Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default American toilets

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:23:53 +0100, Adam Funk

wrote:

snip

|The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been

blowing
|across people's damp hands...

Not all bacteria cause disease, many are helpful to the human body,

notably
those in Yoghurt and most strains of E-Coli.

Indeed, many are beneficial to the body, anti-bodies do not just
appear in the human body you know - as is now being found, being to
clean can lead to health problems such as allergies etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Owain" wrote in message
Huge wrote:
Oh, and I pay nearly GBP30,000 a year in taxes

You must have a really, really, crap accountant :-)

Or he's VERY rich!

Or he is just boasting, after all who says his name is even 'Huge',
this being Usenet and all that...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:20:47 +0100, "Jerry"
wrote:

|"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in
|message ...
| On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:23:53 +0100, Adam Funk
|wrote:
|
|snip
| |
| |The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been
|blowing
| |across people's damp hands...
|
| Not all bacteria cause disease, many are helpful to the human body,
|notably
| those in Yoghurt and most strains of E-Coli.
|

|Indeed, many are beneficial to the body, anti-bodies do not just
|appear in the human body you know - as is now being found, being to
|clean can lead to health problems such as allergies etc.

Indeed, but my point is that both Yoghurt bacteria and most strains of
e-coli are helpful to digestion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:01:23 UTC, Derek ^
wrote:

Whatever did happen to A.E.I. G.E.C. English Electric, Metro Cammell,
Elliot Automation, Lyons Electronic Office, Marconi ?

GEC merged with Marconi...who didn't collapse until this government..

Elliott and EE merged with ICT to form ICL. Do try and keep up. LEO were
made by EE. Lyons closed under this government too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On 2006-08-24, Mary Fisher wrote:

The air is full of bacteria, your skin is, your car keys are, your
steering
wheel is - and as for picking your nose or scratching your head ...

The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been blowing
across people's damp hands...

So?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
news
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
So you will not be claiming your state pension,
You really think that Ponzi scheme will be available when you
come to claim the pathetic dribble returned of the 50% of your
earnings that have been confiscated all your life?
I read a survey once where more people under about 30 (can't remember
the exact age) thought that they would win the lottery in their lifetime
than believed they would receive a basic state pension when they
retired. The survey included people who don't enter the lottery.

LOL!

I worked out that we had made quite a lot of money by not doing the
lottery.

Surely you didn't *make* money?

You have to fill in the time somehow if you don't watch that inane ball
stuff on tv (which we don't have but I once saw it at a neighbour's, we had
to keep dead quiet while the audience cheered - why?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Whatever did happen to A.E.I. G.E.C. English Electric, Metro Cammell,
Elliot Automation, Lyons Electronic Office, Marconi ?

GEC merged with Marconi...who didn't collapse until this government..

That wasn't the original "Marconi" it was a re-launching re-branding
marketing exercise involving mostly bought in aquisitions. When I
started work after Uni (1969) a great many ex Marconi engineers
started with me on the same day.

Elliott and EE merged with ICT to form ICL. Do try and keep up. LEO were
made by EE.

Not exactly. The last proper LEO III left the LEO factory in 1967. Two
years later ICL built 5 more LEO 326 units for the GPO because they
couldn't/wouldn't wait for ICL's next new machine.

Lyons closed under this government too.

A victim of bad management, risky investments and the 1973 oil crisis.

:-(

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:11:05 GMT, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.. .
.

Whatever did happen to A.E.I. G.E.C. English Electric, Metro Cammell,
Elliot Automation, Lyons Electronic Office, Marconi ?

Most went into the huge GEC / Weinstock empire, which was wrecked after he
retired.

The people who worked in Weinstock industries tend towards the belief
that the first thing he did after taking them over was wreck them. "If
Weinstock thinks Marconi's can make more profit making bath plugs then
Marconi's will make bath plugs".

A large chunk (the defence business) was then sold to BAe, the
telecomms bit was left to almost disappear in a puff of bad management. I
think the Metro Cammell bit is still around making trains.

I think Lyons went into ICL, which then tied up with Fujitsu.

I most of the above happened over an extended period and could not seriously
be blamed on a particular government.

