Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Completely OT- Legal tender

On 2007-01-17 10:47:21 +0000, "Robert Laws" said:

The poor sod who will have to count it all has not done you any harm;
he didn't make the rules or probably have anything to do with the
decisions. Why make his life a misery? This is little better than
punching a random stranger on the nose because you are feel cross.

Robert

He/she is a petty bureaucrat who is unable or unwilling to get a proper job.

Actually, something like this would probably add some colour to a
rather boring existence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 11:02:21 +0000, John Rumm said:

Mary Fisher wrote:

PLONK!

Oh the irony.

ROTFL....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

£100+lot-of-bureaucracy tradesma^H^Hperson's parking permit. So when I
got PCNed with my permit displayed I got somewhat ****ed off!

Aren't they supposed to provide photos now to prove you were there ?

- if this showed the permit on display I think someone would get a bit
of a talking to...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 10:44:33 +0000, "AA" said:

I was with you up to this point. If it makes you happy to go and dump
a pile of coins on their desk fair enough. But to assume that the
ordinary folk, doing what they are paid (probably poorly) to do are
"low life muppets" is just plain insulting.

The Medway Handyman wrote:
But will the no life muppets at my local parking office know that?

There is nothing wrong with being insulting on occasions, and this is
certainly such an occasion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-16 23:49:40 +0000, "Andy Dingley "
said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be -

Yes.

but I'm going to do it anyway.

Do you think they care? Do you think they notice?

Console yourself with the concept of "right livelihood" and the fact
that they're traffic wardens, whilst you aren't.

They often seem to be short people as well...

The person taking the money will have no idea what you are griping
about and all you will have done is made yourself look a bit stupid in
front of someone who isn't involved.

Except that they are involved because they are part of the unnecessary
machinery.

This is not gainful employment either for the individual concerned nor
for their employer, the council tax payer.

Really if local authorities can't come up with a better way to use
their headcount than this, somebody needs to be fired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 10:07:45 +0000, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the
course of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they
haven't caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p
coins, £5 in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't
refuse to accept.
Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

The person you're going to make count it all - was it their fault you
got a ticket?

Si

They are part of the department involved in this. If a reasonable
number of people pay their fines in a way that is inconvenient for the
collectors, it may, in time, result in their thinking that there is
more sensible and gainful employment (which there is).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "paul"
saying something like:

My message is not off topic as it is a direct reply to the subject
of yours.

Christ on a crutch.
Where are all these holier-than-thou ******s coming from these days?
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I suppose you think speed cameras are there to raise revenue too.

That's a big Ding! there, Slowboy.
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

Generally you do not own the road outside your house

I do. In fact, you probably do too, unless you live in a treehouse. It's
just that the half of the road I/you own isn't really mine/yours any
longer for all intents and purposes, it being adopted by the LA for use
as a road.

or have any special rights.

You have the right to drive a little bit faster, Slowboy.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 17 Jan 2007 15:46:49 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

in a place designed to trap the unwary.

There is a very easy way not to get caught by a speed camera, don't break
the speed limit. There are signs and the type, location and lighting
should tell you what the speed limit is without signs. If the limit
differs from what it should be for the type, location and lighting then
there must be small repeator boards telling you the speed limit.

I am currently waiting to see if I will be issued with a notice for
getting flashed on a road I use infrequently. The previous road
markings had been burned off and the terminal(big)/repeater(small)
signage replaced with about 15 identical signs featuring a speed limit
roundel above a camera indicator sign. All perfectly legal, and I
imagine the authority concerned has been sensible enough to ensure that
the roundels are within the legal specs, but to my eye they are
probably the smallest allowable size for a terminal (change of limit)
sign. Those that function as repeaters are the same size and much
larger than normal repeaters.

