Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default American toilets

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
news snip

No paper towels. Hot-air dryers don't work and are unsanitary.

Would
any of the businesspeople who have them installed use them at home?

don't think so.

How are hot air hand dryers unsanitary?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 21:01:45 +0100, "Tournifreak" said:

Funilly enough, me too. In fact, I was so intruiged that I partially
dismantled the cistern in my hotel bedroom to try to work it out.
Unfortunately I didn't go prepared with any tools so I didn't get far
(probably a good job really) Inside the cistern there was soem sort of
pressure vessel though. The cistern appeared to push a very high
powered jet of water from the front of the bowl to the rear, pushing
the contents of the bowl out through a very small hole. It certainly
used very little water and seemed very effective. I wouldn't have one
in my house though for the simple reason that they are *very* noisy.
(Especially at 3am)

Jon.

Ah those things. Holiday Inns have them. One reason I avoid Holiday Inns.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

snip

I've no idea about that but hands dry without artificial aids ... I

don't
use hot air or paper on environmental grounds.

I also suspect that you have the time to allow your hands to dry in
the breeze, unlike most. Also wet hand are very unhealthy to some,
such as those who suffer from arthritis or when the outside air /
wind chill temperature is near or below freezing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 21:10:02 +0100, "Mary Fisher" said:

A couple of years ago I went to the lav in the Savoy in London. It was
very swish and warm, dry, unnecessarily large, white towels were given
to each person. They were then dumped in baskets for laundering.
Luxurious but wasteful.

Luxurious and wonderful. How life should be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23, Jerry wrote:

Funny how people don't like paying tax but still want all that

the
tax pays for...

This is because they are either innumerate or hypocrites or both.

So you will not be claiming your state pension, you do not use the
highways or public paths, you have and never will use the services of
the NHS, the Police, Fire, Military or Governmental service - but
there again, perhaps you are just one of the hypocrites?...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 21:14:16 +0100, Derek ^ said:

On 23 Aug 2006 18:01:53 GMT, Huge wrote:

That might have been what was said. I don't believe it. You
only have to look (preferably from a distance) at the metrication
fascists to know what kind of people were involved.

It was to conceal the humunguous scale of taxation we pay nowadays.

If you and I were both VAT registered artisans employed by our own
companies, I would pay income tax and VAT, you would pay income tax
and VAT. If I were to spend a day working on a private project on your
house (say) for you @ £400 inc VAT that would yield a marginal income
of £400 -£60 (vat) - £80 (both NI's) - £112 (Higher rate tax) =
£148.

Now if I had spent the £148 remaining out of the £400 you gave me on
motor fuel I would have got (say) 30 quids worth of fuel all the rest
= £370 being tax.

Now :-)) since your finances are identical to mine to get the £400
that you paid to me in spendable cash you would have had to bill out
£400x400/180 = £888.88 to your customers just to pay me enough money
to buy 30 quids worth of poxy diesel in my sorry heap.
:-(

Tha above analysis is not rigorous, I don't have access to or
understand tax/NI tables. However it also omits most of the nickel and
dimeing taxes. Company car tax, taxes on notional benefits in kind,
such as private use of a works phone, computer, travel insurance
etc. GB created a tax incentive for firms to buy PC's for employees,
now he proposes taxing the employee on the benefit in kind on them.
Shysters. No other word for it.

DG

That's being kind. When you consider the way that the money is
incompetently spent, it is thievery.

Anybody who feels he needs self promotion by publishing pictures of the
wife and kids in order to convince a stupid public that he has a human
face is not to be trusted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 18:05:12 +0100, David Hansen
said:

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:16:10 GMT someone who may be "Brian Reay"
wrote this:-

It is time we displayed prices without VAT so people start to

recognise
how much we are being ripped off.

Ripped off?

What do you think VAT pays for? Perhaps you could do without the
health service, roads, the armed forces and so on, but I doubt if
many would.

