Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Atkinson {see sig for return address}

Default Black & Decker drill/driver mains adaptor polarity

Due to a freak (I hope!) occurrence, about 6 months ago many mains
adaptors in our house were knocked out of action. Our local power
supplier arranged to have these replaced, but I unfortunately forgot
about an adaptor located in our garage...

I discovered recently that the charger for my Black & Decker
drill/driver (HP9096) is now fubar. Before I threw this away I was
careful to note the stated output voltage and current rating, but didn't
note the polarity (if it was indicated?). Now I've purchased a generic
mains adaptor that can supply sufficient current of the correct voltage,
but I don't know the correct polarity (positive or negative 'tip'
according to the new adaptor's instructions). Does this matter?

I've checked the drill's supplied instructions, and the B&D website, but
am unable to find this information. For some unknown reason I kept the
end connector of the B&D charger, so I can determine that inner
connector corresponds to the wire with a white stripe running down it's
length. Is this stripe to intended to identify the negative feed?

Please could someone put me out of my misery. Does the polarity matter?
I'd like to know before I leave my driver charging during the day - I
have visions of exploding batteries!

Many thanks in advance for any advice,
Mike

--
Note that the email address in the headers - whilst valid - is NOT read.
email: (remove the CAPS LOCK).