Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

Default Britains' oldest boiler..

Non of yer new fangled condensing malarky here. I even spotted a relay
valve and weepline stat on one of them!.

http://www.oldestboiler.co.uk/

view the pdf book.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin

in 514315 20060324 081814 tarquinlinbin wrote:
Non of yer new fangled condensing malarky here. I even spotted a relay
valve and weepline stat on one of them!.

http://www.oldestboiler.co.uk/

view the pdf book.

These all look incredibly modern compared to the boiler in my house when
I moved in (1969). It was oil, which was dripped into a round dish and burned
with a swan-neck pipe blowing air into the centre of the dish. It packed up
about 3 weeks later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tarquinlinbin

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:00:37 GMT, Bob Martin
wrote:

in 514315 20060324 081814 tarquinlinbin wrote:
Non of yer new fangled condensing malarky here. I even spotted a relay
valve and weepline stat on one of them!.

http://www.oldestboiler.co.uk/

view the pdf book.

These all look incredibly modern compared to the boiler in my house when
I moved in (1969). It was oil, which was dripped into a round dish and burned
with a swan-neck pipe blowing air into the centre of the dish. It packed up
about 3 weeks later.

Wow that does sound crude. The fore runner to the forced draught
burner perhaps?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message

I thought it was me ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message

Non of yer new fangled condensing
malarky here. I even spotted a relay
valve and weepline stat on one of them!.

Yep, I used to work on them. A tube of neatsfoot oil for the leather
diaphragm on the relay valve cured any gas leaks and made it run smoother.
They were purely non-electric controls with weep pipes going to the boiler
'stat, room 'stat and mechanical clock too. Some had modulating burners, in
that the stats were gradual acting and would slowly close or remain stable.
In doing so the relay valve would move up and down reducing the gas to the
burner, modulating the burner. It took many years to get modulation with
electric controls. There were some kits available to replace the leather
diaphragms with neoprene in the valves. They were very reliable, more
reliable than the electric controls. They were simple...once you understood
them. The average plumber would run a mile from them.

http://www.oldestboiler.co.uk/

view the pdf book.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Bob Martin wrote:

These all look incredibly modern compared to the boiler in my house when
I moved in (1969). It was oil, which was dripped into a round dish and burned
with a swan-neck pipe blowing air into the centre of the dish. It packed up
about 3 weeks later.

Yes, mine would have come second, but I ripped it out a year or two
back. It dated was made by Powell Dufryn (?) in 1963, cast iron, one
section, the thermostat was operated by gas pressure. Still working
when I dumped it, the most complex bit was a buzzing solenoid valve. It
lit with an alarming 'whoompf' sound.

In comparison, see this;
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18424734.400.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 24 Mar 2006 09:30:19 -0800, "Aidan" wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:

These all look incredibly modern compared to the boiler in my house when
I moved in (1969). It was oil, which was dripped into a round dish and burned
with a swan-neck pipe blowing air into the centre of the dish. It packed up
about 3 weeks later.

Yes, mine would have come second, but I ripped it out a year or two
back. It dated was made by Powell Dufryn (?) in 1963, cast iron, one
section, the thermostat was operated by gas pressure. Still working
when I dumped it, the most complex bit was a buzzing solenoid valve. It
lit with an alarming 'whoompf' sound.

In comparison, see this;
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18424734.400.html

This sounds like rhetoric from that guy who writes for the Telegraph.

The author has made the typical confusion between combi and condensing
boilers. One might expect it in the press - even the Telegraph
doesn't always get things right - but one would have hoped that a
journal purporting to explain science could do a bit better than this.

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message . com
from "Aidan" contains these words:

In comparison, see this;
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18424734.400.html

That tickled me the first time I read it 'cos I'd not long had the same
argument with someone about cars.

"The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs does not include
these secondary energy costs in its efficiency ratings for boilers.
Until the full life cycle is factored in - including costs to install,
service, maintain and recycle - boilers and other supposedly
energy-saving products may generate more pollution, not less."

Yeah, and you can bet DoT doesn't do so with new cars, either. I keep
meaning to ask Last Word where the break even point is between scrapping
a moderately efficient old car and building a new more efficient one. I
can't believe it's always better to scrap old cars just 'cos they're
less efficient.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Guy King" wrote in message
[...]

Modern cars are infinitely more reliable, with far less service intervals,
than older cars, especially Hondas and Toyotas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Aidan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bob Martin wrote:

These all look incredibly modern compared to the boiler in my house when
I moved in (1969). It was oil, which was dripped into a round dish and
burned
with a swan-neck pipe blowing air into the centre of the dish. It packed
up
about 3 weeks later.

