Member

Default Council "insiders" and planning permission

We have discovered that a house at the end of our road (the corner plot) has been bought by a local counciller. We also know in the past they have used their contacts in the council to get round the planning laws which apply to Joe public so we are concerned that an extension is about to be built and will detract from our road frontage and devalue all the properties in our road.
What options do we have to prevent building going ahead on the basis that Travellers and the like have regularly obtained retrospective planning.
We are determined to catch this early as we reckon that once work starts they will get away with it!

Not strictly a DIY subject but a guess many on this board will have come across planning issues??

Thanks for any ideas.

Freddy
Christian McArdle

Not strictly a DIY subject but a guess many on this board will have
come across planning issues??

Firstly, keep going to the council offices and look at the notice board
installed in the locked broom cupboard. Also, if your council has a decent
website, they often publish all applications on there.

As soon as you notice work that requires permission commence, immediately
contact the council if you haven't seen an application go in.

Christian.

Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:14:38 +0000, freddyuk
wrote:

| We have discovered that a house at the end of our road (the corner plot)
| has been bought by a local counciller. We also know in the past they
| have used their contacts in the council to get round the planning laws
| which apply to Joe public so we are concerned that an extension is
| about to be built and will detract from our road frontage and devalue
| all the properties in our road.
| What options do we have to prevent building going ahead on the basis
| that Travellers and the like have regularly obtained retrospective
| planning.
| We are determined to catch this early as we reckon that once work
| starts they will get away with it!
|
| Not strictly a DIY subject but a guess many on this board will have
| come across planning issues??
|
| Thanks for any ideas.

All planning applications are advertised, in outline, on little yellow
boards, which tell you to go to the planning department to see full
details, you have ??? days to object. I have done this and it works fine.
Keep your eyes open.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
All planning applications are advertised, in outline, on little yellow
boards, which tell you to go to the planning department to see full
details, you have ??? days to object.

Does anyone from the council check that such notices remain in place for
the period required? It seems simple and effective for the applicant to
remove it as soon as it appears.

--
Mike Barnes
:::Jerry::::

"freddyuk" wrote in message

We have discovered that a house at the end of our road (the corner

plot)
has been bought by a local counciller. We also know in the past

they
have used their contacts in the council to get round the planning

laws
which apply to Joe public so we are concerned that an extension is
about to be built and will detract from our road frontage and

devalue
all the properties in our road.snip rant

I suspect most do nothing if the sort, all they do is work within the
system, in other words they do nothing more than anyone who 'knows'
planning law could.

Cicero

"freddyuk" wrote in message

[...]

=====================
If you believe that a Councillor is abusing his position you might have a
case for the Local Government Ombudsman.

Look he
http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-ri...nt/index.shtml

Cic.

Brian Sharrock

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Not strictly a DIY subject but a guess many on this board will have
come across planning issues??

Firstly, keep going to the council offices and look at the notice board
installed in the locked broom cupboard. Also, if your council has a decent
website, they often publish all applications on there.

As soon as you notice work that requires permission commence, immediately
contact the council if you haven't seen an application go in.

Christian.

Unfortunately not all work requires planning permission.
A property has an inherent right to 'permitted development',
this may include, but not be limited to, a loft conversion, an
extension, a garage, etc. etc.
Although permitted development must adhere to the Building Regulations
and the BCO must have been notified of the intended work -and
will inspect the work at various stages - You will not have been
informed that it will be carried out.

--

Brian

Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:51:59 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

| In uk.d-i-y, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| All planning applications are advertised, in outline, on little yellow
| boards, which tell you to go to the planning department to see full
| details, you have ??? days to object.
|
| Does anyone from the council check that such notices remain in place for
| the period required? It seems simple and effective for the applicant to
| remove it as soon as it appears.

Another conspiracy theory. Have you been abducted by aliens recently?
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Mike Barnes

wrote:

| In uk.d-i-y, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| All planning applications are advertised, in outline, on little yellow
| boards, which tell you to go to the planning department to see full
| details, you have ??? days to object.
|
| Does anyone from the council check that such notices remain in place for
| the period required? It seems simple and effective for the applicant to
| remove it as soon as it appears.

Another conspiracy theory. Have you been abducted by aliens recently?

I *am* an alien.

