Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which Home alarm system?

I was looking into having an intruder alarm system fitted at home. We live
in a 4 bed detached, 2 doors to the outside, 1 door into the attached garage
& a patio door. I was thinking of getting all the downstairs covered & the
upstairs landing. I would like to be able to set the downstairs from
upstairs (when we are all in/go to bed). I would like to be contacted to my
mobile phone if it goes off. Presuming this can all be achieved ok, I was
looking at using the Pyronix Stirling 10. Does anyone have any experience
of these? or can recommended any others?
Regards, Will

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Willi wrote:
I was looking into having an intruder alarm system fitted at home. We live
in a 4 bed detached, 2 doors to the outside, 1 door into the attached garage
& a patio door. I was thinking of getting all the downstairs covered & the
upstairs landing. I would like to be able to set the downstairs from
upstairs (when we are all in/go to bed). I would like to be contacted to my
mobile phone if it goes off. Presuming this can all be achieved ok, I was
looking at using the Pyronix Stirling 10. Does anyone have any experience
of these? or can recommended any others?
Regards, Will

A lot of the wireless solar alarms are very good and easy to instal.

I've got an older response alarm and am well please with it.

Some are single zone and others multizone so that you can protect
different areas; they all have a remote to set the system from anywhere.

Some models can phone you if an activation.

B&Q tend to have a good selection.

Geoff Lane

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also look at Gardtec, CPX has dialer/voice & wireless capability,
and the Gardtec 800 series are not much more and well regarded.
Take care not to damage cables during installation.
--
DB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Willi" wrote in message
I was looking into having an intruder alarm system fitted at home. We live
in a 4 bed detached, 2 doors to the outside, 1 door into the attached
garage & a patio door. I was thinking of getting all the downstairs
covered & the upstairs landing. I would like to be able to set the
downstairs from upstairs (when we are all in/go to bed). I would like to be
contacted to my mobile phone if it goes off. Presuming this can all be
achieved ok, I was looking at using the Pyronix Stirling 10. Does anyone
have any experience of these? or can recommended any others?
Regards, Will

I can recommend this wireless alarm http://tinyurl.com/jpmlc (link goes to
www.tlc-direct.com).

I installed one in our house about 7 months ago and it's been very good and
it's very easy to fit - except the external siren if, like me, you don't
like heights and feel very unsafe up ladders )

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Geoff Lane contains these words:

I've got an older response alarm

Is that one where they send a pensioner round to tell the burglars that
they don't want to do it like that, they want to do it like this...

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"John" writes:

"Willi" wrote in message
[...]

I would suggest defering the external sounder until you have got
familiar with the alarm and had a good period of running with no
false alarms. It only takes a couple of false alarms for your
neighbours to learn to ignore your alarm -- don't waste those on
initial teething troubles, such that you then have a significantly
less useful alarm. (By all means install the external sounder and
connect up the power so its running/diagnostic lights flash.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 21:20:44 -0000, "John" wrote:

I can recommend this wireless alarm http://tinyurl.com/jpmlc (link goes to
www.tlc-direct.com).

Wow - give the tinyurl AND where it point too :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from mike contains these words:

I can recommend this wireless alarm http://tinyurl.com/jpmlc (link goes to
www.tlc-direct.com).

Wow - give the tinyurl AND where it point too :-)

Very sensible. Quite a few people don't like following TinyUrls in case
they point to something inappropriate for work, for example.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from mike contains these words:

I can recommend this wireless alarm http://tinyurl.com/jpmlc (link goes
www.tlc-direct.com).

Wow - give the tinyurl AND where it point too :-)

Very sensible. Quite a few people don't like following TinyUrls in case
they point to something inappropriate for work, for example.

That's exactly why I do it )

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from mike contains these words:

I can recommend this wireless alarm http://tinyurl.com/jpmlc (link
goes to www.tlc-direct.com).

Wow - give the tinyurl AND where it point too :-)

Very sensible. Quite a few people don't like following TinyUrls in
case they point to something inappropriate for work, for example.

Which is why I was just about to suggest makeashorterlink.com (which says
where it is redirecting to), until I read that they've been aquired by
tinyurl. That's progress I guess!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:
Guy King wrote:
Very sensible. Quite a few people don't like following TinyUrls in
case they point to something inappropriate for work, for example.

