Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Cigarette smoke

"tvmo" wrote in message
I live in a Lovell-built semi-detached house, which was constructed in
2001.

A few months ago some smokers moved in next door. Since then we've
noticed the smell of smoke in the rooms that adjoin next doors house
(our kitchen, dining room and 3rd bedroom). I'm pretty sure that the
smoke isn't coming in through the windows.

Can anyone suggest where the smoke could be entering our property? In
addition is there any way I can confirm the smell we are experiencing
is indeed smoke?

In the days before smoking was banned on airliners, it was usual to find a
pattern of smoke stains on the outside of the hull when it was stripped for
painting. A skilled eye could even use it to judge whether parts of the hull
were showing early signs of undue stress. If it can leach through solid
aluminium, I doubt a party wall in a modern house is going to provide too
much of a barrier.

Colin Bignell