Rusty

"Mike Atkinson {see sig for return address}"
wrote in message .. .
Due to a freak (I hope!) occurrence, about 6 months ago many mains
adaptors in our house were knocked out of action. Our local power
supplier arranged to have these replaced, but I unfortunately forgot
about an adaptor located in our garage...

I discovered recently that the charger for my Black & Decker
drill/driver (HP9096) is now fubar. Before I threw this away I was
careful to note the stated output voltage and current rating, but didn't
note the polarity (if it was indicated?). Now I've purchased a generic
mains adaptor that can supply sufficient current of the correct voltage,
but I don't know the correct polarity (positive or negative 'tip'
according to the new adaptor's instructions). Does this matter?

I've checked the drill's supplied instructions, and the B&D website, but
am unable to find this information. For some unknown reason I kept the
end connector of the B&D charger, so I can determine that inner
connector corresponds to the wire with a white stripe running down it's
length. Is this stripe to intended to identify the negative feed?

Please could someone put me out of my misery. Does the polarity matter?
I'd like to know before I leave my driver charging during the day - I
have visions of exploding batteries!

Charging the cells backward will wreck them, which is why multicell NiCad's
shouldn't be discharged 100% as there is always a weakest cell that goes to
0v first then charges backward from the other cells. I can't think of any
tests to do on the drill as it will probably run in the same direction
whatever the battery polarity if it has a wound field rather than a
permanent magnet.

The only B&D kit I have is an ancient 2.8v screwdriver/drill from about 1990
whose charger has two flat connectors on either side of a plastic bar. I
checked and the black wire is neg and the black&white is positive as the
other post indicated. So B&D should be farily consistent.

Oddly I threw the driver out as it wouldn't charge. Now I find it was a
broken wire in the charger that was the problem. Bah.

rusty