Which is why I was just about to suggest makeashorterlink.com (which says
where it is redirecting to), until I read that they've been aquired by
tinyurl. That's progress I guess!

On the tinyurl.com website, you can set up and store a browser cookie to
ensure that you see the website URL before you end up swimming about in
it the next time you click one of those links.

http://tinyurl.com/preview.php

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 8, 7:13 pm, "Willi" wrote:
I was looking into having an intruder alarm system fitted at home. We live
in a 4 bed detached, 2 doors to the outside, 1 door into the attached garage
& a patio door. I was thinking of getting all the downstairs covered & the
upstairs landing.

Not an unusual specification.

I would like to be able to set the downstairs from
upstairs (when we are all in/go to bed).

Easily done with a keypad on the landing\in the bedroom or with remote
fobs.

I would like to be contacted to my
mobile phone if it goes off.

You can either get a panel that will do this or an add on dialler.
Either can have
options for SMS, voice or email

Presuming this can all be achieved ok, I was
looking at using the Pyronix Stirling 10. Does anyone have any experience
of these?

Sterling 10 - one of the worst panels ever built. Avoid it at all
costs. Also avoid
any wireless kit from B&Q, or pretty much any alarm panel from B&Q.

or can recommended any others?

Anything else really. Texecom Veritas and Texecom Speech and Text
Dialler
would be a good start, easy to follow instructions included!

For a reasonable wireless system (if you have to go wireless, wired is
the
preferred option) look at the Visonic Powermax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 8, 9:17 pm, "Dorothy Bradbury"
wrote:
Also look at Gardtec, CPX has dialer/voice & wireless capability,
and the Gardtec 800 series are not much more and well regarded.
Take care not to damage cables during installation.

I wouldn't advise a first time DIYer embark on an installation using
an 800 series panel. I
fit quite a bit of GardTec equipment but I still hate them, they make
life hard work for the
simplest of things, and the manuals are truly horrific.

The CPX isn't as bad, but I would still not recommend anything other
than a Texecom for
DIY as GardTec is trade only (mainly, odd bits do get sold to all and
sundry) so Texecom
win for DIYing on availability to non-trade, clearer instructions and
better support.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the manuals are truly horrific.

Agreed, they are pretty bad - not as bad as some manuals tho :-)

Novice DIY -- Texecom
o Exceptionally clear manuals -- good index, good tables, clear
illustrations
o Proven reliability on the panels -- really is important re false alarms
o Easy technical support -- a rarity these days

Gartec is probably too difficult for a novice alarm DIYer.

For installation manuals on either...
o Texecom -- do a Google for "Texecom veritas installation manual"
---- download for both the control panel & external sounder
---- Veritas 8 -- panel & keypad combined
---- Veritas R8 -- panel with remote keypad
---- Veritas Excel -- panel with LCD remote keypad
o Gardtec -- go to www.rswww.com and go to CP8L or CPX
---- download the installation manual
---- www.gx-security.co.uk list Gardtec, many others
---- CP8L -- panel with LCD remote keypad
---- CPX -- panel with LCD remote keypad, dialer & wireless capable

Reading the installation manuals is important in making a choice.

The benefit of Gardtec CP8L is the LCD "english" control panel at
less than half the price of Texecom Excel - so good value right now.

The CP8L is somewhat simpler to install than the higher end.
I think Gardtec even list the pinout for a Texecom SCB in the installation
guide,
which is what I will be using with one. Not had chance to check it is
correct.

Still do not trust wireless systems, be it PC or alarm or anything.
--
DB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Also look at Gardtec, CPX has dialer/voice & wireless capability,
and the Gardtec 800 series are not much more and well regarded.
Take care not to damage cables during installation.

I wouldn't advise a first time DIYer embark on an installation using
an 800 series panel. I
fit quite a bit of GardTec equipment but I still hate them, they make
life hard work for the
simplest of things, and the manuals are truly horrific.

The CPX isn't as bad, but I would still not recommend anything other
than a Texecom for
DIY as GardTec is trade only

There seems to be quite a few bits available from RS.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Feb 2007 06:02:32 -0800, "
mused:

The CPX isn't as bad, but I would still not recommend anything other
than a Texecom for
DIY as GardTec is trade only

There seems to be quite a few bits available from RS.

You snipped the bit where I said "(mainly, odd bits do get sold to all
and sundry".

