Posted to uk.d-i-y
curious

Default alarm system - residential

I installed an alarm system some time ago with the SAB unit in
the bellbox wired in. The problem I face is that if I remove all power
in order to carry out work on the unit or the wiring then the SAB will
activate the siren to the annoyance of all the neighbours. My control
panel is an Accenta G3 and the bellbox is a Vortex YS 09 which has SAB
and SCB functions. I need to alter the wiring to disable the SAB unit
but I am too old to be shinning up ladders and removing covers. I
think that there ought to be a method of changing the wiring at the
Control Panel to cut out the SAB. I know that it reduces the security
aspect of the SAB but I think that that would be a price worth paying
to prevent being "sent to Coventry" by neighbours. Can anyone give me
a suggestion. Regards, Curious

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"curious" wrote in message
oups.com...
I installed an alarm system some time ago with the SAB unit in
the bellbox wired in. The problem I face is that if I remove all power
in order to carry out work on the unit or the wiring then the SAB will
activate the siren to the annoyance of all the neighbours. My control
panel is an Accenta G3 and the bellbox is a Vortex YS 09 which has SAB
and SCB functions. I need to alter the wiring to disable the SAB unit
but I am too old to be shinning up ladders and removing covers. I
think that there ought to be a method of changing the wiring at the
Control Panel to cut out the SAB. I know that it reduces the security
aspect of the SAB but I think that that would be a price worth paying
to prevent being "sent to Coventry" by neighbours. Can anyone give me
a suggestion. Regards, Curious

Okay, this is fairly easy to do...
You should have the following wires up to your bell box...

0v
+12v (Permanent)
Tamper
Alarm
Strobe

I don't have my alarm manuals to hand, so can't look up the terminals on
your panel right now.

You just need to make sure the 0v and +12v are kept powered up somehow.
If you can accept a bit of noise for 30 seconds or so, just disconnect the
wires, then connected them to the battery while you work on the panel (This
is what I usually do)

If you are planning on playing with the panel frequently, then just wire
some kind of plug/socket on these wires so you can disconnect them from the
panel, then quickly connect them to the battery - but this is probably not
required!

the only other way would to have a spare pair of wires to the bell box, cut
the + wire on the internal battery in the bell box and connect these two
wires to the two ends - then on the other end, wire in a switch - but that
does means going up the ladder :-)

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"Sparks" wrote in message
"curious" wrote in message
oups.com...
I installed an alarm system some time ago with the SAB unit in
the bellbox wired in. The problem I face is that if I remove all power
in order to carry out work on the unit or the wiring then the SAB will
activate the siren to the annoyance of all the neighbours. My control
panel is an Accenta G3 and the bellbox is a Vortex YS 09 which has SAB
and SCB functions. I need to alter the wiring to disable the SAB unit
but I am too old to be shinning up ladders and removing covers. I
think that there ought to be a method of changing the wiring at the
Control Panel to cut out the SAB. I know that it reduces the security
aspect of the SAB but I think that that would be a price worth paying
to prevent being "sent to Coventry" by neighbours. Can anyone give me
a suggestion. Regards, Curious

Just re-read your message - you can't disable the SAB from the panel, as it
is a feature of the bellbox it's self - When the power is removed to the
box, the internal battery in the bell box activates the siren for 20
minutes - The only thing you can do is as I suggested before, or cut the
battery out totally (some bell boxes have a jumper to disconnect the battery
for servicing) whatever you decide, to permanently disable the SAB, you, or
someone, needs to go up the ladder! - If it is just for this one time, then
I would just connect the 0v and +12v to the battery while the work is
completed.

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

curious wrote:
I installed an alarm system some time ago with the SAB unit in
the bellbox wired in. The problem I face is that if I remove all
power in order to carry out work on the unit or the wiring then the
SAB will activate the siren to the annoyance of all the neighbours.
My control panel is an Accenta G3 and the bellbox is a Vortex YS 09
which has SAB and SCB functions. I need to alter the wiring to
disable the SAB unit but I am too old to be shinning up ladders and
removing covers. I think that there ought to be a method of changing
the wiring at the Control Panel to cut out the SAB. I know that it
reduces the security aspect of the SAB but I think that that would be
a price worth paying to prevent being "sent to Coventry" by
neighbours. Can anyone give me a suggestion. Regards, Curious

I suppose an alarm installer would just shimmy up the ladder first to
disable it before working on the unit, but manufacturers could start
implementing a remote control device whereby it could disable the SAB via a
hand set.
Bearing in mind this would have to be a key coded device relevant to the
same code on the panel

--

Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

Okay, this is fairly easy to do...
You should have the following wires up to your bell box...

