Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^ Derek ^ is offline

Default American toilets

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:11:05 GMT, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

"Derek ^" wrote in message
.. .
.

Whatever did happen to A.E.I. G.E.C. English Electric, Metro Cammell,
Elliot Automation, Lyons Electronic Office, Marconi ?

Most went into the huge GEC / Weinstock empire, which was wrecked after he
retired.

The people who worked in Weinstock industries tend towards the belief
that the first thing he did after taking them over was wreck them. "If
Weinstock thinks Marconi's can make more profit making bath plugs then
Marconi's will make bath plugs".

A large chunk (the defence business) was then sold to BAe, the
telecomms bit was left to almost disappear in a puff of bad management. I
think the Metro Cammell bit is still around making trains.

I think Lyons went into ICL, which then tied up with Fujitsu.

I most of the above happened over an extended period and could not seriously
be blamed on a particular government.

Harodl Wislon's appointment of trade union leader Frank Cousins (To be
succeeded by Wedgy Benn { BARF} ) as Head of the new Ministry Of
Technology didn't do much for the "White Hot Technological Revolution"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_of_Technology

DG