Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Completely OT- Legal tender

Andy wrote:

Apparently you can write a cheque written on anything. Someone paid a fine
with a cheque written on a dead shark once!

Andy.

And a cow, brick, egg etc. Many urban myths that may or may not be true. In
the alledged case of the cow, the bank purportedley honoured the cheque but
levied substantial bank charges for the upkeep of the cow!!!

Might be an interesting experience... My bank told me , about 20 years ago,
the then correct procedure for writing an uncrossed cheque using nominally
crossed cheque forms. A friend wanted to pay me back some money and I
wanted cash - so I got him to adopt the procedure described by my bank -
something like writing "Please pay cash" and signing between the crossing
lines, IIRC, it was a long time ago. Took it to the bank - some "debate"
followed by the manager appearing, and eventually agreeing to do it "just
this once"...

Might be fun to try paying a cheque to oneself written on a plain bit of
paper just to see how they take it.

Cheers

Tim