--
Mike Barnes
Rick

wrote:

We have discovered that a house at the end of our road (the corner plot)
has been bought by a local counciller. We also know in the past they
have used their contacts in the council to get round the planning laws
which apply to Joe public so we are concerned that an extension is
about to be built and will detract from our road frontage and devalue
all the properties in our road.
What options do we have to prevent building going ahead on the basis
that Travellers and the like have regularly obtained retrospective
planning.
We are determined to catch this early as we reckon that once work
starts they will get away with it!

Not strictly a DIY subject but a guess many on this board will have
come across planning issues??

Thanks for any ideas.

Freddy

Do your homework VERY throughley, and write an article for the local
paper.

Alternativly the local paper may do the homework for you, if you set
them off in the right direction.

Rick

Christian McArdle

Unfortunately not all work requires planning permission.
A property has an inherent right to 'permitted development',
this may include, but not be limited to, a loft conversion, an
extension, a garage, etc. etc.

But permitted development rights are quite limited to the front elevation of
a property.

Christian.

Ian White

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

"freddyuk" wrote in message

We have discovered that a house at the end of our road (the corner

plot)
has been bought by a local counciller. We also know in the past

they
have used their contacts in the council to get round the planning

laws
which apply to Joe public so we are concerned that an extension is
about to be built and will detract from our road frontage and

devalue
all the properties in our road.snip rant

I suspect most do nothing if the sort, all they do is work within the
system, in other words they do nothing more than anyone who 'knows'
planning law could.

That's a very good point. The company wanting to "develop" the field out
back of us ran rings around the neighbours who objected, simply because
we were all first-timers.

Nothing illegal was done, but discretion was used in an area where
arguably it shouldn't have been... and by the time we found this out, it
was too late.

--
Ian White
Brian Sharrock

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Unfortunately not all work requires planning permission.
A property has an inherent right to 'permitted development',
this may include, but not be limited to, a loft conversion, an
extension, a garage, etc. etc.

But permitted development rights are quite limited to the front elevation
of
a property.

Christian.

I'll _respectfully_ suggest that you don't know what
you're talking about. The 'front elevation' essentially can't
be changed without 'planning permission' - but - other things
being equal PD will permit one to add a large volume
to the rear of a house - that's _not_ "limited to the front elevation "
I would recommend that you familiarise with the legislation ...
many D_I_Y manuals have helpful isometrics of what's
permitted and not.
Unless you're not intending to mean what you've written.

--

Brian

Grunff

Brian Sharrock wrote:

Unfortunately not all work requires planning permission.

Nothing unfortunate about it.

--
Grunff

I'll _respectfully_ suggest that you don't know what
you're talking about. The 'front elevation' essentially can't
be changed without 'planning permission' - but - other things
being equal PD will permit one to add a large volume
to the rear of a house - that's _not_ "limited to the front elevation "
I would recommend that you familiarise with the legislation ...
many D_I_Y manuals have helpful isometrics of what's
permitted and not.
Unless you're not intending to mean what you've written.

You can add a porch to the front of a house without planning permission
usually,
if it's within a certain size, 3m2 foor area if I recall correctly.
Simon.

Christian McArdle

But permitted development rights are quite limited to the front elevation

I'll _respectfully_ suggest that you don't know what
you're talking about. The 'front elevation' essentially can't
be changed without 'planning permission' - but - other things
being equal PD will permit one to add a large volume
to the rear of a house - that's _not_ "limited to the front elevation "

I think you took "limited" in the wrong sense.

Perhaps if I reorder the sentence to remove the ambiguity (although the word
"quite" actually precludes your interpretation).

"permitted development rights to the front elevation are quite limited"

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Unfortunately not all work requires planning permission.

Nothing unfortunate about it.

That depends on the taste of your neighbours. I think some things should be
tightened up. Stone cladding a terraced house should have a fixed penalty
applied, such as genital mutilation and forfeiture of the property. I think
that would be proportionate.

Christian.

Brian Sharrock wrote:
[...]

Um, I don't mean to shove my oar in where it's not wanted but I read
Christian's post as saying that the type of work allowed to the front
elevation of a building under permitted development was "quite limited"
- that is, most changes to the front of a building *would* require
planning permisson - rather than permitted development *being limited
to* work on the front elevation, which is what I think you're saying.
So I think you're actually agreeing with each other....Pardon me if
I've got the wrong end of the stick, though!

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian McArdle
Unfortunately not all work requires planning permission.
A property has an inherent right to 'permitted development',
this may include, but not be limited to, a loft conversion, an
extension, a garage, etc. etc.

But permitted development rights are quite limited to the front elevation of
a property.

