Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Completely OT- Legal tender

Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the course
of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they haven't
caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5 in
10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

You are,next time dont park in a restricted parking zone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman"
I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5
in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to
accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be

No.,

It IS.

And silly to boot.

- but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

Is your time of so little value that you're prepared to stand over them
watching them do that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a reason and
apply to everyone. Why should you be any different. The way you have
posted a completely off topic post shows you have a disregard for rules and
others. My message is not off topic as it is a direct reply to the subject
of yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-16 21:12:00 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the
course of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they
haven't caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins,
£5 in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to
accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

I'd chuck it all in together and make them count it.

Either that, or write them a cheque for £30.01

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Apparently you can write a cheque written on anything. Someone paid a fine
with a cheque written on a dead shark once!

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:

Apparently you can write a cheque written on anything. Someone paid a fine
with a cheque written on a dead shark once!

Andy.

And a cow, brick, egg etc. Many urban myths that may or may not be true. In
the alledged case of the cow, the bank purportedley honoured the cheque but
levied substantial bank charges for the upkeep of the cow!!!

Might be an interesting experience... My bank told me , about 20 years ago,
the then correct procedure for writing an uncrossed cheque using nominally
crossed cheque forms. A friend wanted to pay me back some money and I
wanted cash - so I got him to adopt the procedure described by my bank -
something like writing "Please pay cash" and signing between the crossing
lines, IIRC, it was a long time ago. Took it to the bank - some "debate"
followed by the manager appearing, and eventually agreeing to do it "just
this once"...

Might be fun to try paying a cheque to oneself written on a plain bit of
paper just to see how they take it.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the
course of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they
haven't caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p
coins, £5 in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't
refuse to accept.
Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

It won't make a blind bit of difference to them, just the person who counts
it out in front of, by the end of which, you'll both be ****ed off...or you
could just dump it on them and then geta demand for the remainder ;-p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the course
of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they haven't
caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5 in
10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

I don't see why, just stand there drumming your fingers and tutting
while waiting for your receipt

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the course
of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they haven't
caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5
in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to
accept.

Then either the site is wrong, you have misread it or you misunderstand the
concept of legal tender. Legal tender only has meaning within the very
narrow definition of repayment of a debt. In that case and only in that
case, if you offer the exact amount due in legal tender and the payment is
refused, which it can be, you cannot subsequently be sued for non-payment of
the debt. A parking fine is not a debt, so the concept of legal tender does
not apply. It follows the normal rules of a transaction - that the method of
payment has to be agreed by both parties.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

Nice advert, good to know what type of person we could be dealing with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

...A parking fine is not a debt, so the concept of legal tender does
not apply. It follows the normal rules of a transaction - that the method of
payment has to be agreed by both parties.

IANAL

In that case, if payment is offered and refused, where does that leave
our friendly local handyman ?

By the refusal of payment, it would seem to follow that they don't
actually want the payment after all...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:12:00 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the course
of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they haven't
caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5 in
10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

But then you'll have to wait while they count it...

....of course if you are off work after the mishap the other day.

Frankly parking restrictions however annoying ( and you don't even know
what that means until you try some of the inner London boroughs) are part
of the game. Parking meters fees and or having to unload and park up are
part of the game and the customer has to pay either directly or indirectly.

Only the big national companies can ignore the rules (how do they work
that?) e.g. BT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

You are,next time dont park in a restricted parking zone.

Since you have no idea of the circumstances, thats a rather silly comment
isn't it?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"The Medway Handyman"
I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p
coins, £5 in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't
refuse to accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be

No.,

It IS.

And silly to boot.

- but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can
I jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

Is your time of so little value that you're prepared to stand over
them watching them do that?

Time? No. Satisfaction? Yes.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paul wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a
reason and apply to everyone. Why should you be any different.

Parking rules where I live are there to raise revenue, thats the reason.
Since you have no idea of the circumstances you can't really comment can
you - ****wit.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

You can jumble it up, but is your time really worth so little you can
stand and wait while they count it?

If they accept payment by cheque you could pay by 300 cheques for 10p
each. It'll cost them that much to bank each cheque. (Just make sure
you don't pay cheque charges to your bank though.) Most printers will
take cheque-sized pieces of paper - saves time handwriting them all.

Thought of that, but a cheque isn't legal tender. Coins are.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paul wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...

Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a reason and
apply to everyone. Why should you be any different. The way you have
posted a completely off topic post shows you have a disregard for rules and
others. My message is not off topic as it is a direct reply to the subject
of yours.

Parking rules aside, you have not answered the OP question, which has a
totally different set of rules.
Quite why you have to ram home what the OP has come to the conclusion
of, beats me.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can
I jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

I don't see why, just stand there drumming your fingers and tutting
while waiting for your receipt

I'd enjoy that bit.....

