Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Britains' oldest boiler..

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

I doubt that my new boiler will last the 40 years it's predecessor
did. I'm spending a lot less on gas though.

Your lucky then..
I estimate that I would save at most £5pm over what my 25 year old
boiler uses.
It will take a long time to save the cost of a new "modern" boiler.

A 90% plus condensing boiler will drop your bills ~40% over an old
cast-iron job. If it is only £5 a month then you don't use much gas. Or
the system has been poorly installed.

Or its a 25 year old, low water content boiler with a copper heat
exchanger which works at about 80%+ efficiency with a proper control
system with timer/stats on each zone.
It heats the house and all the hot water too.

You got the best of breed 25 years ago, which is not representative of 25
year old boilers.