Christian.
We have noticed that they have started to dig out drains so they will not be under the new building so we are definitely on the right track.
The extension would affect the front elevation which is on the main road and the side elevation which is our road. My opinion is that by developing the "open space" on the corner plot results in the entrance to the road being narrowed and will affect the values of all the properties in that road. Is that grounds for complaint ? or will the council give us the brush off.

We cant complain about drains being dug out !! Yet!!
T i m

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:02:45 +0000, Ian White
wrote:

That's a very good point. The company wanting to "develop" the field out
back of us ran rings around the neighbours who objected, simply because
we were all first-timers.

Nothing illegal was done, but discretion was used in an area where
arguably it shouldn't have been... and by the time we found this out, it
was too late.

And the work that is actually going on (bulldozers, cranes etc) whilst
the planning is still (supposedly) under discussion?

And then the letter from the electricity provider apologizing for the
pending upheaval as they run a new power feed from 3 miles away ..
"this work has been planned for over 12 months .." shrug

It's not *who* you know now either .. it's how much money you
*promise* to the Borough (and then forget to pay .. the local Council
then takes you to court and that costs the local ratepayer even more
money ....) sigh

They wouldn't let me put up a 1m deep front house width 'porch' (like
the many around me) because it will 'spoil the street scene' but
allow ugly developement all around of steel framed 'sheds' (some
actually become 'D-I-Y 'sheds' and some become what would loosely be
described as 'housing' ?) that has a *far* bigger impact on the
'street scene' (and burden on the local infrastructure) than anything
I proposed .. but that's 'ok' ..?

Hmmmm

T i m

Peter Taylor

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Unfortunately not all work requires planning permission.
A property has an inherent right to 'permitted development',
this may include, but not be limited to, a loft conversion, an
extension, a garage, etc. etc.

But permitted development rights are quite limited to the front elevation
of
a property.

Christian.

I'll _respectfully_ suggest that you don't know what
you're talking about. The 'front elevation' essentially can't
be changed without 'planning permission'

I don't think there was any need for this, particularly when you haven't got
the facts straight yourself.

There is no mention of "Front Elevation" in the legislation. What it
actually says is this:

Class A Permitted development: The enlargement, improvement or other
alteration of a dwellinghouse.
Development not permitted:
A.1 Development is not permitted by Class A if-
snip
(c) the part of the building enlarged, improved or altered would be nearer
to any highway which bounds the curtilage of the dwellinghouse than-
(i) the part of the original dwellinghouse nearest to that highway, or
(ii) any point 20 metres from that highway,
whichever is nearer to the highway;

In other words, you are allowed to extend an elevation facing a highway
under Permitted Development as long as you do not intend building any closer
than 20 metres from the highway. And even if you are closer than 20m, you
are still allowed to, say, infill a recess, as long as you don't encroach
toward the highway any closer than the existing building.

Also, as Simon mentioned, you are allowed under Class D to add a porch to
the front of a building as long as it is not greater than 3 sq m floor area,
no higher than 3m from ground level and not closer than 2m to any boundary
with a highway.

If you want to read the actual legislation it is he
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19950418_en_4.htm

I would add that if anyone intends carrying out work that they feel comes
under the GDO, they would be very wise to obtain confirmation of this in
writing from the Local Authority Planning Department before starting and
ideally obtain a "Certificate of Lawful Development". This will prevent any
arguments with neighbours and also any difficulty with conveyancing when the
time comes to sell.

Peter

John Cartmell

In article ,
Peter Taylor wrote:
And even if you are closer than 20m, you
are still allowed to, say, infill a recess, as long as you don't encroach
toward the highway any closer than the existing building.

Also, as Simon mentioned, you are allowed under Class D to add a porch to
the front of a building as long as it is not greater than 3 sq m floor area,
no higher than 3m from ground level and not closer than 2m to any boundary
with a highway.

Is the 3 sq m porch in addition to infilling a recess if they end up being one
continuous area?

Ian White

T i m wrote:

That's a very good point. The company wanting to "develop" the field out
back of us ran rings around the neighbours who objected, simply because
we were all first-timers.

Nothing illegal was done, but discretion was used in an area where
arguably it shouldn't have been... and by the time we found this out, it
was too late.

And the work that is actually going on (bulldozers, cranes etc) whilst
the planning is still (supposedly) under discussion?

In our case they played that part straight. The only digging that was
done was in support of the archaeology. We did think of "salting" the
site with a few choice remains, but decided that an invasion by Time
Team would have been worse than the houses.

