Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default American toilets

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.

Whatever did happen to A.E.I. G.E.C. English Electric, Metro Cammell,
Elliot Automation, Lyons Electronic Office, Marconi ?

Most went into the huge GEC / Weinstock empire, which was wrecked after he
retired. A large chunk (the defence business) was then sold to BAe, the
telecomms bit was left to almost disappear in a puff of bad management. I
think the Metro Cammell bit is still around making trains.

I think Lyons went into ICL, which then tied up with Fujitsu.

I most of the above happened over an extended period and could not
seriously be blamed on a particular government.

Brian

My Dad worked for a large proportion of them - first BTH, then AEI (taken
over), then GEC (taken over), then GEC-Elliott Automation, then Monsanto
(bought Elliott Automation). He then retired and GEC rebought (some of)
Elliott Automation back (some of those bought back didn't feel their
pensions had been looked after in all the moves). My Dad was always very
pleased he retired from Monsanto (in spite if their poor press) as they did
see him right pension wise.