Harodl Wislon's appointment of trade union leader Frank Cousins (To be
succeeded by Wedgy Benn { BARF} ) as Head of the new Ministry Of
Technology didn't do much for the "White Hot Technological Revolution"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_of_Technology

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek ^" wrote in message
The people who worked in Weinstock industries tend towards the belief
that the first thing he did after taking them over was wreck them

Depends what you mean by wrecked- the Weinstoch empire thrived and survived.
It really went toes up after he left.

. "If
Weinstock thinks Marconi's can make more profit making bath plugs then
Marconi's will make bath plugs".

Actually, Weinstock was pretty good at recognising "core business" and
turning a profit.
It all fell apart when someone decided to split up the empire, flog off the
profit making defence business, and invest in and focus on telecoms. The
results of that are a matter of history.

Weinstock was shrewd, successful, and turned a profit. Dirty words to some
people but he presided over an empire that kept many people in gainful
employ for many years.

Harodl Wislon's appointment of trade union leader Frank Cousins (To be
succeeded by Wedgy Benn { BARF} ) as Head of the new Ministry Of
Technology didn't do much for the "White Hot Technological Revolution"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_of_Technology

That was a long time ago and, as such, rather old as an excuse. There are
many contributors to the demise, the trade unions share the blame, as do
"get rich quick" company boards and CEOs, not to mention governments who
don't value UK plc.

The bad news is, worse is to come. The UK energy policy is wrecked, in the
late 70s everyone said "no problem, we've 300 years of coal". So research
was abandoned, the coal mines closed, the gas used more quickly, and we are
on the point of being totally dependant on foreign energy. In a master
stroke, Blair does a deal with the French (long known for their generous
support of the UK) to manage an alternative.

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 24 Aug,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Indeed, but my point is that both Yoghurt bacteria and most strains of
e-coli are helpful to digestion.

It annoys me when the press come out with 'there has been an outbreak of
E.
Coli' when a swab from most people's hand thatthey use to wipe their a***
will show E. Coli.

It is generally looked for in bathing/drinking waters as a sign of faecal
contamination. If it was as rare and dangerous as the press seem to
exagerate
then it would be useless for that purpose.

Just don't read the press, it's not difficult.

Don't have television either, it's not difficult.

We do both and still manage to stay alive and have a good qauality of it.

Mary

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:52:08 +0100, wrote:

|On 24 Aug,
| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| Indeed, but my point is that both Yoghurt bacteria and most strains of
| e-coli are helpful to digestion.
|
|It annoys me when the press come out with 'there has been an outbreak of E.
|Coli' when a swab from most people's hand thatthey use to wipe their a***
|will show E. Coli.

What they mean is e-coli 0152 which is dangerous

|It is generally looked for in bathing/drinking waters as a sign of faecal
|contamination. If it was as rare and dangerous as the press seem to exagerate
|then it would be useless for that purpose.

Yes! But! they test for e-coli (any strain) because it is used as an
indicator that there may be Salmonella, or Dysentery or worse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

snip

Just don't read the press, it's not difficult.

Don't have television either, it's not difficult.

We do both and still manage to stay alive and have a good qauality

of it.

Best you pull your internet connection then, for the medium that has
the most factual errors is the web...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jerry" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

snip

Just don't read the press, it's not difficult.

Don't have television either, it's not difficult.

We do both and still manage to stay alive and have a good qauality

of it.

Best you pull your internet connection then, for the medium that has
the most factual errors is the web...

You're assuming that I consult the web for facts!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-24, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

| The air is full of bacteria, your skin is, your car keys are, your steering
| wheel is - and as for picking your nose or scratching your head ...
|
|The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been blowing
|across people's damp hands...

Not all bacteria cause disease, many are helpful to the human body, notably
those in Yoghurt and most strains of E-Coli.

True, but I don't think you get probiotics off other people's damp
hands after they've been to the toilet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On 2006-08-24, Mary Fisher wrote:

The air is full of bacteria, your skin is, your car keys are, your
steering
wheel is - and as for picking your nose or scratching your head ...

The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been blowing
across people's damp hands...

So?

So there ought to be a public-health campaign to compel businesses to
provide paper towels --- at least as an alternative to electric
dryers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Jerry" wrote in message
reenews.net...

snip

Best you pull your internet connection then, for the medium that

has
the most factual errors is the web...

