Mike Atkinson {see sig for return address}

Default Black & Decker drill/driver mains adaptor polarity

Due to a freak (I hope!) occurrence, about 6 months ago many mains
adaptors in our house were knocked out of action. Our local power
supplier arranged to have these replaced, but I unfortunately forgot
about an adaptor located in our garage...

I discovered recently that the charger for my Black & Decker
drill/driver (HP9096) is now fubar. Before I threw this away I was
careful to note the stated output voltage and current rating, but didn't
note the polarity (if it was indicated?). Now I've purchased a generic
mains adaptor that can supply sufficient current of the correct voltage,
but I don't know the correct polarity (positive or negative 'tip'
according to the new adaptor's instructions). Does this matter?

I've checked the drill's supplied instructions, and the B&D website, but
am unable to find this information. For some unknown reason I kept the
end connector of the B&D charger, so I can determine that inner
connector corresponds to the wire with a white stripe running down it's
length. Is this stripe to intended to identify the negative feed?

Please could someone put me out of my misery. Does the polarity matter?
I'd like to know before I leave my driver charging during the day - I
have visions of exploding batteries!

Many thanks in advance for any advice,
Mike

--
Note that the email address in the headers - whilst valid - is NOT read.
email: (remove the CAPS LOCK).
BigWallop

wrote in message .. .
[...]

Do you have a torch or an electric test meter? With a torch bulb and a
battery you can place the bulb in a bit of bared wire and touch the wire to
one end of the battery. The other end of the battery touches against the
battery connector tab inside the drill, and then touch the tip of the bulb
against the inner pin of the charger socket on the drill. Using the logic
of the drills original battery, that should be marked with a + and - symbol,
you should see which connector is which when you touch the torch battery
against them inside the drill.

Remember to check and double check which way round the drills own battery
goes inside the handle.

Martin Angove

In message ,
Mike Atkinson {see sig for return address} wrote:

I've checked the drill's supplied instructions, and the B&D website, but
am unable to find this information. For some unknown reason I kept the
end connector of the B&D charger, so I can determine that inner
connector corresponds to the wire with a white stripe running down it's
length. Is this stripe to intended to identify the negative feed?

IM(limited)E, white stripe usually means positive. Likewise, probably
greater than half of these sorts of connectors I meet have the positive
on the inner or the tip, and the negative on the outer or the ring.

BUT, this may not be the case with your drill. The only additional
suggestion I have (apart from hoping someone will pop along here who has
the same drill) is to check the hole where you plug the charger; there
is often a small diagram printed or moulded into the plastic nearby.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Now where did I put that fire extinguisher?
Rusty

wrote in message .. .
[...]

Charging the cells backward will wreck them, which is why multicell NiCad's
shouldn't be discharged 100% as there is always a weakest cell that goes to
0v first then charges backward from the other cells. I can't think of any
tests to do on the drill as it will probably run in the same direction
whatever the battery polarity if it has a wound field rather than a
permanent magnet.

The only B&D kit I have is an ancient 2.8v screwdriver/drill from about 1990
whose charger has two flat connectors on either side of a plastic bar. I
checked and the black wire is neg and the black&white is positive as the
other post indicated. So B&D should be farily consistent.

Oddly I threw the driver out as it wouldn't charge. Now I find it was a
broken wire in the charger that was the problem. Bah.

rusty

P.R.Brady

[...]

Mike,

Yes polarity may be very important. It may just not charge (if B&D put
a protective diode in) or it may bang spectacularly. That end connector
is going to be useful in diagnosing which way round, but you will need a
test meter.

Try this:

Identify which wire is which on the old connector using the meter on
resistance range.

Connect the wire from the OUTER of the old connector to the outer of the
new charger connector using tape, a wooden clothes peg, etc leaving the
two 'inners' isolated and unconnected. Plug old connector into the
drill/charging base/battery and the new charger into the mains.

Check voltage between the two inner connectors with the meter set to a
DC voltage range of about 30 volts. A paper clip is good for getting
into the hole of the new connector.

Reverse polarity of the new supply and check voltage again.

In one case you will get a high reading of supply voltage PLUS battery
voltage (for this 9.6v drill expect about 20 volts) - this is the WRONG
way round.

In the other you will get a lower reading (about 3 volts) being the
difference. This is the right way round.

Good luck!
Phil

Pete C

Hi,

If the charger has an LED it'll only light when the adaptor is the
right way round.

Usually it's negative tip though some audio equipment like Sharp, Sony
have positive tip.

In any case someone is/was selling them on Ebay so might look at one
for you.

cheers,
Pete.
Mike Atkinson {see sig for return address}

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:37:57 +0100, Martin Angove wrote:

The only additional suggestion I have is to check the hole where you
plug the charger; there is often a small diagram printed or moulded
into the plastic nearby.

