Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Britains' oldest boiler..

On 24 Mar 2006 09:30:19 -0800, "Aidan" wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:

These all look incredibly modern compared to the boiler in my house when
I moved in (1969). It was oil, which was dripped into a round dish and burned
with a swan-neck pipe blowing air into the centre of the dish. It packed up
about 3 weeks later.

Yes, mine would have come second, but I ripped it out a year or two
back. It dated was made by Powell Dufryn (?) in 1963, cast iron, one
section, the thermostat was operated by gas pressure. Still working
when I dumped it, the most complex bit was a buzzing solenoid valve. It
lit with an alarming 'whoompf' sound.

In comparison, see this;
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18424734.400.html

This sounds like rhetoric from that guy who writes for the Telegraph.

The author has made the typical confusion between combi and condensing
boilers. One might expect it in the press - even the Telegraph
doesn't always get things right - but one would have hoped that a
journal purporting to explain science could do a bit better than this.

--

..andy

http://www.usenet.com