Okay, here are your terminal numbers (to the left of the three fuses under
the keypad)...

A - 0v
D - +12v (Permanent)
T - Tamper
B - Alarm

So on your panel, connect the wire in terminal A to the negative on the
battery, and the terminal D to the positive
This will stop the siren from sounding as long as the battery is charged
(probably weeks depending on the battery size and condition!)

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mindwipe

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
curious wrote:
[...]

just a quicky reply from me
i'm sure others here are more informed than me
however when i changed my control panel after i moved into my current house
(old one was duff)
i simply used a pp3 9v battery and connected it to the pos and neg feed out
to the sab and it stayed quiet while i carried out the replacement
connection was rough and ready
i pulled out the wires and stuck them to the batt terminals with blutack
although i believe you can get a snap connector from maplins for just over
10p
HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
curious

Thanks, Sparks. I haven't tried it yet since I will have to forage a
way to the control panel first. What I really wanted to do was to
re-wire the Control Panel so as to disable the SAB permanently rather
than as a one-off. I could call an installer but he is going to charge
me £50 or so as a call out charge for 5 minutes up a ladder and I
baulk at that. Anyway - Many thanks and I'll either give it a go or
chicken out. Eric

Posted to uk.d-i-y
curious

Hi Sparks - see previous message - Regards Eric

Posted to uk.d-i-y
curious

Dead right - but I don't fancy paying an installer £50 - £80 just for
5 minutes up a ladder. Thanks for the reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
curious

Thanks, Sparks. This sounds more like it. There are a couple of
problems here. Firstly there isn't a keypad on this Control Panel but
I'm sure that I could still find the lettered terminals. The second
problem is that if the rechargeable battery in the SAB remains charged
then if the wiring is disturbed or disconnected as could happen with
feet when one is trying to crawl around in a tight loft then the SAB
would still activate if they became disconnected. Ideally I need to
deactivate it, remove any possibility of recharging and allow the SAB
batteries to leak their charge away by decay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
curious

Sounds very rough and ready but if it works then that's good enough.
You suggest a pp3 9v battery to replace the whole contol panel - others
suggest using the 12v battery within the control panel itself if the
panel isn't being replaced. Sounds like the same idea - many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"curious" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, Sparks. This sounds more like it. There are a couple of
problems here. Firstly there isn't a keypad on this Control Panel but
I'm sure that I could still find the lettered terminals. The second
problem is that if the rechargeable battery in the SAB remains charged
then if the wiring is disturbed or disconnected as could happen with
feet when one is trying to crawl around in a tight loft then the SAB
would still activate if they became disconnected. Ideally I need to
deactivate it, remove any possibility of recharging and allow the SAB
batteries to leak their charge away by decay.

Then you either need to go up the ladder, or disconnect the 0v wire
(terminal A) permanently (which will result in the box sounding for 20
minutes) then it should remain silent forevermore (Unless the alarm goes off
of course - but do test this if this is the case!)

The +12v must stay connected, or the box will not sound ever again (when the
alarm goes off, a negative is applied to terminal B, using terminal D as the
+12v)

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
curious

Sparks - This sounds just what I want, I could pick my time for the 20
min. sounding, warn neighbours and then that should be it - thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"curious" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sparks - This sounds just what I want, I could pick my time for the 20
min. sounding, warn neighbours and then that should be it - thanks.

There is a chance this may not work as I described though - you will need to
test the alarm when it has finished sounding, to make sure it still sounds
in an alarm condition.

This may not work, or it may result in the alarm sounding for 20 minutes
again, even if you unset the alarm - you won't know until you try it I am
afraid!

If you can avoid sounding the alarm, then please do so, if people hear it go
off in the future, they may just ignore it to the tune of "That BLOODY alarm
is going off again!"

Also, it may sound for more than 20 minutes if the bell box is old - by law
it should only sound for 20 minutes though! if it is old, then it will
probably sound for less, as the battery may be knackered anyway!

Sparks...

prog. therm. and heat pump questions Abby Normal Home Repair 119 December 22nd 05 12:38 PM
Alarm system motion detector Tom Gardner Metalworking 2 July 19th 05 03:49 PM
more fun with air conditioning J Jensen Home Repair 93 September 7th 04 10:39 AM
Alarm system prices Alex H UK diy 0 October 22nd 03 10:21 AM
FS Texecom Veritas Alarm System Colin M UK diy 1 October 9th 03 06:34 PM