Yes, mine would have come second, but I ripped it out a year or two
back. It dated was made by Powell Dufryn (?) in 1963, cast iron, one
section, the thermostat was operated by gas pressure. Still working
when I dumped it, the most complex bit was a buzzing solenoid valve. It
lit with an alarming 'whoompf' sound.

In comparison, see this;
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18424734.400.html

Total tripe.

"Take one example. A survey of gas installers that I and colleagues
conducted in the Nottingham area revealed that some 40 per cent of today's
energy-efficient combination boilers break down within the first year, and
ongoing repair and service costs can average £160 per year. Boiler lifespans
are down to only three years in some cases."

He and his colleagues carried out? 3 years? Get a life!! Only in the
Torygraph!
"The energy expended in repairs, manufacturing of parts, distribution
networks and so on may soon outstrip the working energy saved by the
new-style boilers - if it hasn't already. As a result, a so-called
energy-saving boiler may use more energy and be more polluting than a simple
old-style boiler with manual pilot light and cast-iron components."

More total ********.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

The author has made the typical confusion between combi and condensing
boilers. One might expect it in the press - even the Telegraph
doesn't always get things right - but one would have hoped that a
journal purporting to explain science could do a bit better than this.

Well, it was a letter rather than an article, so New Scientist isn't
directly responsible for the views expressed, but often the debate
stimulated by such letters is revealing.

Anyway, just 'cos he mentions combination boilers and may have meant
condensing boilers doesn't mean the whole argument is wrong. I happen to
think he may well have a point.

He hasn't a point at all. This is tabloid misinformation crap based on firm
data at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Guy King" wrote in message

I can't believe it's always better to scrap old cars just 'cos they're
less efficient.

They are scrapped because they are not economically viable to fix. They can
all be fixeded, but cost more to fix than what the market value is.

One of my favourite boilers is the Dutch Atmos because of the large copper
coil/aluminium heat exchanger. The controls are very simple and ultra
reliable.

They even have a no drain condensing model. They have only recently been
sold in the UK. A real quality product. Expensive but worth it.

http://www.atmos.uk.com/core_files/productDoc(109).pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Andy Hall wrote:

The author has made the typical confusion between combi and condensing
boilers.

He may have. I think it more likely that he meant exactly what he said;
"...........that some 40 per cent of today's energy-efficient
combination boilers break down within the first year"

I spent some time trying to steer a relative away from a combi. They're
more complex than the equivalent system boiler and just have more parts
to go wrong. The relative lives in a hard water area.

I doubt that my new boiler will last the 40 years it's predecessor
did. I'm spending a lot less on gas though.

One might expect it in the press - even the Telegraph
doesn't always get things right - but one would have hoped that a
journal purporting to explain science could do a bit better than this.

It was a letter and I've no idea whether the author has any technical
background. It sounds quite plausible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message . com
from "Aidan" contains these words:

Yeah, and you can bet DoT doesn't do so with new cars, either. I keep
meaning to ask Last Word where the break even point is between scrapping
a moderately efficient old car and building a new more efficient one. I
can't believe it's always better to scrap old cars just 'cos they're
less efficient.

I've never been convinced of that either but am always shouted down!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I've never been convinced of that either but am always shouted down!

Were you the Mary Fisher on Feedback today?

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

I doubt that my new boiler will last the 40 years it's predecessor
did. I'm spending a lot less on gas though.

Your lucky then..
I estimate that I would save at most £5pm over what my 25 year old boiler
uses.
It will take a long time to save the cost of a new "modern" boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I've never been convinced of that either but am always shouted down!

Were you the Mary Fisher on Feedback today?

I cannot tell a lie!

It was a surprise to us too but I didn't think anyone else would notice. It
was sent about three weeks ago.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message . com
from "Aidan" contains these words:

Yeah, and you can bet DoT doesn't do so with new cars, either. I keep
meaning to ask Last Word where the break even point is between scrapping
a moderately efficient old car and building a new more efficient one. I
can't believe it's always better to scrap old cars just 'cos they're
less efficient.

I've never been convinced of that either but am always shouted down!

And what superhuman could manage that ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

I doubt that my new boiler will last the 40 years it's predecessor
did. I'm spending a lot less on gas though.

Your lucky then..
I estimate that I would save at most £5pm over what my 25 year old boiler
uses.
It will take a long time to save the cost of a new "modern" boiler.