Texecom is far more widely available than GardTec, and coupled with
the other advantages then GardTec is somewhere off the bottom of the
list. I fit loads of GardTec kit and I don't even recommend it too
highly to fellow security engineers. I would never recommend it to a
DIYer, apart from a maybe the CP8 and CPX to a pretty competent DIYer,
but even then I'd still recommend the Texecom if there were no reason
to offer the GardTec specifically.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dorothy
Bradbury writes

The benefit of Gardtec CP8L is the LCD "english" control panel at
less than half the price of Texecom Excel - so good value right now.

The CP8L is somewhat simpler to install than the higher end.
I think Gardtec even list the pinout for a Texecom SCB in the installation
guide,
which is what I will be using with one. Not had chance to check it is
correct.

Thanks for that, I have used the Scantronic 7651 (*1) with good results
which is a straightforward install with similar features but has the benefit of:
o EOL tamper option so you know which zone has a fault
o A good sized remote steel case so plenty of room for wiring and a big
battery
o Full alpha (dot matrix) LCD without a door (nothing to break)

Available from CPC at a similar price to the CP8L.

While we're sharing, I also rate:
o Texecom Impaq Plus shock sensors
o Vanguard Kudos bell boxes (*2), silk screened for that non-DIY look
o Lynteck Midas bell boxes where small and discrete is required
o Elmdene internal sounders, sooo loud, sooo cheap

All from CPC
(*1) Not ID'd as the 7651 at CPC, described as '8-Zone Metal Alarm Panel
with LCD Keypad'
(*2) Well hidden at CPC just described as 'Bell Boxes', Kudos is 9 sided
shape.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for that, I have used the Scantronic 7651 (*1) with good results
which is a straightforward install with similar features but has the benefit
of:
o EOL tamper option so you know which zone has a fault

EOL tamper is nice - because tracing tamper faults on DIY installations
most typically involves "insert link in global tamper & shut the thing up" :-)

o A good sized remote steel case so plenty of room for wiring and a big
battery

Steel is also preferable.

o Full alpha (dot matrix) LCD without a door (nothing to break)

Don't slam the alarm door, slam the cutlery draw :-)))

o Lynteck Midas bell boxes where small and discrete is required

That sounds interesting.

Add...
o Visonic ceiling PIR -- wiring neatly hidden in ceiling voids, 86mm dia
o Screened alarm cable -- just seems like a very long aerial otherwise

Cross mains at 90-degrees, keep 9-inches away. However when you
have innumerable taxi masts, to aircraft UHF blasts nearby it is prudent.
Costs only about £4 more a reel and might just reduce the odd false.

Scantronic are well regarded, will take a look.
If it takes a 7Ah battery then it sounds a better option.

Thanks.
--
DB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:59:08 GMT, "Dorothy Bradbury"
mused:

Add...
o Visonic ceiling PIR -- wiring neatly hidden in ceiling voids, 86mm dia
o Screened alarm cable -- just seems like a very long aerial otherwise

Cross mains at 90-degrees, keep 9-inches away. However when you
have innumerable taxi masts, to aircraft UHF blasts nearby it is prudent.
Costs only about £4 more a reel and might just reduce the odd false.

If you're using screened alarm cable make sure you earth it at one end
only, usually at the panel.

Scantronic are well regarded, will take a look.
If it takes a 7Ah battery then it sounds a better option.

Only thing that puts me off Scantronic is it's user friendliness. It
has deteriorated since the new range of panles came out.

--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scantronic 7651

That should read Scantronic 9651.
--
DB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you're using screened alarm cable make sure you earth it at one end
only, usually at the panel.

Yes, thanks.

Only thing that puts me off Scantronic is it's user friendliness. It
has deteriorated since the new range of panles came out.

I notice the keypad lacks "Yes / No" keys like the Gardtec.

Q: How is end user setting (trying to find a user manual online)?

Vis., it will not just be me that will be using it. Thanks.
--
DB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:30:28 GMT, "Dorothy Bradbury"
mused:

Only thing that puts me off Scantronic is it's user friendliness. It
has deteriorated since the new range of panles came out.

I notice the keypad lacks "Yes / No" keys like the Gardtec.

It has a tick and a cross, and ABCD buttons though.

http://www.coopersecurity.co.uk/documents/1170_9651EN_user_guide_uk_497282_issue_1.pdf
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It has a tick and a cross, and ABCD buttons though.