Thanks for the response - there's unfortunatley no such indication.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:47:44 +0100, P.R.Brady wrote:

Mike Atkinson {see sig for return address} wrote:

I discovered recently that the charger for my Black & Decker
drill/driver (HP9096) is now fubar. Now I've purchased a generic
mains adaptor that can supply sufficient current of the correct
voltage, but I don't know the correct polarity (positive or negative
'tip' according to the new adaptor's instructions). Does this
matter?

Try this:

Identify which wire is which on the old connector using the meter on
resistance range.

Connect the wire from the OUTER of the old connector to the outer of
the new charger connector using tape, a wooden clothes peg, etc
leaving the two 'inners' isolated and unconnected. Plug old
connector into the drill/charging base/battery and the new charger
into the mains.

Check voltage between the two inner connectors with the meter set to
a DC voltage range of about 30 volts. Reverse polarity of the new
supply and check voltage again. In one case you will get a high
reading of supply voltage PLUS battery voltage (for this 9.6v drill
expect about 20 volts) - this is the WRONG way round. In the other
you will get a lower reading (about 3 volts) being the difference.
This is the right way round.

Brilliant - thanks for such a useful reply. With the polarity the
correct way around, I do see approx. 3V. With the polarity reversed, I
actually get 0V, which I'm guessing is due to some internal protection
in the drill?

The upshot is that the supply *is* 'positive tip' (i.e. central contact
is positive), and this corresponds to the wire with a white stripe
running down it's length. This is in line with both Martin and Rusty's
posts.

My drill/driver is now charging (I hope!). Many thanks for all

Regards,
Mike

--
Note that the email address in the headers - whilst valid - is NOT read.
email: (remove the CAPS LOCK).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Mike Atkinson {see sig for ret, Lane in London wrote:
matkinson999 wrote:

Brilliant - thanks for such a useful reply. With the polarity the
correct way around, I do see approx. 3V. With the polarity reversed, I
actually get 0V, which I'm guessing is due to some internal protection
in the drill?
The upshot is that the supply *is* 'positive tip' (i.e. central contact
is positive), and this corresponds to the wire with a white stripe
running down it's length. This is in line with both Martin and Rusty's
posts.
My drill/driver is now charging (I hope!). Many thanks for all
Regards,
Mike

Just a brief €śfurther€ť about this issue: This has proved to be the
sole source (much after its origination) from which I have been able to
glean this pertinent accurate information. My €śStone Age€ť Black &
Decker® HP9096 Type 1 Cordless Drill/Screwdriver (a useful tool) is,
after nearly a decade of idle discharge, once again functional! Thank you
all, this is obviously an enduringly useful forum/website.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

matkinson999 wrote:

Brilliant - thanks for such a useful reply. With the polarity the
correct way around, I do see approx. 3V. With the polarity reversed, I
actually get 0V, which I'm guessing is due to some internal protection
in the drill?
The upshot is that the supply *is* 'positive tip' (i.e. central contact
is positive), and this corresponds to the wire with a white stripe
running down it's length. This is in line with both Martin and Rusty's
posts.
My drill/driver is now charging (I hope!). Many thanks for all
Regards,
Mike

Just a brief “further” about this issue: This has proved to be the
sole source (much after its origination) from which I have been able to
glean this pertinent accurate information. My “Stone Age” Black &
Decker® HP9096 Type 1 Cordless Drill/Screwdriver (a useful tool) is,
after nearly a decade of idle discharge, once again functional! Thank you
all, this is obviously an enduringly useful forum/website.

You are indeed using a forum /website (called Flashnewsgroups) but the
rest of us are on Usenet.
Glad you found the posts informative, but it's been ten years since
they were made, and the people you are thanking are likley to have
moved on, if they havn't passed away.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Graham. , Lane in London wrote:
me wrote:

On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 13:44:01 +0000, Lane in London
You are indeed using a forum /website (called Flashnewsgroups) but the
rest of us are on Usenet.
Glad you found the posts informative, but it's been ten years since
they were made, and the people you are thanking are likley to have
moved on, if they havn't passed away.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Yes Graham..., thus my post; thanks to you too.

N.B.
My personal time-frame basic unit is the decade, thats just a blink.
You may well be reading this again in 2025 from your €śnew€ť perspective
and still find it useful/interesting.
Thanks again.
bfn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Graham., Armando wrote:
Thanks. This saved my day...

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ty-316918-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have located a B&D 9.6v drill, but cannot find the adapter to charge the battery. I have a multi volt adapter that has a polarity switch, but my problem is I don't know which polarity to set for charging. Help please.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ty-316918-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PC Plod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 20:23, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
See my other reply.
Be very very careful.
Brian

+1

What type of battery? Or, how old is it? More than a few years old, then
throw it away and go off to Aldi/Lidl when they have them in stock.