You're assuming that I consult the web for facts!

Well I know you have asked question here....

I have no problems with television, radio, the internet or
newspapers, not all the content is fiction, not all is correct, but I
am able to digest what is given and sort the chaff from the grain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
snip

True, but I don't think you get probiotics off other people's damp
hands after they've been to the toilet.

No, but you do get low doses of bacteria, which in turn allow the
body to develop anti-bodies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jerry" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Jerry" wrote in message
reenews.net...

snip

Best you pull your internet connection then, for the medium that

has
the most factual errors is the web...

You're assuming that I consult the web for facts!

Well I know you have asked question here....

I have no problems with television, radio, the internet or
newspapers, not all the content is fiction, not all is correct, but I
am able to digest what is given and sort the chaff from the grain.

It must be awful to have to share ngs with lesser mortals

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

"Adam Funk" wrote in message

The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been blowing
across people's damp hands...

So?

So there ought to be a public-health campaign to compel businesses to
provide paper towels --- at least as an alternative to electric
dryers.

Well I suggest you start one.

Great oaks ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
-- Another researcher, comparing bacterial residue on hands
-- after drying with the warm air device, paper towels or a
-- continuous cotton towel, found that the towels were
-- significantly better in removing micro-organisms. While the
-- electric devices increased bacteria on the hands by 162
-- percent, paper towels decreased bacteria levels by 29
-- percent.

Your hands can, presumably, never be cleaner than the water with
which you rinse them.

Not really true and no doubt the reason for hand dryers*. Water, even
'clean' cotains and is a good host for many bacteria. The object
therefore of such a dryer is to eliminate the host, the water and, I
suppose, supply sufficient heat to kill any nasties that remain. While
personal I'd rather have (paper) towels any time, logically I think that
if you're a hygiene nut, then a dryer is probably better.

(*Is it 'drier' or 'dryer'?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
This group definitely has a toilet fixation!

Talking about toilet fixation, I'm short of those bolt you connect toilets
to the floor with. Does anyone know a supplier? The alternative is to rely
solely on the silicone.

Wickes sell brass ones with a white cap for about £3. I have used
these to fit both loos in my house and they are good quality and
substantive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:05:12 +0100, Adam Funk

On 2006-08-24, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

| The air is full of bacteria, your skin is, your car keys are, your steering
| wheel is - and as for picking your nose or scratching your head ...
|
|The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been blowing
|across people's damp hands...

Not all bacteria cause disease, many are helpful to the human body, notably
those in Yoghurt and most strains of E-Coli.

True, but I don't think you get probiotics off other people's damp
hands after they've been to the toilet.

Where does the air originate for these hot-air hand driers? Surely
it's from the bowels of the bog, which includes the #2 cubicles and
the urinal stalls?

Or is it ducted in from fresh sweet pastures somewhere?

EMNTK -

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:22:19 +0200, John of Aix
wrote the following to uk.misc:

Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
[...]

A few options that these surveys never seem to consider is what happens if:

1. You don't wash your hands at all

2. You rinse them without soap

3. You wash (or rinse) them, use neither paper towel nor dryer, and let them
dry naturally

My dictionary (Collins Compact English Dictionary) suggests that "drier" is
the adjective and "dryer" is the noun, although it says that "dryer" can
also be used as an adjective.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:22:19 +0200, "John of Aix"
wrote:

(*Is it 'drier' or 'dryer'?)

Yes.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Yes, it's an indicator of what could be worse. There's one particularly nasty
one who's spores aren't killed with the usual disinfectants, but can be
filtered out. Its name escapes me ATM.

Cryptosporidium?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some loos in the yookay do have an element of siphonic action -
certainly if the water level in the bowl drops right down and then
recovers, then it is not simply washing-down. Totally agree on the
lack of effectiveness of nearly all low-volume units - not met one yet
which worked first-time, which seems to totally negate the point (a low
volume for pees can be achieved with a two-stage flush system). The
powers-that-be have British Standard turds which they claim flush away
nicely with 23ml or whatever but all I can suggest is that they must
bear no resemblance to proper jobs.

