Posted to uk.d-i-y
scotsgal scotsgal is offline

Default Cigarette smoke

On Dec 20, 12:59*pm, tvmo wrote:
Oh..just go round the skirting with some decorators caulk.

That's one solution, but it doesn't exactly solve the problem. In
addition, I block up one exit and the smoke will find another.

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem, except i live in a flat... Here's the
long and boring story... I experimented with lots of different things
because the cigarette smoke was driving me nuts (and probably making
me ill) but I have gradually reduced the problem. Eventually, I ended
up just trying to pinpoint problem areas and reduce the airflow
between the downstairs properties (ie the smokers) and mine, by
blocking off (or taping off - silver duck tape is the best but it's a
bit like being in a sci-fi film with silver everywhere) any areas that
might produce draughts. The smoke was seeping through the flat door,
the old chimney/fireplace, floorboards and then into the gaps between
the walls (it is a Victorian property, so the boards have shrunk,
allowing the smoke to permeate). I draught-proofed the door with
rubber sealing strip from a DIY store, filled problem gaps between
skirting and wall with nice and cheap polyfilla (from powder) and
laminate/skirting gaps with polycell flexible/decorator's filler (or
decorator's caulk) to allow movement. It took AGES to do it but it was
worth it. Yes, you are correct that when you block one gap, the smoke
finds another, but the amount of smoke entering your property will be
reduced and after that, the best solution if you want to eradicate it
is to keep going until you have sealed everything that you can!

The only area left that I'm having trouble with is the kitchen because
I can't remove the units to seal behind those but I'm working on it. I
have spent so long agonising over this so I can really sympathise...

Go for the caulk/sealing filler - it works!