Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Completely OT- Legal tender

Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the course
of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they haven't
caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5 in
10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

You are,next time dont park in a restricted parking zone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

You are,next time dont park in a restricted parking zone.

Since you have no idea of the circumstances, thats a rather silly comment
isn't it?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:20:46 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

|George wrote:
| "The Medway Handyman" wrote in
| message

| Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
| anyway.
|
| You are,next time dont park in a restricted parking zone.
|
|Since you have no idea of the circumstances, thats a rather silly comment
|isn't it?

Circumstances do not matter :-( The wording of the law does not matter :-(
Logic does not matter :-( to them.
Only the fact that you have been issued a ticket matters to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 03:56:55 +0000, Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|George wrote:
| "The Medway Handyman" wrote in
| message

| Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
| anyway.
|
| You are,next time dont park in a restricted parking zone.
|
|Since you have no idea of the circumstances, thats a rather silly
comment |isn't it?

Circumstances do not matter :-( The wording of the law does not matter :-(
Logic does not matter :-( to them.
Only the fact that you have been issued a ticket matters to them.

Of course. So with all of that in mind, the challenge becomes how to
maximise the entertainment
value.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman"
I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5
in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to
accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be

No.,

It IS.

And silly to boot.

- but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

Is your time of so little value that you're prepared to stand over them
watching them do that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"The Medway Handyman"
I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p
coins, £5 in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't
refuse to accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be

No.,

It IS.

And silly to boot.

- but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can
I jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

Is your time of so little value that you're prepared to stand over
them watching them do that?

Time? No. Satisfaction? Yes.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"The Medway Handyman"
I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p
coins, £5 in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't
refuse to accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be

No.,

It IS.

And silly to boot.

- but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can
I jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

Is your time of so little value that you're prepared to stand over
them watching them do that?

Time? No. Satisfaction? Yes.

The poor sod who will have to count it all has not done you any harm;
he didn't make the rules or probably have anything to do with the
decisions. Why make his life a misery? This is little better than
punching a random stranger on the nose because you are feel cross.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert Laws" wrote in message
ups.com...

The poor sod who will have to count it all has not done you any harm;

he didn't make the rules or probably have anything to do with the
decisions. Why make his life a misery?

S/he might enjoy the change from routine though, that would thwart the
poster's intentions :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert Laws" wrote in message
ups.com...
The poor sod who will have to count it all has not done you any harm;
he didn't make the rules or probably have anything to do with the
decisions. Why make his life a misery? ...

I used to cash up after Jumble Sales and counting a large number of mixed
coins isn't much of a problem, if you are organised and have a coin counting
tray. You simply dump the lot on a hard, smooth table top and use the
fingers of one hand to sweep two or three coins of the same denomination at
a time off the edge of the table into your cupped hand. When you have a
handful, you stack them and drop the stack into the appropriate column in
the counting tray. When you fill enough cavities in any one column to have
the right amount to fill a bank coin bag, you dump them in that. When you
run out of coins, you count the value of the bank coin bags, count the
number of full cavities in the tray (10 coins per cavity) and then count any
odd coins left over.

Mind you, if they do accept payment this way, which they don't have to, they
will probably have an automatic coin counter, which would take between 30
and 60 seconds to check the lot.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Bignell wrote;

Mind you, if they do accept payment this way, which they don't have
to, they will probably have an automatic coin counter, which would
take between 30 and 60 seconds to check the lot.

Of course they have to - all the coins will be below the maximum for legal
tender.

Unless you know something I don't?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:19:11 -0000 Nightjar wrote :
Mind you, if they do accept payment this way, which they don't
have to, they will probably have an automatic coin counter, which
would take between 30 and 60 seconds to check the lot.

My Tesco now has one for the use of customers: I haven't tried it
myself but you toss in load of odd coins and it gives you real
money!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 10:47:21 +0000, "Robert Laws" said:

The poor sod who will have to count it all has not done you any harm;
he didn't make the rules or probably have anything to do with the
decisions. Why make his life a misery? This is little better than
punching a random stranger on the nose because you are feel cross.

Robert

He/she is a petty bureaucrat who is unable or unwilling to get a proper job.

Actually, something like this would probably add some colour to a
rather boring existence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 10:47:21 +0000, "Robert Laws" said:

The poor sod who will have to count it all has not done you any harm;
he didn't make the rules or probably have anything to do with the
decisions. Why make his life a misery? This is little better than
punching a random stranger on the nose because you are feel cross.

Robert

He/she is a petty bureaucrat who is unable or unwilling to get a proper

job.

Actually, something like this would probably add some colour to a
rather boring existence.

Unfair comment MrHall
He/She might of had a good job before taking up traffic warden
employment,possibly he/she was forced into redundancy or closure of the firm
he/she was working at for donkeys years and when that happens they only know
that job and dont have qualifications to seek better pay and working
conditions.
which will force them into these type of jobs especially if they have mouths
to feed.
Miniumum wage I think they're paid? and lets face it you need balls to do
there job.

Lets hope your working days hold out till retirement? otherwise you might
end up doing a ****ty job.

ending note, define a better job?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:16:46 +0000 Andy Hall wrote :
He/she is a petty bureaucrat who is unable or unwilling to get a
proper job.

I think that this is far from fair. If you have been out of the
workforce for any one of a number of reasons, there is a lot be said
for getting a job, any job, as a lever to the next as you will at
least then have an employer's reference as to things like attendance,
punctuality, reliability etc. IOW I would sooner employ someone who
had done something, anything, during the last x months rather than
just sit at home drawing benefit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"The Medway Handyman"
I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5
in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to
accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be

No.,

It IS.

And silly to boot.

- but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

Is your time of so little value that you're prepared to stand over them
watching them do that?