Of the 15 signs over about 4 miles, 6 indicate a change in the limit.
You can discount the first as it grabs your attention, and the last as
it indicates NSL anyway, but that leaves 4 changes of speed limit in 13
signs, which, numerals apart, look absolutely identical. (The road
goes NSL-50-40-50-40-50-NSL where it used to be
NSL-something-NSL-something-NSL.) I *knew* there were speed
restrictions and I *knew* there were cameras, and I wouldn't argue with
either. But the confusing and unnecessary signage fooled me. I hit
the second camera thinking it and I were still in a 50 limit. I'd
mentally stopped taking as much notice of the signs as the authority
(and the self-righteous) would like. Thing is, I've never run a camera
elsewhere where they'd stuck to the big signs and repeaters. Not once.

Someone has no idea of human factors. If airline pilots had to listen
to monotonic voices constantly telling them to fly at a certain height
and then the same monotonic voice told them to fly at a different
height, they'd be falling out of the sky after mid-air collisions
caused by someone not noticing the change. But I can't decide if the
signage design on this stretch of road is malicious or incompetent.
Either explanation seems equally likely.

Anyway, you say "don't break the limit" and in general I'd agree.
However, it's possible for the authorities to make it far more
difficult than necessary for drivers to follow what that limit is at
any given time.

Rant over ;-)

--
"Press all the keys to continue..."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall
saying something like:

said that you were depositing a 'substantial sum' and needed to park nearby.
It works in Perth, anyhow... ;-)

People have substantial sums in Perth?

Some of the wimmen have substantial bums.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:

Aren't they supposed to provide photos now to prove you were there ?

How does that prove when/or for how long you were there?

Are .jpeg compressed photos accepted as "evidential quality", one of my
local authority customers seems convinced they need to use .tiff files
instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Colin Bignell wrote;

Mind you, if they do accept payment this way, which they don't have
to, they will probably have an automatic coin counter, which would
take between 30 and 60 seconds to check the lot.

Of course they have to - all the coins will be below the maximum for legal
tender.

Unless you know something I don't?

If you had read and understood my original reply to your post, you would
know the same. The Bank of England used to have a good explanation of legal
tender and its very limited meaning, but that link no longer works.

To put it simply: nobody, at any time, under any circumstances is under any
compulsion to accept any form of payment, simply because it complies with
the definition of legal tender.

In a settlement of a debt, which does not include the payment of a fine, an
offer to pay the exact amount in legal tender will protect you from future
civil action for non-payment, but there is still no requirement to accept
the payment.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 17, 3:35 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Aidan" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

Many wardens are liarsEvidence?

and the wardens who are the most devious andpersistent work dodgers get
promoted to supervisory positions.

Evidence?

Mary

Circumspice.

Haven't you, or anyone you know, ever received a ticket where the
warden has misrepresented the time, location, etc.?

No, but that's not evidence of your claims.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
.uk...

I live not far from a football ground and when fans come from outside the
area they think they have the right to park their car anywhere they like
ie
outside residents houses making it impossible for them residents to find
parking space themselves.

Unless its a designated residents bay they *do* have the right to park
outside your house...

Except in a marked parking bay, nobody has any right to park in the road.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:12:06 -0800, Aidan wrote:

On Jan 17, 3:35 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Aidan" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Many wardens are liarsEvidence?

and the wardens who are the most devious andpersistent work dodgers get promoted to supervisory positions.

Evidence?

Mary

Circumspice.

Haven't you, or anyone you know, ever received a ticket where the
warden has misrepresented the time, location, etc.?

It's always worth having a close scrutiny of the PCN as the slightest
error is a valid (legal) defence.

Some colours are not official colours as understood by the DVLC I think
at least one of yellow, orange or brown does not officially exist. If the
PCN mentions the colour of the van and it's not the same as the V5, then
bingo, you win.

The wardens are getting very very sharp and thorough they take the view "if
in doubt issue a ticket". I got one where my scratching had gone slightly
over the wrong day but I was able to escape the penalty on the grounds of
the visitors' permit being reasonably correct.