One could delete the health service and save a substantial

proportion
of tax revenue....

Why not just shot anyone who earn under 100.000 K a year?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek ^" wrote in message
snip

Shysters. No other word for it.

Yes, your type are, and ignorant to boot...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:12:34 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2006-08-23 20:45:41 +0100, Derek ^ said:

{...]

Ripped off?

What do you think VAT pays for?

Dunno.

I know what it gets spent on ...

Buying votes with benefits (Turkeys don't vote for Christmas).

Right-on, 60's hippy-esque harebrained PC schemes to pacify Old Lab.

There are still dogs in the government? Actually a scan around
Downing St confirms this. CFL bulb subsidies and compulsions as well.

Incompetance, such as the various state IT fiascos (watch out for news
about ISOFT and Accenture before the end of the week.) This list is
not by any means exclusive.

Didn't see that. Have Wankcenture done it again?

They figured extensively (20 mins or so) in todays 13-00 news on R4.

Unfortunatel I missed the first 30 secs and annoyingly none of the +/-
six following contibutions said what the news item actually was, and
it couldn't be deduced from the editorial.

here's what it says on the BBC R4 website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sta...13_00hrs.stm#3

http://snipurl.com/vcyr

The long and short of it is that iSOFT has to declare financial
results by the end on this week and they cannot be anything but very
bloody.

They will need to
bring in McKinsey now to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Apparently the next project is a wind farm.... They are good at those.

Tiger Woods must be being paid a lot of money to put his name to all this.

The project atarted off at 2 Billion, overan to 6 Billion, is now
standing at 14 Billion with Health authorities having to contribute
local end costs bringing it up to 30 Billion, and the computer
industry press reckonsit will ultimately end up around 50 billion if
it gets to completion at all.

And Hansen still asks us what we think our VAT goes to pay for.

We know what it goes to pay for.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 18:05:12 +0100, David Hansen

wrote this:-

It is time we displayed prices without VAT so people start to

recognise
how much we are being ripped off.

Ripped off?

What do you think VAT pays for? Perhaps you could do without the
health service, roads, the armed forces and so on, but I doubt if
many would.

One could delete the health service and save a substantial

proportion
of tax revenue....

Why not just shot anyone who earn under 100.000 K a year?

That's another option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

reenews.net...

?

Also wet hand are very unhealthy to some,
such as those who suffer from arthritis or when the outside air /
wind chill temperature is near or below freezing.

Service station toilets are usually at the far end of the site, the air is
warm and hands are dry before you get outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:41:55 +0100, "Jerry"
wrote:

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.. .
snip

Shysters. No other word for it.

Yes, your type are, and ignorant to boot...

They don't like it up 'em do they.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 20:45:41 +0100, Derek ^ said:

{...]

[...]

Absolutely but watch how this gets packaged up to turn it into success
for the management consultants. Remember that these are people who
make decisions for those incapable of doing so for themselves and then
as soon as it goes wrong, which it always does, are able to slippery
shoulder it onto something faceless and unidentifiable.

They will need to bring in McKinsey now to snatch defeat from the jaws
of victory. Apparently the next project is a wind farm.... They are
good at those.

Tiger Woods must be being paid a lot of money to put his name to all this.

The project atarted off at 2 Billion, overan to 6 Billion, is now
standing at 14 Billion with Health authorities having to contribute
local end costs bringing it up to 30 Billion, and the computer
industry press reckonsit will ultimately end up around 50 billion if
it gets to completion at all.

And Hansen still asks us what we think our VAT goes to pay for.

We know what it goes to pay for.

Windmill projects.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:41:55 +0100, "Jerry"
wrote:

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.. .
snip

Shysters. No other word for it.

Yes, your type are, and ignorant to boot...

Ignore him folks, he's got shares in iSOFT.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 22:06:44 +0100, Derek ^ said:

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:41:55 +0100, "Jerry"
wrote:

"Derek ^" wrote in message
snip

Shysters. No other word for it.

