Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default American toilets

On 2006-08-23 21:01:45 +0100, "Tournifreak" said:

Funilly enough, me too. In fact, I was so intruiged that I partially
dismantled the cistern in my hotel bedroom to try to work it out.
Unfortunately I didn't go prepared with any tools so I didn't get far
(probably a good job really) Inside the cistern there was soem sort of
pressure vessel though. The cistern appeared to push a very high
powered jet of water from the front of the bowl to the rear, pushing
the contents of the bowl out through a very small hole. It certainly
used very little water and seemed very effective. I wouldn't have one
in my house though for the simple reason that they are *very* noisy.
(Especially at 3am)

Jon.

Ah those things. Holiday Inns have them. One reason I avoid Holiday Inns.

Yes, it *was* a Holiday Inn. I'm impressed with your knowledge of hotel
lavatory facilities!

I stay in so many different hotels it becomes almost a hobby to inspect
the plumbing, the air conditioning and sometimes the wiring to see how
they work.

It's certainly a way to find out which brands of bathroom ceramic and
brassware are solid and which aren't.

I've never seen these kinds of pressure flush anywhere else and was
intrigued, so had to look inside the cistern to see how it worked.
The mechanics seem to be a retrofit kit because the chinaware was not
that new. It was probably done as a water saving measure.
There is indeed a pressure vessel. The label on the side indicated
that it was precharged to 30PSI (about 2 bar). It was filled with a
non-return valve from the mains and then there was a sprung return
valve hooking up the vessel to the flush pipe. Press the button and
it discharges the lot in a very few seconds. One effect of that was
that there was splashing of the bowl contents onto the floor.
Unlike most hotels in the Nordic countries, these bathrooms do not have
a drain set into the floor, so there is no convenient way to just hose
the floor with the shower hose.

The idea seemed quite good, the execution poor.