Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dorothy Bradbury Dorothy Bradbury is offline

Default Which Home alarm system?

the manuals are truly horrific.

Agreed, they are pretty bad - not as bad as some manuals tho :-)

Novice DIY -- Texecom
o Exceptionally clear manuals -- good index, good tables, clear
illustrations
o Proven reliability on the panels -- really is important re false alarms
o Easy technical support -- a rarity these days

Gartec is probably too difficult for a novice alarm DIYer.

For installation manuals on either...
o Texecom -- do a Google for "Texecom veritas installation manual"
---- download for both the control panel & external sounder
---- Veritas 8 -- panel & keypad combined
---- Veritas R8 -- panel with remote keypad
---- Veritas Excel -- panel with LCD remote keypad
o Gardtec -- go to www.rswww.com and go to CP8L or CPX
---- download the installation manual
---- www.gx-security.co.uk list Gardtec, many others
---- CP8L -- panel with LCD remote keypad
---- CPX -- panel with LCD remote keypad, dialer & wireless capable

Reading the installation manuals is important in making a choice.

The benefit of Gardtec CP8L is the LCD "english" control panel at
less than half the price of Texecom Excel - so good value right now.

The CP8L is somewhat simpler to install than the higher end.
I think Gardtec even list the pinout for a Texecom SCB in the installation
guide,
which is what I will be using with one. Not had chance to check it is
correct.

Still do not trust wireless systems, be it PC or alarm or anything.
--
DB.