The most annoying one I got was where I has purchased a parking meter
voucher, the notice on the opposite side of the road said "Parking meter
bay". There was a parking meter on my side of the road ,very nearby, for
the bays it was by, the but the bay I was in was a "residents' permit only".
Which meant on that job I was working for LB Camden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 16:24:46 +0000, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
If there had been a bank/building society nearby, you could have
said that you were depositing a 'substantial sum' and needed to park nearby.
It works in Perth, anyhow... ;-)

People have substantial sums in Perth?

Of course. It's the exchange rate. £100 Scots is only worth £8.33 in English.

Now, if you tried telling an Aberdonian traffic warden that you'd been
*withdrawing* a 'substantial sum', you wouldn't have been believed.

Owain

Same goes for an Aberdonian accountant, I'm given to understand. In
comparison with a duck's arse on water, I am told that these can
achieve several atmospheres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 19:25:34 +0000, Andy Burns said:

Colin Wilson wrote:

Aren't they supposed to provide photos now to prove you were there ?

How does that prove when/or for how long you were there?

Are .jpeg compressed photos accepted as "evidential quality", one of my
local authority customers seems convinced they need to use .tiff files
instead.

There's a lot of information and misinformation surrounding this whole area.

For example, at one point, some clever dick lawyer managed to get his
client acquitted of some charge involving CCTV evidence because the
electronic compression used was MPEG. The encoding scheme for this
involves both spatial and temporal compression - i.e. compression
within frames and also of changes between frames using lossy
algorithms. His argument was that because of this, it could be
possible that some evidence information could be lost in the temporal
compression from frame to frame. The argument is bogus in reality, but
the technically illiterate judge/jury bought the argument. There
was then an uptake of Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) compression because that
does not use temporal compression nad is lossless in the time sense.
Nonetheless JPEG is, in general, lossy so one wonders why arguments
haven't been made there.

TIFF is generally accepted as more universally useful for quality imaging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

That's not evidence that "Many wardens are liars"

Nor that "the wardens who are the most devious andpersistent work dodgers
get promoted to supervisory positions."

People say silly things which could be libellous.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

There is a very easy way not to get caught by a speed camera, don't break
the speed limit. There are signs and the type, location and lighting
should tell you what the speed limit is without signs. If the limit
differs from what it should be for the type, location and lighting then
there must be small repeator boards telling you the speed limit.

I drive from Preston, Lancs. to Porsmouth Hants on a regular basis, to
see our daughter and g daughters.
If you remember, about 2 or so years ago, there were road works in the
Birmingham area, restricting the speed to 50 MPH. over the elevated
section of the M6.

It was several trips down the road before I realised that any driver
accused of speeding South bound had a very good case to have the
conviction thrown out by the court. Though the motorway had repeater
signs for 50 MPH at the correct spacing and a sign to say the the
restriction had ended, there was no starter sign, the one that has to be
bigger that the repeater signs.

I often wondered how many tickets were issued that were faulty.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

raden wrote:

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

I don't see why, just stand there drumming your fingers and tutting
while waiting for your receipt

Use the time productively for some mouth-organ or bagpipe practice.

You do mean instead of drumming your fingers, don't you :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

But will the no life muppets at my local parking office know that?

You didn't - that must make you a no-life muppet.

" Parking rules where I live are there to raise revenue, thats the
reason.
Since you have no idea of the circumstances you can't really comment

can
you - ****wit.

PLONK! "

Ha ha !!

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
paul wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a
reason and apply to everyone. Why should you be any different.

Parking rules where I live are there to raise revenue, thats the reason.
Since you have no idea of the circumstances you can't really comment can
you - ****wit.

funny how some assume all laws must be reasonable and right. While most
mostly are, there is always going to be the odd rogue one, and some can
be right out there on occasion. Why? People with inadequate basic sense
or subject knowledge can sometimes be involved in implementing them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 10:07:45 +0000, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
said:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

The person you're going to make count it all - was it their fault you
got a ticket?