Yes, your type are, and ignorant to boot...

Ignore him folks, he's got shares in iSOFT.

DG

I certainly hope so... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 17:46:57 +0100, Owain said:

Huge wrote:
I never "go" in the office when visiting the US because of those
bloody cubicles. I try to restrict my visits for #2's to the hotel.
The ability to sit on the throne and chat eye-to-eye to your next
door neighbour is not desirable, IMO.

"You-all had sweetcorn and jell-o again last night, Huge?"

Owain

Texas thang.

As in "Y'all come back now. Y'hear"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Jerry" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

snip

I've no idea about that but hands dry without artificial aids

.... I
don't
use hot air or paper on environmental grounds.

I also suspect that you have the time to allow your hands to dry

in
the breeze, unlike most.

?

Why the question mark, what don't you understand?

Also wet hand are very unhealthy to some,
such as those who suffer from arthritis or when the outside air /
wind chill temperature is near or below freezing.

Service station toilets are usually at the far end of the site, the

air is
warm and hands are dry before you get outside.

Me thinks that you have a very limited knowledge of service
stations...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek ^" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:41:55 +0100, "Jerry"

wrote:

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.. .
snip

Shysters. No other word for it.

Yes, your type are, and ignorant to boot...

They don't like it up 'em do they.

No, your sort don't, neither do they like being reminded about how
much your Goddess (Thatcher) wasted during her 11 year tenure, or the
back handers that flowed...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:34:21 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2006-08-23 21:14:16 +0100, Derek ^ said:

[...]

That is so.

I also didn't mention that the way means tested benefits such as
pension credits, means tested student grants and loans etc are
immediately withdrawn as soon as one enters in the productive economy
is nothing short of scandalous.

If an individual retires with a personal or company pension fund of
less than £130k saved over 40 years they might just as well have spent
it on a decent cruise + 3 short breaks to Rome, Athens or Benidorm
(etc) every year during their working life and still have had enough
left over to go boozing every Saturday night.because they will not
benefit from it by one iota, their pension credits will be reduced
pound for pound. The figure for a couple is IIRC £180,000.

Anybody who feels he needs self promotion by publishing pictures of the
wife and kids in order to convince a stupid public that he has a human
face is not to be trusted.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:24:11 +0100, "Jerry"
wrote:

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.. .
snip

Shysters. No other word for it.

Yes, your type are, and ignorant to boot...

They don't like it up 'em do they.

No, your sort don't, neither do they like being reminded about how
much your Goddess (Thatcher) wasted during her 11 year tenure, or the
back handers that flowed...

Calligan closed more rust belt indutries in the 4 years before Thatch
got in than she did in the 4 years after.

And as regards back handers they started in the Wislon era.

Whatever did happen to A.E.I. G.E.C. English Electric, Metro Cammell,
Elliot Automation, Lyons Electronic Office, Marconi ?

How did Calligan's son in law get qualified to be GB Ambassador to the
US? What a pity it was Calligan's Daughter started very publicly
shaggin herself silly as soon as she got to Washington.

Still:

Can't do much about Wislon

Can't do much about Calligan.

Can't do much about Thatch. (or Major)

But sure as hell I can do my best to stop Nulab ****ing what's left of
the country against the wall for the sake of a few more months in
office.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
"Jerry" writes:

How are hot air hand dryers unsanitary?

No one who's ever opened one up which has been in a toilet
facility for a while would ever use one. They very quickly
become completely disgusting inside, and they are never
cleaned out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"sm_jamieson" writes:
After recent trip to US/canada, I have observed that most toilets are
flushed by a type of syphon (or possibly active vaccuum judging by the
force of the suction) which completely empties the toilet bowl before
refilling it. There is a small hole pointing toward the back of the
outlet that refills the bowl. This is nothing like our washdown pans,
or even our vacuum assisted types, where the cistern water causes
partial vaccum in the outlet to assist emptying.

