Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Playpit sand vs builders sand

Julian wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...
My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for her
son's sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on google
suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not stain clothes
but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with dirty stained
clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's the point?

Am I missing something here?

In an ideal world you need silica sand. It's light in colour and doesn't
stain. It's used as a riding surface for horse ménages. Builders merchants
sell it, (dried out) and I use it for sand blasting because it's cheap. [1]
[1] Cue the safety Nazi blathering on about silicosis!

Julian.

ITSR its called 'silver sand' as well