Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Playpit sand vs builders sand

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Julian wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...
My girlfriend wants me to pick up some playpit sand this week for her
son's sandpit. Why?
What is wrong with builders sand for a sandpit? A quick look on
google suggests that playpit sand is washed, dust free and will not
stain clothes but as he is 4 years old and guaranteed to come in with
dirty stained clothes even if he has not been in the sandpit what's
the point?

Am I missing something here?

In an ideal world you need silica sand. It's light in colour and
doesn't stain. It's used as a riding surface for horse ménages.
Builders merchants sell it, (dried out) and I use it for sand blasting
because it's cheap. [1]
[1] Cue the safety Nazi blathering on about silicosis!

Julian.

ITSR its called 'silver sand' as well

Isn't all sand silica?

I tried Paving sand in the playpit once... but that was so fine that it
did not make good sandcastles etc. You also had to wet it down to make
it any fun at all.

--
Cheers,

John.