocodile clips for direct connection to the battery.

Given a spare car battery, this means I'm all set up for topping up an
expansion vessel 6ft off the ground, thus ensuring that my expansion
vessel will remain happily inflated until about a week after the pump
spontaneously combusts.

With Xmas coming, one of those jump start packs with compressor built in
is worth a punt. It's also a convenient easily portable source of 12 volts
for testing car bits, etc - better than a spare battery. I got one from
Lidl for 20 quid and didn't expect it to last. But it's done ok.

--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Black & Decker drill/driver mains adaptor polarity Mike Atkinson {see sig for return address} UK diy 15 October 21st 20 09:18 PM
Booster pump to increase mains pressure Martin Pentreath UK diy 5 May 16th 06 08:06 PM
Mains Adaptor JSGJones Electronics 3 June 26th 05 04:28 PM
Car tyre inflator al UK diy 20 March 12th 05 08:49 PM
can i pump mains pressure water? Chris UK diy 7 November 25th 04 12:47 PM