I think it's just a jet of high pressure water from the
front of the base acts like an old water vacuum pump to
suck the contents of the bowl into the u trap.

Here's a picture of one taken in Sun's Menlo Park office
by a former manager of mine...
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/syw...ys_are_naughty

These ones have no local cistern, but run from a high
pressure supply with a timed flush valve (on some, it's
electronic using an IR sensor).

I've also read the archived posts on toilet cubicles with gaps round
the doors, yet highly private urinals with flush, strange I agree.

The US ones I've used were all very non-private compared
with what you find in the UK, both pans and urinals.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Petrol should be expensive, to discourage use and encourage the
development of alternative technologies.

It is.

People still pay.

Indeed. However, many environmentally friendly energy sources are now
economically viable when they wouldn't be if petrol was cheap. Commercial
scale wind power, for example, is now extremely profitable, as the fossil
fuel prices have risen.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
UK public toilets are rarely clean

Oh come on! I've been very impressed in the last few years.

I can't speak about "public" toilets but I was impressed with all the
cafe/restaurant toilets I saw when in York last time. And the ones in the
Merchant Adventurers' Hall were decidedly swish.

Yes, but too few when there's an event on :-(

the only problem (this is personal and doesn't apply everywhere anyway)
is that some have piped music or radio.

helps to conceal other people's, err, "noises"

I'd rather hear farts and tinkles than Radio 1.

Mary

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

I'd rather hear farts and tinkles than Radio 1.

You can tell the difference? That is a cool trick ;-)

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On 2006-08-23, Jerry wrote:

How are hot air hand dryers unsanitary?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/consumer/s...730463,00.html

-- In the 1990s, the University of Westminster's School of
-- Biosciences - sponsored by the Association of Makers of Soft
-- Tissue Papers, it must be stressed - carried out some
-- studies into the difference in hygiene between paper towels
-- and dryers. The results are of interest, though, because
-- they show how long you must use a dryer to dry your hands,
-- something that the manufacturers rarely allow for in their
-- calculations. The studies concluded that warm-air dryers
-- were found to "significantly increase general bacterial
-- counts on the hands by an average of 255%", whereas towels
-- reduced general bacterial counts "by an average of 58%
-- (paper) and 45% (cotton)".

http://www.cleanseats.com/toilet_sea...article-7.html

-- Hot air driers, which were installed in public wash-rooms to
-- reduce the expense and litter of paper towels, are far less
-- "sanitary" than paper or cotton towels. A number of studies
-- of hot air hand driers, including Blackmore and Prisk (1984)
-- and Matthews and Newsom (1987), showed that hot air driers
-- were not effective in reducing the number of bacteria on the
-- hands. In fact, the rubbing of the hands under the hot air
-- device and the propelling of bacteria out of the hot air
-- jets combined to actually increase the number of bacteria in
-- the washroom. An additional complication, according to
-- Blackmore and Prisk, is that hot air driers take longer to
-- dry the hands than towels. Because only one person at a time
-- can use the drier, others may become impatient and wipe
-- their hands on their clothing or a handkerchief.
--
-- Another researcher, comparing bacterial residue on hands
-- after drying with the warm air device, paper towels or a
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
-- Another researcher, comparing bacterial residue on hands
-- after drying with the warm air device, paper towels or a
-- continuous cotton towel, found that the towels were
-- significantly better in removing micro-organisms. While the
-- electric devices increased bacteria on the hands by 162
-- percent, paper towels decreased bacteria levels by 29
-- percent.

Your hands can, presumably, never be cleaner than the water with which you
rinse them.
--
SAm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23, Jerry wrote:

Funny how people don't like paying tax but still want all that

the
tax pays for...

This is because they are either innumerate or hypocrites or

both.

So you will not be claiming your state pension,

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha[gasp]hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
..
snip abuse

IOW you are a hypocrite...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek ^" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:24:11 +0100, "Jerry"

wrote:

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.. .
snip

[...]