We have a double-trap syphonic WC and it's by far the most effective bog
we've ever had. It must have been installed about 25 years ago and
always clears everything at the first attempt. It's also very quiet, so
not too antisocial to flush in the night while others sleep.

When our daughter visists, she often comments about how she wishes she
could get something similar for her house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:05:12 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

|On 2006-08-24, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
|| The air is full of bacteria, your skin is, your car keys are, your steering
|| wheel is - and as for picking your nose or scratching your head ...
||The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been blowing
||across people's damp hands...
|
| Not all bacteria cause disease, many are helpful to the human body, notably
| those in Yoghurt and most strains of E-Coli.
|
|True, but I don't think you get probiotics off other people's damp
|hands after they've been to the toilet.

You probably do! They pass through the system like other bacteria.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

Marcus Houlden wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:22:19 +0200, John of Aix
wrote the following to uk.misc:

Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
[...]

You have overlooked the most effective cleaner of all -
mother's spit rubbed in and then rubbed off with a handkerchief.

This worked for generations of children until all these arty farty
things were introduced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.

Whatever did happen to A.E.I. G.E.C. English Electric, Metro Cammell,
Elliot Automation, Lyons Electronic Office, Marconi ?

Most went into the huge GEC / Weinstock empire, which was wrecked after he
retired. A large chunk (the defence business) was then sold to BAe, the
telecomms bit was left to almost disappear in a puff of bad management. I
think the Metro Cammell bit is still around making trains.

I think Lyons went into ICL, which then tied up with Fujitsu.

I most of the above happened over an extended period and could not
seriously be blamed on a particular government.

Brian

My Dad worked for a large proportion of them - first BTH, then AEI (taken
over), then GEC (taken over), then GEC-Elliott Automation, then Monsanto
(bought Elliott Automation). He then retired and GEC rebought (some of)
Elliott Automation back (some of those bought back didn't feel their
pensions had been looked after in all the moves). My Dad was always very
pleased he retired from Monsanto (in spite if their poor press) as they did
see him right pension wise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 21:01:45 +0100, "Tournifreak" said:

Funilly enough, me too. In fact, I was so intruiged that I partially
dismantled the cistern in my hotel bedroom to try to work it out.
Unfortunately I didn't go prepared with any tools so I didn't get far
(probably a good job really) Inside the cistern there was soem sort of
pressure vessel though. The cistern appeared to push a very high
powered jet of water from the front of the bowl to the rear, pushing
the contents of the bowl out through a very small hole. It certainly
used very little water and seemed very effective. I wouldn't have one
in my house though for the simple reason that they are *very* noisy.
(Especially at 3am)

Jon.

Ah those things. Holiday Inns have them. One reason I avoid Holiday Inns.

Yes, it *was* a Holiday Inn. I'm impressed with your knowledge of hotel
lavatory facilities!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

wrote:

Sam Nelson wrote:

Your hands can, presumably, never be cleaner than the water with
which you rinse them.

Not really true and no doubt the reason for hand dryers*. Water, even
'clean' cotains and is a good host for many bacteria. The object
therefore of such a dryer is to eliminate the host, the water and, I
suppose, supply sufficient heat to kill any nasties that remain. While
personal I'd rather have (paper) towels any time, logically I think that
if you're a hygiene nut, then a dryer is probably better.

How hot do you reckon the air in a dryer would have to be to kill any
bacteria?
--
Hooray for the differently sane.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On 24 Aug 2006 23:00:13 GMT, Marcus Houlden
wrote:

A few options that these surveys never seem to consider is what happens if:

1. You don't wash your hands at all

2. You rinse them without soap

3. You wash (or rinse) them, use neither paper towel nor dryer, and let them
dry naturally

I read somewhere, possibly the Guardian, that if you wash your hands
under running water for 10 seconds, they will be as clean if you use
soap as if you don't.
--
Hooray for the differently sane.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

In article ,
"John of Aix" writes:
Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
-- Another researcher, comparing bacterial residue on hands
-- after drying with the warm air device, paper towels or a
-- continuous cotton towel, found that the towels were
-- significantly better in removing micro-organisms. While the
-- electric devices increased bacteria on the hands by 162
-- percent, paper towels decreased bacteria levels by 29
-- percent.

