Posted to uk.d-i-y
scotsgal scotsgal is offline

Default Cigarette smoke

On Dec 24, 5:10*pm, Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-12-24 14:59:27 +0000, geraldthehamster said:

On 24 Dec, 00:44, scotsgal wrote:

The smoke was seeping through the flat door,
the old chimney/fireplace, floorboards and then into the gaps between
the walls (it is a Victorian property, so the boards have shrunk,
allowing the smoke to permeate). I draught-proofed the door with
rubber sealing strip from a DIY store, filled problem gaps between
skirting and wall with nice and cheap polyfilla (from powder) and
laminate/skirting gaps with polycell flexible/decorator's filler (or
decorator's caulk) to allow movement. It took AGES to do it but it was
worth it. Yes, you are correct that when you block one gap, the smoke
finds another, but the amount of smoke entering your property will be
reduced and after that, the best solution if you want to eradicate it
is to keep going until you have sealed everything that you can!

Yes, but should you have to? An older property is bound to leak in
those places. Isn't it incumbent on your neighbours not to cause a
nuisance by filling your property up with smoke? Quiet enjoyment and
all that.

Regards
Richard

Exactly. *I think that it would be reasonable for this to be referred
to the environmental health people.- Hide quoted text -

Um, I actually posted on this site to help others with the same
problem and get practical advice myself. Of course you would expect
air to move around in old buildings, but I am not trying to
'hermetically seal' it and it is recommended practice nowadays to
draught-proof your property using caulk or sealant anyway to save
energy. I get along very well with my neighbour so I don't think it's
an issue for environmental health - you can stop people smoking in
public places but people who own their own home can do as they please.