They are part of the department involved in this. If a reasonable
number of people pay their fines in a way that is inconvenient for the
collectors, it may, in time, result in their thinking that there is
more sensible and gainful employment (which there is).

Parking wardens have been getting intimidated on the street for many a
decade, and it doesnt seem to have made any difference so far.

The truth is the only one in the equation that even cares is the one
being ticketed, and there isnt squat you or we can do about it. Some
battles are lost before theyre begun, and thats just the truth of it.

Counting coins is nothing, just a normal part of any cashier's job.
Sorry. If you want to vent your anger to any effect you're going to
need to step back and look at all this again, and bark up a different
tree.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Andy Hall wrote:

There was that video from a few months back of the lady magician who
was producing hankies from pretty much everywhere. It should be
reasonable easy for someone "in the business" to work out how it's
done.

Tres simple mon ami.......

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 10:47:21 +0000, "Robert Laws" said:

The poor sod who will have to count it all has not done you any harm;
he didn't make the rules or probably have anything to do with the
decisions. Why make his life a misery? This is little better than
punching a random stranger on the nose because you are feel cross.

Robert

He/she is a petty bureaucrat who is unable or unwilling to get a proper

job.

Actually, something like this would probably add some colour to a
rather boring existence.

Unfair comment MrHall
He/She might of had a good job before taking up traffic warden
employment,possibly he/she was forced into redundancy or closure of the firm
he/she was working at for donkeys years and when that happens they only know
that job and dont have qualifications to seek better pay and working
conditions.
which will force them into these type of jobs especially if they have mouths
to feed.
Miniumum wage I think they're paid? and lets face it you need balls to do
there job.

Lets hope your working days hold out till retirement? otherwise you might
end up doing a ****ty job.

ending note, define a better job?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Nothing I can see in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions
2002 says that the sign marking the start of the speed limit has to be
larger than the repeater signs.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 22:51:12 +0000, said:

On 17 Jan, Tony Bryer wrote:

My Tesco now has one for the use of customers: I haven't tried it
myself but you toss in load of odd coins and it gives you real money!

We've had one in Asda for a few years. It seems popular, depite it keeping
10% of the proceeds. Quite a high commission!

It wants what?

Do people actually use this? This rate is higher than the forex
places in the airports.

Do shoppers then proceed off to buy their Lottery tickets?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 10:47:21 +0000, "Robert Laws" said:

The poor sod who will have to count it all has not done you any harm;
he didn't make the rules or probably have anything to do with the
decisions. Why make his life a misery? This is little better than
punching a random stranger on the nose because you are feel cross.

Robert

He/she is a petty bureaucrat who is unable or unwilling to get a proper

job.

Actually, something like this would probably add some colour to a
rather boring existence.

Unfair comment MrHall

I disagree.

He/She might of had a good job before taking up traffic warden
employment,possibly he/she was forced into redundancy or closure of the firm
he/she was working at for donkeys years and when that happens they only know
that job and dont have qualifications to seek better pay and working
conditions.
which will force them into these type of jobs especially if they have mouths
to feed.
Miniumum wage I think they're paid? and lets face it you need balls to do
there job.

This is a poor excuse about not taking charge of one's own destiny

Lets hope your working days hold out till retirement? otherwise you might
end up doing a ****ty job.

There are risks everywhere. It's an individual's responsibility to
choose appropriate
paths at appropriate times.

ending note, define a better job?

That depends on the individual's perspective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 17, 9:01 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
That's not evidence that "Many wardens are liars"

Nor that "the wardens who are the most devious andpersistent work dodgers
get promoted to supervisory positions."

People say silly things which could be libellous.

Mary- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

It's not silly at all. It is simply one facet of the state that the
nation has been allowed to degenerate into, by allowing the pursuit of
financial 'results' unhindered by any moral considerations. If you want
evidence of this, peruse the pepipoo (sp ?) site mentioned above. I
think you must have been missing out on something. Do you live in the
UK?