Exactly - it's not the people, it's the system, so why the personal
abuse?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

It is time we displayed
prices without VAT so people start to recognise how much we are being ripped
off.

Ripped off?

What do you think VAT pays for?

Itself, mostly (allegedly).

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

Sam Nelson wrote:

Your hands can, presumably, never be cleaner than the water with which you
rinse them.

As every SWMBO will tell you, you can "wash" your hands and wipe the
dirt off on the towel! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So you will not be claiming your state pension,

You really think that Ponzi scheme will be available when you
come to claim the pathetic dribble returned of the 50% of your
earnings that have been confiscated all your life?

I read a survey once where more people under about 30 (can't remember the
exact age) thought that they would win the lottery in their lifetime than
believed they would receive a basic state pension when they retired. The
survey included people who don't enter the lottery.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message
In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
-- Another researcher, comparing bacterial residue on hands
-- after drying with the warm air device, paper towels or a
-- continuous cotton towel, found that the towels were
-- significantly better in removing micro-organisms. While the
-- electric devices increased bacteria on the hands by 162
-- percent, paper towels decreased bacteria levels by 29
-- percent.

Your hands can, presumably, never be cleaner than the water with which you
rinse them.

And then only for a very short time.

The air is full of bacteria, your skin is, your car keys are, your steering
wheel is - and as for picking your nose or scratching your head ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

I'd rather hear farts and tinkles than Radio 1.

You can tell the difference? That is a cool trick ;-)

Well, I realised after I hit send that it might be difficult. But wind and
water aren't as noisy as loudspeakers.

Mary

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Huge wrote:
Oh, and I pay nearly GBP30,000 a year in taxes

You must have a really, really, crap accountant :-)

Or he's VERY rich!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
So you will not be claiming your state pension,

You really think that Ponzi scheme will be available when you
come to claim the pathetic dribble returned of the 50% of your
earnings that have been confiscated all your life?

I read a survey once where more people under about 30 (can't remember the
exact age) thought that they would win the lottery in their lifetime than
believed they would receive a basic state pension when they retired. The
survey included people who don't enter the lottery.

LOL!

I worked out that we had made quite a lot of money by not doing the lottery.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
So you will not be claiming your state pension,
You really think that Ponzi scheme will be available when you
come to claim the pathetic dribble returned of the 50% of your
earnings that have been confiscated all your life?

I read a survey once where more people under about 30 (can't remember the
exact age) thought that they would win the lottery in their lifetime than
believed they would receive a basic state pension when they retired. The
survey included people who don't enter the lottery.

LOL!

I worked out that we had made quite a lot of money by not doing the lottery.

Surely you didn't *make* money?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:22:04 +0100 Richard Conway wrote :
I worked out that we had made quite a lot of money by not doing the
lottery.

Surely you didn't *make* money?

You would if you were a lottery grant consultant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.misc

On 2006-08-24, Mary Fisher wrote:

The air is full of bacteria, your skin is, your car keys are, your steering
wheel is - and as for picking your nose or scratching your head ...

The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been blowing
across people's damp hands...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:23:53 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

|On 2006-08-24, Mary Fisher wrote:
|
| The air is full of bacteria, your skin is, your car keys are, your steering
| wheel is - and as for picking your nose or scratching your head ...
|
|The air is even more full of bacteria when warm air has been blowing
|across people's damp hands...

Not all bacteria cause disease, many are helpful to the human body, notably
those in Yoghurt and most strains of E-Coli.

uk.misc deleted

American Precision Musuem Show Errol Groff Metalworking 0 October 15th 05 01:37 PM
Revocation of American Independence Bob Chilcoat Metalworking 2 December 22nd 04 09:14 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
First American Home Buyers Protection Plan - BEWARE! C-surfr Home Ownership 2 March 12th 04 01:01 PM