Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Playpit sand vs builders sand

My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for her son's
sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on google
suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not stain clothes
but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with dirty stained
clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's the point?

Am I missing something here?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Am I missing something here?

Adam

Yes...the coast road. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for her
son's sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on google
suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not stain
clothes but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with dirty
stained clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's the point?

In these parts, sharp sand is a better replacement for playpit sand than
builders. It behaves more like beach sand and does not have as much
yellow clay in it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...
My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for

her son's
sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on

google
suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not stain

clothes
but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with dirty

stained
clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's the point?

Am I missing something here?

Adam

Builders sand will leave horrible yellow stains on clothes, hands and
anything else. Sandpit sand isn't exactly expensive - get the right
stuff.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
. uk...

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Am I missing something here?

Adam

Yes...the coast road. :-)

If I was to load up a few bags of sand from the beach at Filey where my
parents have a holiday home I am sure pold would have something to say if I
was seen. I would also need to wash the donkeys turds out before putting the
sand in a sandpit.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...
My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for her
son's sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on google
suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not stain clothes
but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with dirty stained
clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's the point?

Am I missing something here?

In an ideal world you need silica sand. It's light in colour and doesn't
stain. It's used as a riding surface for horse ménages. Builders merchants
sell it, (dried out) and I use it for sand blasting because it's cheap. [1]
[1] Cue the safety Nazi blathering on about silicosis!

Julian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

If I was to load up a few bags of sand from the beach at Filey where my
parents have a holiday home I am sure pold would have something to say if I
was seen. I would also need to wash the donkeys turds out before putting the
sand in a sandpit.

Don't forget to put the cat turds in, for that authentic
sandpit experience...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for her
son's sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on google
suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not stain
clothes but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with dirty
stained clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's the point?

In these parts, sharp sand is a better replacement for playpit sand than
builders. It behaves more like beach sand and does not have as much
yellow clay in it.

Instead it has lots of lovely sharp edges that will cut the little
*******'s hands to ribbons.

Yup. A suitable replacement.

It also will stain the bugger yellow all over.

Sea sand has two things about it: it's worns smooth and the soluble
salts are washed out of it.

Builders and sharp sand are both gritty and dug up from where they are
found..the builders is merely a finer grading IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Julian wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...
My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for her
son's sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on google
suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not stain clothes
but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with dirty stained
clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's the point?

Am I missing something here?

In an ideal world you need silica sand. It's light in colour and doesn't
stain. It's used as a riding surface for horse ménages. Builders merchants
sell it, (dried out) and I use it for sand blasting because it's cheap. [1]
[1] Cue the safety Nazi blathering on about silicosis!

Julian.

ITSR its called 'silver sand' as well
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:

If I was to load up a few bags of sand from the beach at Filey where my
parents have a holiday home I am sure pold would have something to say if
was seen. I would also need to wash the donkeys turds out before putting
the
sand in a sandpit.

Don't forget to put the cat turds in, for that authentic
sandpit experience...

The local cats will be able to do it without my help. I can visualise them
passing messages down the street to their mates as I empty the van of a
couple of bags of sand.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for her
son's sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on
google suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not
stain clothes but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with
dirty stained clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's
the point?

In these parts, sharp sand is a better replacement for playpit sand
than builders. It behaves more like beach sand and does not have as
much yellow clay in it.

Instead it has lots of lovely sharp edges that will cut the little
*******'s hands to ribbons.

Which is why I added the qualification of "in these parts". Sharp sand
here is no more "sharp" than that found on Southend beach[1], and it is
also pretty much colour free.

[1] Granted that is not renowned for its softness since most of it was
imported sharp sand a hundred years ago or so.

Yup. A suitable replacement.

It also will stain the bugger yellow all over.

or not, depending on your local supply.

Sea sand has two things about it: it's worns smooth and the soluble
salts are washed out of it.

Builders and sharp sand are both gritty and dug up from where they are
found..the builders is merely a finer grading IIRC.

They are very different here - builders is a dark yellow, verging on
orange - but soft and not at all gritty, and sharp is straw coloured and
contains larger grains (stone fragments) very much like our beach sand.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Julian wrote:
[...]

Isn't all sand silica?

I tried Paving sand in the playpit once... but that was so fine that it
did not make good sandcastles etc. You also had to wet it down to make
it any fun at all.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:16:58 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Isn't all sand silica?

I tried Paving sand in the playpit once... but that was so fine that it
did not make good sandcastles etc. You also had to wet it down to make
it any fun at all.

What you need for proper sandcastles is moulding sand (and a supply of
parting sand)...

Horses for courses innit.

;-)
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 8:56 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"George" wrote in message

. uk...

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Am I missing something here?

Adam

Yes...the coast road. :-)

We just filled our sandpit with 'sandpit sand' it took nearly half a
ton of it.

there's a very large range of prices.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 10:09 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for her
son's sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on google
suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not stain
clothes but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with dirty
stained clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's the point?

In these parts, sharp sand is a better replacement for playpit sand than
builders. It behaves more like beach sand and does not have as much
yellow clay in it.