A 90% plus condensing boiler will drop your bills ~40% over an old cast-iron
job. If it is only £5 a month then you don't use much gas. Or the system
has been poorly installed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

It was a surprise to us too but I didn't think anyone else would notice. It
was sent about three weeks ago.

You and Yours have done that to me a couple of times, too.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

I doubt that my new boiler will last the 40 years it's predecessor
did. I'm spending a lot less on gas though.

Your lucky then..
I estimate that I would save at most £5pm over what my 25 year old boiler
uses.
It will take a long time to save the cost of a new "modern" boiler.

A 90% plus condensing boiler will drop your bills ~40% over an old
cast-iron job. If it is only £5 a month then you don't use much gas. Or
the system has been poorly installed.

Or its a 25 year old, low water content boiler with a copper heat exchanger
which works at about 80%+ efficiency with a proper control system with
timer/stats on each zone.
It heats the house and all the hot water too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Andy Hall wrote:

The author has made the typical confusion between combi and condensing
boilers.

He may have. I think it more likely that he meant exactly what he said;
"...........that some 40 per cent of today's energy-efficient
combination boilers break down within the first year"

I spent some time trying to steer a
relative away from a combi. They're
more complex than the equivalent
system boiler and just have more parts
to go wrong. The relative lives in a hard water area.

You don't know much about boilers then. A combi is a system boiler with a
water section added. Some are clearly not complex at all. Look at the link
for the Atmos I gave. It shows the innards of the heat exchanger. The DHW
is just another coil in the heat exchanger; the small red tube. It doesn't
even have a 3-way valve, acting like a multi-point. You have to know the
market and what is on offer and most of all understand the technologies
behind it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

I doubt that my new boiler will last the 40 years it's predecessor
did. I'm spending a lot less on gas though.

Your lucky then..
I estimate that I would save at most £5pm over what my 25 year old
boiler uses.
It will take a long time to save the cost of a new "modern" boiler.

A 90% plus condensing boiler will drop your bills ~40% over an old
cast-iron job. If it is only £5 a month then you don't use much gas. Or
the system has been poorly installed.

Or its a 25 year old, low water content boiler with a copper heat
exchanger which works at about 80%+ efficiency with a proper control
system with timer/stats on each zone.
It heats the house and all the hot water too.

You got the best of breed 25 years ago, which is not representative of 25
year old boilers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tarquinlinbin wrote:

Non of yer new fangled condensing malarky here. I even spotted a relay
valve and weepline stat on one of them!.

http://www.oldestboiler.co.uk/

view the pdf book.

I assume theyre trying to soften customers up for a new boiler. Putting
a 17 yr old boiler in there is simply daft.

And they dont seem to have done their research too good, I could have
pointed them to a 1930s boiler still in use, and I'm not in the trade.
Mind you I suspect people still running ancients are in no rush to draw
attention ot the fact.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

wrote:
tarquinlinbin wrote:

Non of yer new fangled condensing malarky here. I even spotted a relay
valve and weepline stat on one of them!.

http://www.oldestboiler.co.uk/

view the pdf book.

I assume theyre trying to soften customers up for a new boiler. Putting
a 17 yr old boiler in there is simply daft.

And they dont seem to have done their research too good, I could have
pointed them to a 1930s boiler still in use, and I'm not in the trade.
Mind you I suspect people still running ancients are in no rush to draw
attention ot the fact.

If I were to sign up to a contract from Powergen, they would take my
money in a hurry, say my 30 yr+ Glowworm couldn't be repaired at the
first hint of a problem, then charge £2000+ to install a completely new
but unreliable one.
Granted that the new one is more energy efficient, it could take 10yrs
to recoupe the outlay, after allowing for an essential service contract
in the meantime.
So until the old boiler becomes unrepairable, or I move house, it is
definitely staying there.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"john2" wrote in message

If I were to sign up to a contract from Powergen, they would take my money
in a hurry, say my 30 yr+ Glowworm couldn't be repaired at the first hint
of a problem, then charge £2000+ to install a completely new but
unreliable one.

You get what you pay for. Fit a cheap and nasty boiler and it is
unreliable. Fit a Glow Worm condenser (Vaillant made in Holland), Vaillant
(made in Holland and Germany), Viessmann (Germany), Atmos (Holland), ACV
(Belgium), Eco-Hometec (Germany), Quantum (England)etc and they last and
last and rarely go wrong. If you buy a Ladas of the boilers then don't
complain.

