Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

Default Britains' oldest boiler..

The message . com
from "Aidan" contains these words:

In comparison, see this;
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18424734.400.html

That tickled me the first time I read it 'cos I'd not long had the same
argument with someone about cars.

"The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs does not include
these secondary energy costs in its efficiency ratings for boilers.
Until the full life cycle is factored in - including costs to install,
service, maintain and recycle - boilers and other supposedly
energy-saving products may generate more pollution, not less."

Yeah, and you can bet DoT doesn't do so with new cars, either. I keep
meaning to ask Last Word where the break even point is between scrapping
a moderately efficient old car and building a new more efficient one. I
can't believe it's always better to scrap old cars just 'cos they're
less efficient.

--
Skipweasel