Instead it has lots of lovely sharp edges that will cut the little
*******'s hands to ribbons.

He might not be married to the child's mother but that doesn't mean
the child was born out of wedlock.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oups.com...
John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for her
son's sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on google
suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not stain
clothes but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with dirty
stained clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's the
point?

In these parts, sharp sand is a better replacement for playpit sand
than
builders. It behaves more like beach sand and does not have as much
yellow clay in it.

Instead it has lots of lovely sharp edges that will cut the little
*******'s hands to ribbons.

He might not be married to the child's mother but that doesn't mean
the child was born out of wedlock.

But he was born out of wedlock. ISTR a news item that said in 2005 more
children were born out of wedlock than in wedlock, the first year that this
had happened.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...
My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for

her son's
sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on

google
suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not stain

clothes
but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with dirty

stained
clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's the point?

Am I missing something here?

Adam

Builders sand will leave horrible yellow stains on clothes, hands and
anything else. Sandpit sand isn't exactly expensive - get the right
stuff.

I probably will buy it Its not the cost of the sand (and the sandpit is
not huge) I just have a **** loads of builders sand (and a fair bit of sharp
sand) in the back garden. You do realise that if I have to call at B&Q etc
to buy playpit sand the girlfiend will want to buy other things and give me
more work to do.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
. ..

snip
You do realise that if I have to call at B&Q etc to buy playpit sand
the girlfiend will want to buy other things and give me more work to
do.

Then nip in on your own, surprise her (and the young lad)! :~)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Go to the sand and gravel merchants and buy "silver sand" (not the same as
sharp sand or builder's sand) which is the same as playpit sand. I got a
trailer load for not much a few years ago. It flows through tubes funnels
etc.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 5:31 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

oups.com...

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

OK, so was my first child. I would still be upset if someone called
him a little *******, even if it's technically correct.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:22:24 GMT, Stuart Noble
mused:

wrote:
On Jul 16, 5:31 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

oups.com...

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Weddings are getting more like funerals, unavoidably expensive, and only
slightly less depressing.

At least at a funeral you can just turn up, mooch around a bit, eat
some finger food and then go home. Weddings are some long, drawn out,
ridiculously expensive occaSion, and you have to do the stag do as
WELL AND TRY and outdo eVERYONE ELSE at spending money.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:22:24 GMT, Stuart Noble
mused:

wrote:
On Jul 16, 5:31 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

oups.com...

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

The bride spends a year preparing for it, by which time she has flipped
and become unfit for purpose, and the bridegroom is wondering whether
one of the waitresses might be a better bet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

snip

Weddings are getting more like funerals, unavoidably expensive, and
only slightly less depressing.

No, the Brides expectations are like that, it's still possible to get
married 'cheaply'...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

snip
Weddings are getting more like funerals, unavoidably expensive, and
only slightly less depressing.

No, the Brides expectations are like that

Delightfully spoofed by Cameron Diaz in "Very Bad Things" circa 1998

, it's still possible to get
married 'cheaply'...

To a disappointed bride? She'll keep that as ammunition and fire it at
you when you're feeling low.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

snip

, it's still possible to get
married 'cheaply'...

To a disappointed bride? She'll keep that as ammunition and fire it
at you when you're feeling low.

Well obviously not if the bride wants to spend the first mortgage on
the wedding, if so, the groom should be asking if the 'bride' is the
correct one never mind if the venue is correct! :~o

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 17 Jul, 11:58, Stuart Noble
wrote:
Lurch wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:22:24 GMT, Stuart Noble
mused:

wrote:
On Jul 16, 5:31 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

legroups.com...

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

one of the waitresses might be a better bet.- Hide quoted text -

Hmmmm ..... reminds me of the old joke

On the afternoon of the wedding - Groom says to friend "Last week my
fiancee gave me her first blowjob, and it was amazing. I am going to
love married life"

Bride to friend "Last week I gave my last blowjob. I'm going to love
married life"

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 5:31 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

oups.com...

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

There is only me that is married. Only for another two weeks or so though.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 16, 5:31 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

oups.com...

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

I assumed the implication that the child is a ******* was not a dig at a
lack of wedlock. It was a way to describe having to go to B&Q for a child.
My Grandad can be "an annoying old *******" when he phones to say he is
having trouble with the TV remote etc and he was born in wedlock. The
Natural Philosopher used the words "little *******". That is more like a
term of endearment.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-17 10:53:07 +0100, "
said:

On Jul 16, 5:31 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 15, 10:09 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Instead it has lots of lovely sharp edges that will cut the little
*******'s hands to ribbons.

He might not be married to the child's mother but that doesn't mean
the child was born out of wedlock.

But he was born out of wedlock. ISTR a news item that said in 2005 more
children were born out of wedlock than in wedlock, the first year that this
had happened.

Adam-

OK, so was my first child. I would still be upset if someone called
him a little *******, even if it's technically correct.

MBQ

Oh it's not such a stigma.