One personal experience; I got a PCN for parking in a Residents' bay
whilst looking at a job. I wasn't parked in a residents' bay; I was
parked on an adjacent yellow line, but there were no notices as to the
relevant restrictions. It seems the warden had lied; they are on
commission and do that a lot. It happens all the time.

However, not knowing the rules or appeal procedures and not having the
time to waste in researching it, I paid the £40. Now, the PCN said
that if you want a receipt, enclose a stamped addressed envelope. So, I
enclosed a SAE. After X days, I haven't heard anything, so fearing I
might get an £80 penalty, I send another SAE by registered post.
Eventually I got some routine machine generated response, but in a
pre-paid (by council) envelope.

So what do you imagine happens to all the 1st class stamps sent in by
motorists wanting a receipt? Does the council employ a stamp steamer?
Are they binned?

What happens is that someone steals them. Someone in a supervisory
position indulging in a lucrative bit of petty theft. It happens all
the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 10:07:45 +0000, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"

They are part of the department involved in this. If a reasonable
number of people pay their fines in a way that is inconvenient for
the collectors, it may, in time, result in their thinking that there
is more sensible and gainful employment (which there is).

Parking wardens have been getting intimidated on the street for many a
decade, and it doesnt seem to have made any difference so far.

Posibly because we don't intimidate them enough :-)

ha.

The people in the parking office are part of the system. They know full
well it's an unjust fund raising project, but they carry on working for the
kings shilling.

and will carry on, regardless of 1% of fine payers' antics. Its not as
if its a dream job, people solely do it because they need the money.

The truth is the only one in the equation that even cares is the one
being ticketed, and there isnt squat you or we can do about it. Some
battles are lost before theyre begun, and thats just the truth of it.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't fight injustice.

My dear man, I'm not saying one should not fight injustice, I'm saying
you aren't fighting injustice. What you propose will have no effect at
all. This may seem a bitter pill to swallow, but if you stand back a
moment and look at the whole picture you may see a different
opportunity, one that will be effective.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar wrote:

Nothing I can see in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions
2002 says that the sign marking the start of the speed limit has to be
larger than the repeater signs.

The law sets out minimum requirements, but there is good practice which
goes beyond this:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ds_504746.hcsp

Terminal signs are recommended to be significantly larger than
repeaters.

--
"Neurotic: Self-taut person."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 18, 10:09 am, "Aidan" wrote:

One personal experience; I got a PCN for parking in a Residents' bay
whilst looking at a job. I wasn't parked in a residents' bay; I was
parked on an adjacent yellow line, but there were no notices as to the
relevant restrictions.

One other thing was that it was a street off a main road, wide enough
so that you could have parked cars on both sides without causing an
obstruction.

About 25 to 40% of the available 'parking' was taken up with the
residents parking bays, the rest had a single yellow line. No meters
visible, no legal parking (I had driven round the block looking). Why
would they have done that?

Why they do that is that they get far more revenue from penalties than
from meters, they don't have to buy meters and they don't have to pay
someone to collect and count the change. Is this moral conduct?

I didn't do the job because of the parking diffivulties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

So what do you imagine happens to all the 1st class stamps sent in by
motorists wanting a receipt? Does the council employ a stamp steamer?
Are they binned?

What happens is that someone steals them. Someone in a supervisory
position indulging in a lucrative bit of petty theft. It happens all
the time.

Do you have evidence for that or are you just guessing?

If the latter, I reckon my guess that they've just binned them is more
likely. Hanlon's Razor.

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:16:46 +0000 Andy Hall wrote :
He/she is a petty bureaucrat who is unable or unwilling to get a
proper job.

I think that this is far from fair. If you have been out of the
workforce for any one of a number of reasons, there is a lot be said
for getting a job, any job, as a lever to the next as you will at
least then have an employer's reference as to things like attendance,
punctuality, reliability etc. IOW I would sooner employ someone who
had done something, anything, during the last x months rather than
just sit at home drawing benefit.