Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Britains' oldest boiler..

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Andy Hall wrote:

The author has made the typical confusion between combi and condensing
boilers.

He may have. I think it more likely that he meant exactly what he said;
"...........that some 40 per cent of today's energy-efficient
combination boilers break down within the first year"

I spent some time trying to steer a
relative away from a combi. They're
more complex than the equivalent
system boiler and just have more parts
to go wrong. The relative lives in a hard water area.

You don't know much about boilers then. A combi is a system boiler with a
water section added. Some are clearly not complex at all. Look at the link
for the Atmos I gave. It shows the innards of the heat exchanger. The DHW
is just another coil in the heat exchanger; the small red tube. It doesn't
even have a 3-way valve, acting like a multi-point. You have to know the
market and what is on offer and most of all understand the technologies
behind it.