Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Britains' oldest boiler..

"john2" wrote in message

If I were to sign up to a contract from Powergen, they would take my money
in a hurry, say my 30 yr+ Glowworm couldn't be repaired at the first hint
of a problem, then charge £2000+ to install a completely new but
unreliable one.

You get what you pay for. Fit a cheap and nasty boiler and it is
unreliable. Fit a Glow Worm condenser (Vaillant made in Holland), Vaillant
(made in Holland and Germany), Viessmann (Germany), Atmos (Holland), ACV
(Belgium), Eco-Hometec (Germany), Quantum (England)etc and they last and
last and rarely go wrong. If you buy a Ladas of the boilers then don't
complain.

Granted that the new one is more energy efficient, it could take 10yrs to
recoupe the outlay, after allowing for an essential service contract in
the meantime.

10 years? As they drop your bills by 30-40% that will be quite quick, and
as fuel keeps rising, quicker than you think.

So until the old boiler becomes unrepairable, or I move house, it is
definitely staying there.

A foolish view.