Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms,misc.consumers.house

Default your feedback on DIY security alarm system

Hi,

I am planning to purchase a DIY home alarm system and I was wondering if
I could get your opinions about the alarm systems present he
http://www.intellahome.com/shop/bapacks.html
Systems that captured my attention:
- Ademco Wireless Ready Package
- Ademco Plus PowerPack V20P
- PowerMax Plus Wireless System

Here are my constraints:
- Want to cover about 10 windows and 3 doors
- Need a feature that has the ability to send alerts via. phone, e-mail
- Easy to install (wireless most probably)
- Price limit $350
- Expandability (ability to monitor to about 30 devices)
- Supports a couple of motion sensors

Nice to have:
- Access from the internet to the alarm system
- Ability to send alerts to more than one phone number

I am new to home security alarm systems but I have chalked down all the
features that I like to see. I would really appreciate if you would
please give me feedback on the systems that are present in the web page.
I am open to alternatives.

Thanks for your time.
Posted to alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms,misc.consumers.house

I had a Caddx NX8E system before rebuilding our home. It was a great
security system, and could be integrated to home automation with a
little effort (and $). It supported GE/ITI wireless sensors which are
excellent.

I now have an Elk M1G which is very easy for a DIY'er to install and
maintain. I think it will do pretty much everything you're looking
for, but will exceed your $350 project cost by a bit. You can access
the M1G via your cell phone to determine status and to control pretty
much everthing you would want to from a remote location. Internet
control is available at extra cost.

Check out http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/m1main.htm

I would encourage you to do hardwired sensors as much as possible. The
money you save over wireless can be put to better use in the control
panel itself.

I do not have any financial interest in any of the items I recommend.

Others here are intimately familiar with the system you''re looking at
and will likely give you some good advice.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

What do these zones mean and what are advantages of having zones?

Alarms will malfunction sometimes. Have false alarms. It is easier to track
down the problem if sensors are on different zones. The alarm company will
get a code which says which zone tripped.

Also fire sensors are on a different zone. When the signal is sent, the
alarm company can tell if it is fire, burglary, etc. Some have medical
alerts on a separate zone. Also they can detect a burglar moving around in a
building if sensors are on many zones. A door trips, then a motion sensor,
then an interior door, etc. An alarm system can send multiple alarms as
sensors are tripped.

Also wireless is cheaper to install, but the batteries can cost a small
fortune over many years. Might be less expensive over the long run to
install a wired system.

Posted to alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms,misc.consumers.house

aerosmith wrote:

[...]

My favorite is a simply acquiring a coupla signs with the name of a
security co. that's active in your area (from eBay or locally), along
with good locks and smart security practices.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
rob rob is offline

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:08:08 GMT, aerosmith
wrote:

Thank you very much for your feedback. All the alarm systems talk about
zones. What do these zones mean and what are advantages of having zones?

First off, I'm no guru on this but have had 2 wired systems in 2
homes. I'd suggest to talk to a respected company that installs or
sells the alarms. They can educate you best.

Zones are basically alarm sensors assigned to a group and all groups
get monitored by your alarm simultaneously. You might, for example,
have say 3 zones which means 3 groups of sensors... ie: doors are
assigned to zone 1, downstairs windows on zone 2 and upstairs sensors
assigned to zone 3. The reason for this is convenience. If you have
a break in or malfunction, you can narrow it down to the zone where it
occured or maybe you just want to activate the alarm for one zone or
all zones except one zone. Of course you don't have to have zones but
I think the more sensors you have, the more you'll like zones.

I can't tell you exactly how many sensors can be assigned to a zone or
how many zones you can have because that depends on the make and model
of your alarm system. I would suggest to pick a system which has a
little more than you need just in case you want to modify your system
or home.
Posted to alt.security.doityourself,alt.security.alarms,misc.consumers.house

Jim wrote:

Bob (but not THAT Bob) wrote:

My favorite is a simply acquiring a coupla signs with the name of a
security co. that's active in your area (from eBay or locally), along
with good locks and smart security practices.

Sure.

You must be related to the guy in this area who thought the same thing.
And when the 3 guys pushed their way in, with only his wife at home,
afterwards wished he'd had something more substantial than a lawn sign
and a good lock. You know how it goes. If you have a lawn sign, you
got to have an alarm installed in your house. If you have an alarm you
must have something valuable to protect. Therefore, it's much easier
to force a woman, who's all alone, to show them where all the goodies
are than it is to break in, setting off the alarm, and having to leave
before the police get there.

Oh yeah, did I mention one of the side benefits of a lawn sign? If you
catch it early enough, you can probably beat out the fire with one of
those signs too.

You'll never know the trauma of experiencing a break-in or a fire,
until it happens to you.

But .... I know how it goes. Seein is belevein ...... huh?

I'm talking about a neighborhood (not a 'hood) where everyone else
actually HAS a security system - the guy with just the sign wins.

I once worked in a store that had a security co. alarm system, and the
ONLY theft EVER turned out to be the security monkeys " checking the
alarm".

And I said "smart security practices' too, which includes not letting
lowlifes who do your gardening, deliveries, roofing see what "goodies"
you have.

I doubt anyone ever broke into a house with a security sign and unknown
contents "on spec".