Granted that the new one is more energy efficient, it could take 10yrs to
recoupe the outlay, after allowing for an essential service contract in
the meantime.

10 years? As they drop your bills by 30-40% that will be quite quick, and
as fuel keeps rising, quicker than you think.

So until the old boiler becomes unrepairable, or I move house, it is
definitely staying there.

A foolish view.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Guy King writes:
You and Yours have done that to me a couple of times, too.

They read out an email I sent them, only a few minutes after I sent it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:
"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message

I thought it was me ...

Mary

I was about to make that point and claim my £5..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Aidan

Doctor Drivel wrote:

I spent some time trying to steer a
relative away from a combi. They're
more complex than the equivalent
system boiler and just have more parts
to go wrong. The relative lives in a hard water area.

You don't know much about boilers then.

Oh dear.
I know enough to know that they didn't want a combi. 1.5 bar max mains
pressure, very hard water, large house; only an idiot would install a
combi.

A combi is a system boiler with a
water section added.

A combi is a combi and is not a system boiler.

Some are clearly not complex at all. Look at the link
for the Atmos I gave.

Yeah, thank s for that recommendation, Dr. Drivel.
(Makes mental note, avoid recommended boiler like a very virulent &
incurable plague).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:
"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message

I thought it was me ...

Mary

I was about to make that point and claim my £5..

I knew somebody would, that's why I got in first!

I'll spend the£5 for you :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
One might expect it in the press - even the Telegraph
doesn't always get things right - but one would have hoped that a
journal purporting to explain science could do a bit better than this.

I well remember the Telegraph reporting a major equipment theft from a BBC
TV Centre control room I discovered - being the first one of the crew in
that day.

They simply made up 95% of the article.

That was many years ago, but facts never got in the way of a good story
for any paper.

Of course that was years ago.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Hmm.. I've always found that getting the interviewer to shut up for
long enough was harder....

I don't let 'em get a word in edgeways.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
A 90% plus condensing boiler will drop your bills ~40% over an old
cast-iron job. If it is only £5 a month then you don't use much gas.
Or the system has been poorly installed.

This is, as usual, total crap from dribble.

My brother had a BF BE floorstander with cast iron heat exchanger replaced
by a condenser after BG said they couldn't maintain it anymore under their
service contract. 18% saving in gas costs - and take my word for it he
knows how to work these things out accurately.

The replacement breaks down at least twice a year. And is broken at this
moment leaving them with no heating or hot water for 4 days - really
useful in the NE of Scotland.

Of course if it stays broken this could well make the gas saving of 40%
that dribble says.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I well remember the Telegraph reporting a major equipment theft from a BBC
TV Centre control room I discovered - being the first one of the crew in
that day.

They simply made up 95% of the article.

That was many years ago, but facts never got in the way of a good story
for any paper.

Of course that was years ago.

Nothing changes, the Daily Mail edited a letter I wrote to them
complaining about their misreporting of the pre-announcement of VED
changes in this year's budget, removed all references to their
misreporting and incompetence and published it on their website, so
heavily cut and altered I can scarcely recognise it.

The Radio Times once published my name as a competition winner, never
gave me the prize and refused to answer any correspondence relating to
the subject.

"Horizon" misrepresented my research and refused to publish a retraction
or even an explanation.

The latest press reports on the work I do at present are so
biased/misunderstood that they are effectively worthless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Mary Fisher wrote:

You've been 'done' by Humphrys?

"Feedback" on Radio 4 read out a sycophantic email from a "Mary Fisher"
recently, I would sue them if I were you, it made the sender sound like
a brainless schoolgirl and people may assume it was you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
One might expect it in the press - even the Telegraph
doesn't always get things right - but one would have hoped that a
journal purporting to explain science could do a bit better than this.

I well remember the Telegraph reporting a major equipment theft from a BBC
TV Centre control room I discovered - being the first one of the crew in
that day.

They simply made up 95% of the article.

That was many years ago, but facts never got in the way of a good story
for any paper.

Of course that was years ago.

Of course.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Real bread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Hmm.. I've always found that getting the interviewer to shut up for
long enough was harder....

I don't let 'em get a word in edgeways.

You are John Humphrys and I claim my £5.

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..I SAID YOU ARE JOHN HUMPHRYS AND I CLAIM MY £5

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

If you'll let me finish ....

--
Skipweasel

Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Noisy banging boiler what is the cause? Tim UK diy 8 November 3rd 04 09:36 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM