Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Completely OT- Legal tender

Owain wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Recently had a PCN issued by the local fascist parking dept, in the
course of my handyman endeavours.
Three 5 page letters & a formal complaint to the CEO later, they
haven't caved in and are insisting on the £30.
I've checked on the Royal Mint site and I can pay them £5 in 5p coins,
£5 in 10p's, £10 in 20p's and £10 in 50p's - which they can't refuse
to accept.
Small minded, petty, mean & shallow it may be - but I'm going to do it
anyway.
I'm wondering though, does it have to be bagged like the bank or can I
jumble the whole lot up & make them count it?

You can jumble it up, but is your time really worth so little you can
stand and wait while they count it?

If they accept payment by cheque you could pay by 300 cheques for 10p
each. It'll cost them that much to bank each cheque. (Just make sure you
don't pay cheque charges to your bank though.) Most printers will take
cheque-sized pieces of paper - saves time handwriting them all.

I rather like that idea. Do you think I will get away with paying my
council tax that way?

Dave