Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alarm system replacement

Can someone tell me what alarm will be best to replace my old one. The
old system is Napco and the motion detectors must be replaced because
they click when anyone walks passed them. All the wires are up in the
attic so I plan on reusing them. And the central controller, battery
backup and alarm horns can be reused. TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Don is offline

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone tell me what alarm will be best to replace my old one. The
old system is Napco and the motion detectors must be replaced because they
click when anyone walks passed them.

do they still work? clicking bothersome?

All the wires are up in the attic so I plan on reusing them. And the
central controller, battery backup and alarm horns can be reused. TIA

is there something wrong with the old one? there are many that will work GE
NX systems, Napco, ademco are all good systems. How many zones does your
system have? If battery is a few years old I would replace it anyway, they
are cheap and crucial part of system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..

Can someone tell me what alarm will be best to replace my old one. The
old system is Napco and the motion detectors must be replaced because they
click when anyone walks passed them.

do they still work? clicking bothersome?

All the wires are up in the attic so I plan on reusing them. And the
central controller, battery backup and alarm horns can be reused. TIA

is there something wrong with the old one? there are many that will work GE
NX systems, Napco, ademco are all good systems. How many zones does your
system have? If battery is a few years old I would replace it anyway, they
are cheap and crucial part of system.

Hi.
Battery! When I looked at one in my house, it all dried up and cracked.
I was getting battery low alarm. Replaced it for 10.00.
If I needed one now, I'd go wireless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone tell me what alarm will be best to replace my old one. The
old system is Napco and the motion detectors must be replaced because they
click when anyone walks passed them.

do they still work? clicking bothersome?

Yes but the opaque plastic over the mirrors have cracked. The clicking
is a bit bothersome.

All the wires are up in the attic so I plan on reusing them. And the
central controller, battery backup and alarm horns can be reused. TIA

is there something wrong with the old one? there are many that will work GE
NX systems, Napco, ademco are all good systems. How many zones does your
system have? If battery is a few years old I would replace it anyway, they
are cheap and crucial part of system.

Good advice on the battery. I'll do it once I settle on what controller
I'll have in the end.
The system has about 6 zones. But, I've forgotten how to set the entry
codes for each zone and the entries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone tell me what alarm will be best to replace my old one. The
old system is Napco and the motion detectors must be replaced because
they click when anyone walks passed them. All the wires are up in the
attic so I plan on reusing them. And the central controller, battery
backup and alarm horns can be reused. TIA

Just replace the offending detectors, and check the battery. You
can buy them easily on the web or even at radio shack.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Don wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..

Can someone tell me what alarm will be best to replace my old one.
The old system is Napco and the motion detectors must be replaced
because they click when anyone walks passed them.

do they still work? clicking bothersome?

All the wires are up in the attic so I plan on reusing them. And
the central controller, battery backup and alarm horns can be
reused. TIA

is there something wrong with the old one? there are many that will
work GE NX systems, Napco, ademco are all good systems. How many
zones does your system have? If battery is a few years old I would
replace it anyway, they are cheap and crucial part of system.

Hi.
Battery! When I looked at one in my house, it all dried up and cracked.
I was getting battery low alarm. Replaced it for 10.00.
If I needed one now, I'd go wireless.

I will replace the battery. But I don't think wireless is the right
direction given that there are wires present. How easy is it to jam a
wireless system?
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can just upgrade your existing NAPCO. I did that several years ago and
have been very happy.

Try this web site to help you look at various options:
http://www.bass-home.com/

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone tell me what alarm will be best to replace my old one. The
old system is Napco and the motion detectors must be replaced because they
click when anyone walks passed them. All the wires are up in the attic so
I plan on reusing them. And the central controller, battery backup and
alarm horns can be reused. TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bra Bra is offline

wa3cuj wrote:
You can just upgrade your existing NAPCO. I did that several years ago and
have been very happy.

Try this web site to help you look at various options:
http://www.bass-home.com/

http://www.bbbwestflorida.org/common...l?bid=41001663

check this out before using bass
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have hard wired Honywells that click when you walk by, they always
have clicked and work fine, its when they dont click I will know they
are bad. So whats the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. My comment was not meant to be an endorsement of Bass, just a
pointer to a place with a lot of info. I have never done business with
them. I had all of my work performed by a local alarm installer.

"Bra" wrote in message
news
wa3cuj wrote:
You can just upgrade your existing NAPCO. I did that several years ago
and have been very happy.

Try this web site to help you look at various options:
http://www.bass-home.com/

http://www.bbbwestflorida.org/common...l?bid=41001663

check this out before using bass

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:

Don wrote:

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Hi,
Jammig itse;f will cause an alarm!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd have to guess that some of the monitoring companies get upset if
you mix and match parts. So, with monitored system, it would be wise
to call the company, and see what they reccomend. If it's a local
alert with a siren or light, then it's less a concern.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

. ..