Your hands can, presumably, never be cleaner than the water with
which you rinse them.

Not really true and no doubt the reason for hand dryers*. Water, even
'clean' cotains and is a good host for many bacteria.

Certainly. But I'm under the impression that, under normal circumstances,
the cleanest thing in any ordinary building is its cold water supply.

The object
therefore of such a dryer is to eliminate the host, the water

I always thought the point of a dryer was to cut down the number of things
you have to touch. One-push taps and motion sensors controlling taps are
there with similar intentions.

and, I
suppose, supply sufficient heat to kill any nasties that remain.

Er, I think not. The temperature of the air would surely have to be
hotter than it is to achieve that.

While
personal I'd rather have (paper) towels any time, logically I think that
if you're a hygiene nut, then a dryer is probably better.

My general practice is to wash my hands, rinse them well, touch as little as
possible in order to leave the room, and let my hands dry by evaporation in
the open air. Does that make me weird?
--
SAm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 21:01:45 +0100, "Tournifreak" said:

Funilly enough, me too. In fact, I was so intruiged that I partially
dismantled the cistern in my hotel bedroom to try to work it out.
Unfortunately I didn't go prepared with any tools so I didn't get far
(probably a good job really) Inside the cistern there was soem sort of
pressure vessel though. The cistern appeared to push a very high
powered jet of water from the front of the bowl to the rear, pushing
the contents of the bowl out through a very small hole. It certainly
used very little water and seemed very effective. I wouldn't have one
in my house though for the simple reason that they are *very* noisy.
(Especially at 3am)

Jon.

Ah those things. Holiday Inns have them. One reason I avoid Holiday Inns.

Yes, it *was* a Holiday Inn. I'm impressed with your knowledge of hotel
lavatory facilities!

I stay in so many different hotels it becomes almost a hobby to inspect
the plumbing, the air conditioning and sometimes the wiring to see how
they work.

It's certainly a way to find out which brands of bathroom ceramic and
brassware are solid and which aren't.

I've never seen these kinds of pressure flush anywhere else and was
intrigued, so had to look inside the cistern to see how it worked.
The mechanics seem to be a retrofit kit because the chinaware was not
that new. It was probably done as a water saving measure.
There is indeed a pressure vessel. The label on the side indicated
that it was precharged to 30PSI (about 2 bar). It was filled with a
non-return valve from the mains and then there was a sprung return
valve hooking up the vessel to the flush pipe. Press the button and
it discharges the lot in a very few seconds. One effect of that was
that there was splashing of the bowl contents onto the floor.
Unlike most hotels in the Nordic countries, these bathrooms do not have
a drain set into the floor, so there is no convenient way to just hose
the floor with the shower hose.

The idea seemed quite good, the execution poor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 21:01:45 +0100, "Tournifreak" said:

[...]

snip interesting stuff!

I'm off to a conference in Cannes in a few weeks - I'll take a
screwdriver this time!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On 2006-08-25, Sam Nelson wrote:

I always thought the point of a dryer was to cut down the number of things
you have to touch. One-push taps and motion sensors controlling taps are
there with similar intentions.

I agree with you about the taps, but the point of installing dryers is
purely to reduce labour costs (refilling paper towels dispensers and
emptying bins).

I've noticed that toilets in hospitals *always* have paper towels and
pedal-operated bins. (Occasionally they have dryers in addition, but
they always provide paper towels.) I think that's strong evidence
that medical people consider paper towels to be the most hygienic
option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

I've noticed that toilets in hospitals *always* have paper towels and
pedal-operated bins. (Occasionally they have dryers in addition, but
they always provide paper towels.) I think that's strong evidence
that medical people consider paper towels to be the most hygienic
option.

Round here, they also have hygenic "dry" hand wash that doesn't require
towelling off. It is compulsory to wash your hands with it every time you
enter or leave a ward.

Christian.

American Precision Musuem Show Errol Groff Metalworking 0 October 15th 05 01:37 PM
Revocation of American Independence Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 2 December 22nd 04 09:14 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
First American Home Buyers Protection Plan - BEWARE! C-surfr Home Ownership 2 March 12th 04 01:01 PM