Given an experienced cashier and a counting tray, it probably won't take up
much of his time.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a reason and
apply to everyone. Why should you be any different. The way you have
posted a completely off topic post shows you have a disregard for rules and
others. My message is not off topic as it is a direct reply to the subject
of yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paul wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a
reason and apply to everyone. Why should you be any different.

Parking rules where I live are there to raise revenue, thats the reason.
Since you have no idea of the circumstances you can't really comment can
you - ****wit.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Parking rules where I live are there to raise revenue, thats the reason.
Since you have no idea of the circumstances you can't really comment can
you - ****wit.

PLONK!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

PLONK!

Oh the irony.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:02:21 UTC, John Rumm
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

PLONK!

Oh the irony.

Hear hear.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-17 11:02:21 +0000, John Rumm said:

Mary Fisher wrote:

PLONK!

Oh the irony.

ROTFL....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paul wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a
reason and apply to everyone. Why should you be any different.

Parking rules where I live are there to raise revenue, thats the reason.
Since you have no idea of the circumstances you can't really comment can
you - ****wit.

I suppose you think speed cameras are there to raise revenue too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paul wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a
reason and apply to everyone. Why should you be any different.

Parking rules where I live are there to raise revenue, thats the reason.
Since you have no idea of the circumstances you can't really comment can
you - ****wit.

I suppose you think speed cameras are there to raise revenue too.

Some of them are. Sited not near an accident blackspot, but in a place
designed to trap the unwary.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

but in a place designed to trap the unwary.

Do you think driving while unwary is a good thing?

clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Jan 2007 15:46:49 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

in a place designed to trap the unwary.

There is a very easy way not to get caught by a speed camera, don't break
the speed limit. There are signs and the type, location and lighting
should tell you what the speed limit is without signs. If the limit
differs from what it should be for the type, location and lighting then
there must be small repeator boards telling you the speed limit.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

Some of them are. Sited not near an accident blackspot, but in a place
designed to trap the unwary.

Do you have any evidence of one *safety* camera that does not comply with
the rules?

Police funded cameras do not have to comply with the rules but they get no
revenue from them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paul wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a
reason and apply to everyone. Why should you be any different.

Parking rules where I live are there to raise revenue, thats the reason.
Since you have no idea of the circumstances you can't really comment can
you - ****wit.

I suppose you think speed cameras are there to raise revenue too.

Some of them are. Sited not near an accident blackspot, but in a place
designed to trap the unwary.

Surely they are placed to *avoid* an accident blackspot. Why wait
until the horse has bolted before you close the stable door?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I suppose you think speed cameras are there to raise revenue too.

That's a big Ding! there, Slowboy.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
paul wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a
reason and apply to everyone. Why should you be any different.

Parking rules where I live are there to raise revenue, thats the reason.
Since you have no idea of the circumstances you can't really comment can
you - ****wit.

funny how some assume all laws must be reasonable and right. While most
mostly are, there is always going to be the odd rogue one, and some can
be right out there on occasion. Why? People with inadequate basic sense
or subject knowledge can sometimes be involved in implementing them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paul wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...

Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local parking dept.

Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a reason and
apply to everyone. Why should you be any different. The way you have
posted a completely off topic post shows you have a disregard for rules and
others. My message is not off topic as it is a direct reply to the subject
of yours.

Parking rules aside, you have not answered the OP question, which has a
totally different set of rules.
Quite why you have to ram home what the OP has come to the conclusion
of, beats me.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
paul wrote:
Good, it might teach you a lesson. Parking rules are there for a reason
and apply to everyone.

And in resident's areas often just to make money for the council.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thread spammed by the tiscali idiot

paul wrote:

Good, it might teach you a lesson.

I wish someone would teach the "tiscali idiot" a lesson

Parking rules are there for a reason and
apply to everyone. Why should you be any different. The way you have
posted a completely off topic post shows you have a disregard for rules and
others. My message is not off topic as it is a direct reply to the subject
of yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "paul"
saying something like:

My message is not off topic as it is a direct reply to the subject
of yours.

Christ on a crutch.
Where are all these holier-than-thou ******s coming from these days?
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-16 21:12:00 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the
course of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they
haven't caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins,
£5 in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to
accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

I'd chuck it all in together and make them count it.

Either that, or write them a cheque for £30.01

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Apparently you can write a cheque written on anything. Someone paid a fine
with a cheque written on a dead shark once!

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:

Apparently you can write a cheque written on anything. Someone paid a fine
with a cheque written on a dead shark once!

Andy.

And a cow, brick, egg etc. Many urban myths that may or may not be true. In
the alledged case of the cow, the bank purportedley honoured the cheque but
levied substantial bank charges for the upkeep of the cow!!!

Might be an interesting experience... My bank told me , about 20 years ago,
the then correct procedure for writing an uncrossed cheque using nominally
crossed cheque forms. A friend wanted to pay me back some money and I
wanted cash - so I got him to adopt the procedure described by my bank -
something like writing "Please pay cash" and signing between the crossing
lines, IIRC, it was a long time ago. Took it to the bank - some "debate"
followed by the manager appearing, and eventually agreeing to do it "just
this once"...

Might be fun to try paying a cheque to oneself written on a plain bit of
paper just to see how they take it.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the
course of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they
haven't caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p
coins, £5 in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't
refuse to accept.
Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

It won't make a blind bit of difference to them, just the person who counts
it out in front of, by the end of which, you'll both be ****ed off...or you
could just dump it on them and then geta demand for the remainder ;-p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
Hi All

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the course
of my handyman endeavours.

Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they haven't
caved in and are insisting on the £30.

I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins, £5 in
10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse to accept.

Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.

I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

I don't see why, just stand there drumming your fingers and tutting
while waiting for your receipt

--
geoff