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

I rather like that idea. Do you think I will get away with paying my
council tax that way?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Bignell wrote;

Then either the site is wrong, you have misread it or you
misunderstand the concept of legal tender. Legal tender only has
meaning within the very narrow definition of repayment of a debt. In
that case and only in that case, if you offer the exact amount due in
legal tender and the payment is refused, which it can be, you cannot
subsequently be sued for non-payment of the debt. A parking fine is
not a debt, so the concept of legal tender does not apply. It follows
the normal rules of a transaction - that the method of payment has to
be agreed by both parties.

But will the no life muppets at my local parking office know that?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be -

Yes.

but I'm going to do it anyway.

Do you think they care? Do you think they notice?

Console yourself with the concept of "right livelihood" and the fact
that they're traffic wardens, whilst you aren't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m, "Andy
Dingley " writes

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be -

Yes.

but I'm going to do it anyway.

Do you think they care? Do you think they notice?

You're missing the point

it's not to make them feel worse, it's to make him feel better

like ****ing in the soup, who else knows other than the chef

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-16 23:49:40 +0000, "Andy Dingley "
said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be -

Yes.

but I'm going to do it anyway.

Do you think they care? Do you think they notice?

Console yourself with the concept of "right livelihood" and the fact
that they're traffic wardens, whilst you aren't.

They often seem to be short people as well...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You got that 100%. I'm very ****ed off about this.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
paul wrote:
Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a reason
and apply to everyone.

And in resident's areas often just to make money for the council.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

Only the big national companies can ignore the rules (how do they work
that?) e.g. BT

Perhaps you need a nice ex BT van ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Colin Bignell wrote;

Then either the site is wrong, you have misread it or you
misunderstand the concept of legal tender. Legal tender only has
meaning within the very narrow definition of repayment of a debt. In
that case and only in that case, if you offer the exact amount due in
legal tender and the payment is refused, which it can be, you cannot
subsequently be sued for non-payment of the debt. A parking fine is
not a debt, so the concept of legal tender does not apply. It follows
the normal rules of a transaction - that the method of payment has to
be agreed by both parties.

But will the no life muppets at my local parking office know that?

You won't be the first to try it and they will almost certainly have a rule
book that tells them how to respond.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
...A parking fine is not a debt, so the concept of legal tender does
not apply. It follows the normal rules of a transaction - that the method
of
payment has to be agreed by both parties.

IANAL

In that case, if payment is offered and refused, where does that leave
our friendly local handyman ?

By the refusal of payment, it would seem to follow that they don't
actually want the payment after all...

It would not be the payment that was refused, only the method of payment.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
Only the big national companies can ignore the rules (how do they work
that?) e.g. BT

Utility companies carrying out essential works are specifically listed in
the regulations as exempt from waiting restrictions.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"The Medway Handyman"
I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5
in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to
accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be

No.,

It IS.

And silly to boot.

- but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

Is your time of so little value that you're prepared to stand over them
watching them do that?

Given an experienced cashier and a counting tray, it probably won't take up
much of his time.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:20:46 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

|George wrote:
| "The Medway Handyman" wrote in
| message

| Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
| anyway.
|
| You are,next time dont park in a restricted parking zone.
|
|Since you have no idea of the circumstances, thats a rather silly comment
|isn't it?

Circumstances do not matter :-( The wording of the law does not matter :-(
Logic does not matter :-( to them.
Only the fact that you have been issued a ticket matters to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 01:17:05 +0000, Anne Jackson said:

The message from "The Medway Handyman"
contains these words:
raden wrote:

You're missing the point

it's not to make them feel worse, it's to make him feel better

like ****ing in the soup, who else knows other than the chef

You got that 100%. I'm very ****ed off about this.

If there had been a bank/building society nearby, you could have
said that you were depositing a 'substantial sum' and needed to park nearby.
It works in Perth, anyhow... ;-)

People have substantial sums in Perth?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 03:56:55 +0000, Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|George wrote:
| "The Medway Handyman" wrote in
| message

| Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
| anyway.
|
| You are,next time dont park in a restricted parking zone.
|
|Since you have no idea of the circumstances, thats a rather silly
comment |isn't it?

Circumstances do not matter :-( The wording of the law does not matter :-(
Logic does not matter :-( to them.
Only the fact that you have been issued a ticket matters to them.

Of course. So with all of that in mind, the challenge becomes how to
maximise the entertainment
value.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
raden wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can
I jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

I don't see why, just stand there drumming your fingers and tutting
while waiting for your receipt

I'd enjoy that bit.....

Whilst all the people stood in the queue behind you will be similarly
vexed, thinking "who's that bloody tosser with a j-cloth strapped to his
arm, and why am I stood in-line for 10 bloody minutes?"