Even the French referred to William the Conqueror as Guillaume le
Btard and I don't think that they thought badly of him. It was
certainly one in the eye for Harald.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-17 10:53:07 +0100, "
said:

On Jul 16, 5:31 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

That's where the Fitz bit of surnames comes from isn't it Fitz-Patrick
is the ******* son of Patrick

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 08:02:09 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
said:

That's where the Fitz bit of surnames comes from isn't it Fitz-Patrick
is the ******* son of Patrick

AWEM

Sort of like Patrick Fitzgordon and Gordon Fitzpatrick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-17 10:53:07 +0100, "
said:

On Jul 16, 5:31 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

And everyone post Henry VIII has been a ******* as far as the catholics
are concerned anyway..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
I assumed the implication that the child is a ******* was not a dig at a
lack of wedlock. It was a way to describe having to go to B&Q for a
child. My Grandad can be "an annoying old *******" when he phones to say
he is having trouble with the TV remote etc and he was born in wedlock.
The Natural Philosopher used the words "little *******".

I agree.

That is more like a term of endearment.

I wouldn't go *that* far in my assumptions :-)

What term would you use for your Grandad when you have to take him shopping
for electrical goods and he refuses everything from Germay and Japan and
wants to see the English stuff. Comet and Currys staff avoid him like the
plague and I am surprised he is not banned from either.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-18 21:07:37 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

"Owain" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
I assumed the implication that the child is a ******* was not a dig at
a lack of wedlock. It was a way to describe having to go to B&Q for a
child. My Grandad can be "an annoying old *******" when he phones to
say he is having trouble with the TV remote etc and he was born in
wedlock. The Natural Philosopher used the words "little *******".

I agree.

That is more like a term of endearment.

I wouldn't go *that* far in my assumptions :-)

What term would you use for your Grandad when you have to take him
shopping for electrical goods and he refuses everything from Germay and
Japan and wants to see the English stuff. Comet and Currys staff avoid
him like the plague and I am surprised he is not banned from either.

Adam

That's a challenge.

Options might be Poland, Hungary, Romania. Some manufacturers have
factories in these places and at least Poland ought to be acceptable.

Otherwise, how about the Lucky Goldstar company. Korea should be OK as
well, and the company has abbreviated its name to LG to appear more
discrete in the West.

At one time there was an obscure Norwegian manufacturer - can't
remember the name now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "ARWadsworth" contains these words:

What term would you use for your Grandad when you have to take him shopping
for electrical goods and he refuses everything from Germay and Japan and
wants to see the English stuff.

Hero?

If he fought in the 2nd world war (or even just lived through it) then
he has a right to feel aggrieved about the way in which the counties
that thankfully lost the war have now won the peace.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "ARWadsworth" contains these words:

What term would you use for your Grandad when you have to take him
shopping
for electrical goods and he refuses everything from Germay and Japan and
wants to see the English stuff.

Hero?

If he fought in the 2nd world war (or even just lived through it) then
he has a right to feel aggrieved about the way in which the counties
that thankfully lost the war have now won the peace.

Don't think so. It would be rather better to be happy that the countries
which demonstrated such bad behaviour have put all that behind them. The
people in those countries are no longer the same people he fought - there
have been 2 or 3 generations since.

He should be looking at why we "lost the peace", ie why our manufacturing
industry failed, rather than seeking to punish those who succeeded.

"Misguided" would be the word I'd use, but at this stage in his life I
wouldn't necessarily be trying to reeducate him.

/rant

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Roger" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry but it doesn't work like that for those who experienced it
directly, my father would not (knowingly) have Japanese stuff in his
house for many years, he had lost far to many of his mates to the
Burma–Thailand Railway ('The Railway of Death'), the only reason he
survived that ordeal was that he joined up under age in '39 and was
prevented from travelling (overseas) with his then regiment to
Singapore and straight into POW's. He was though able to 'accept' what
the Germans did to him in North Africa and later his regiment at
Arnham. He did eventually come to terms with what certain people did
in the name of Japan and their Emperor but I don't think he ever
forgave either Japan or Germany though - for his experiences and
wounds of the war troubled and stayed with him to his death bed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

reenews.net...

"Roger" wrote in message
[...]

Just because there are people who think that way doesn't make it any better.
It is stupid to blame the children and grandchildren of those who caused you
harm, especially when those children and grandchildren have done a good job
of not repeating the sins of their ancestors - that way lies vendetta, which
is a notoriously foolish thing.

I do realise that it can be hard to accept this - but it doesn't make it any
less true.

However in the bit you snipped, I did say "but at this stage in his life I
wouldn't necessarily be trying to reeducate him".

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message

":Jerry:" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Clive George" wrote in message
"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "ARWadsworth" contains
these words:

[...]

Indeed, but it's for the generations that follow to do the forgiving,
you just simply can't expect those who could well still be suffering
to do so.

I do realise that it can be hard to accept this - but it doesn't
make it any less true.

However in the bit you snipped, I did say "but at this stage in his
life I
wouldn't necessarily be trying to reeducate him".

But it wouldn't have been right to do that 40 years ago either, you
can't expect people who have experienced what they have to just wipe
their minds of what's go before - if it was that easy victim support
would be a doodle....