Indeed :-)
Looks reasonable, display could be bigger but sadly they are not
exactly doing 15" touchscreen TFTs at that price point as yet :-)

http://www.coopersecurity.co.uk/documents/1170_9651EN_user_guide_uk_497282_issue_1.pdf

Now downloaded :-)

The CPC offering is 9561UK (ungraded), the 9651EN is the grade 2
panel; EN meeting new EN 50131 and PD6662 requirements (Grade 2).

Actually the usability of the CP8L is easier with Full/Part set buttons (like
Veritas 8) and has Yes/No answer buttons which makes things easier.
Both are good systems, however that swings it back to the CP8L.
--
DB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dorothy
Bradbury writes
Scantronic 7651

That should read Scantronic 9651.

Sorry bout that, I had a moment . . . .
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dorothy
Bradbury writes
It has a tick and a cross, and ABCD buttons though.

Indeed :-)
Looks reasonable, display could be bigger but sadly they are not
exactly doing 15" touchscreen TFTs at that price point as yet :-)

http://www.coopersecurity.co.uk/docu...r_guide_uk_497

282_issue_1.pdf

Now downloaded :-)

The CPC offering is 9561UK (ungraded), the 9651EN is the grade 2
panel; EN meeting new EN 50131 and PD6662 requirements (Grade 2).

TBH I can't remember what came but I know there was a lot of EN
compliance stuff on many of the parts. CPC are bad for not updating mfr
part details like that on a developing product and I wouldn't be surprised if it
is ENs that get shipped when UKs have filtered thro the stock.

Actually the usability of the CP8L is easier with Full/Part set buttons (like
Veritas 8) and has Yes/No answer buttons which makes things easier.
Both are good systems, however that swings it back to the CP8L.

The place where I put the Scantronic is used by many, all marketing types
but they don't seem to have any problems, the A, B, C, D buttons mean
you can have multiple part sets or you can just drill in that A is full set, B
is part (there is a door to the left intended for labelling on the inside flap). I
think the large tick and cross (embossed onto the illuminated buttons) is a
pretty intuitive as Yes and No but that's personal. I think it's one where a
laminated crib sheet is more useful than the user manual.

Other strong points a
Ability to label zones in alpha (so that it shows 'back door' rather than
zone05).
16 user codes (handy if you want to track who is accessing)
256 entry time stamped log (CP8L drops to 64 if time stamped) but not
downloadable.
3 configurable outputs vs 2 fixed, 1 configurable on CP8L.
Again, plenty of room for extras in the case, extra fusing, relays if reqd and
yes it takes a 7Ah batt.

But there are weaknesses:
Counter intuitive user reset after alarm/power fail etc: Enter code a second
time and hit Tick for Yes to reset (I was used to No to reset).
In common with seemingly all cheaper panels low power feed from panel
(1A), fine for accessories but I like a lot of sounders and the limit was
busted. I know I could use SCB set sounders instead of SAB but I put in a
separate fused feeds direct from the battery to spread the load.

HTH
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TBH I can't remember what came but I know there was a lot of EN
compliance stuff on many of the parts. CPC are bad for not updating mfr
part details like that on a developing product and I wouldn't be surprised
if it is ENs that get shipped when UKs have filtered thro the stock.

It may well be.

I think it's one where a laminated crib sheet is more useful
than the user manual.

Very much so, indeed that goes for several consumer devices (the absolute
worst being DVD recorders which as a rule have simply ghastly interfaces :-)

Ability to label zones in alpha (so that it shows 'back door' rather than
zone05).

An improvement that should have been done even to the LED ones.
A simple slide-in letterplate backlit by the LED if necessary.

But there are weaknesses:
Counter intuitive user reset after alarm/power fail etc: Enter code a second
time and hit Tick for Yes to reset (I was used to No to reset).

I do wonder if they actually bother to flowchart them.
Then again I've wondered that about the programming industry for years :-)

In common with seemingly all cheaper panels low power feed from panel
(1A), fine for accessories but I like a lot of sounders and the limit was
busted. I know I could use SCB set sounders instead of SAB but I put in a
separate fused feeds direct from the battery to spread the load.

As a rule treat it as 0.8A, because at 1A the regulation can go to pot.
Easy enough to add a second PSU - but it adds another box, space etc.

Also the higher the current draw, the higher shorter the battery life on
standby;
and battery life also diminishing with time which can lead to odd behaviour.

Thanks.
--
DB.