--
Ian White
Peter Taylor

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article ,
Peter Taylor wrote:
And even if you are closer than 20m, you
are still allowed to, say, infill a recess, as long as you don't encroach
toward the highway any closer than the existing building.

Also, as Simon mentioned, you are allowed under Class D to add a porch to
the front of a building as long as it is not greater than 3 sq m floor
area,
no higher than 3m from ground level and not closer than 2m to any
boundary
with a highway.

Is the 3 sq m porch in addition to infilling a recess if they end up being
one
continuous area?

Yes, you could do both as long as all the other considerations are
satisfied. The infill wouldn't be just an infill if it projected out from
the existing building, so if it's within 20m of the highway it wouldn't be
classed as "Permitted" under the GDO. Also the combined volume of the porch
plus the infill (plus any previous extensions) would still need to be within
the specified limits. These were part of the text I snipped, as follows:

Development is not permitted under the GDO if:

(a) the cubic content of the resulting building would exceed the cubic
content of the original dwellinghouse-
(i) in the case of a terrace house or in the case of a dwellinghouse on
article 1(5) land, by more than 50 cubic metres or 10 %,
whichever is the greater,
(ii) in any other case, by more than 70 cubic metres or 15%, whichever
is the greater,
(iii) in any case, by more than 115 cubic metres;

Even though proposals my not be "Permitted" under the GDO, that doesn't mean
you won't get Planning Permission if you apply. The Council will judge the
proposals against their adopted planning policies in the Local Plan, which
you can normally find in the Planning section of their website.

And please don't ask me what article 1(5) land is. I'd hazard a guess at Dr
Drivel's garden

Peter

sPoNiX

wrote:

| We have discovered that a house at the end of our road (the corner plot)
| has been bought by a local counciller. We also know in the past they
| have used their contacts in the council to get round the planning laws
| which apply to Joe public so we are concerned that an extension is
| about to be built and will detract from our road frontage and devalue
| all the properties in our road.
| What options do we have to prevent building going ahead on the basis
| that Travellers and the like have regularly obtained retrospective
| planning.
| We are determined to catch this early as we reckon that once work
| starts they will get away with it!
|
| Not strictly a DIY subject but a guess many on this board will have
| come across planning issues??
|
| Thanks for any ideas.

All planning applications are advertised, in outline, on little yellow
boards, which tell you to go to the planning department to see full
details, you have ??? days to object. I have done this and it works fine.
Keep your eyes open.

Round our way they are small green posters attached to the 'nearest'
lamp post or telegraph pole.

Often these get moved to poles/posts further down the road, the
opposite side of the road or removed altogether!

sponix

Peter Taylor

wrote:

| We have discovered that a house at the end of our road (the corner plot)
| has been bought by a local counciller. We also know in the past they
| have used their contacts in the council to get round the planning laws
| which apply to Joe public so we are concerned that an extension is
| about to be built and will detract from our road frontage and devalue
| all the properties in our road.
| What options do we have to prevent building going ahead on the basis
| that Travellers and the like have regularly obtained retrospective
| planning.
| We are determined to catch this early as we reckon that once work
| starts they will get away with it!
|
| Not strictly a DIY subject but a guess many on this board will have
| come across planning issues??
|
| Thanks for any ideas.

All planning applications are advertised, in outline, on little yellow
boards, which tell you to go to the planning department to see full
details, you have ??? days to object. I have done this and it works
fine.
Keep your eyes open.

Round our way they are small green posters attached to the 'nearest'
lamp post or telegraph pole.

Often these get moved to poles/posts further down the road, the
opposite side of the road or removed altogether!

The Govt are pushing all councils to go electronic ASAP and link up with
their "Planning Portal". Soon you'll be able to see all applications on
line, including drawings, forms and (I think) representations and letters.
You'll soon be able to submit Planning Applications
on-line and also make representations about other applications.

Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:34:26 GMT, (sPoNiX) wrote:

| On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:46:13 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:14:38 +0000, freddyuk
| wrote:

| |
| | We have discovered that a house at the end of our road (the corner plot)
| | has been bought by a local counciller. We also know in the past they
| | have used their contacts in the council to get round the planning laws
| | which apply to Joe public so we are concerned that an extension is
| | about to be built and will detract from our road frontage and devalue
| | all the properties in our road.
| | What options do we have to prevent building going ahead on the basis
| | that Travellers and the like have regularly obtained retrospective
| | planning.
| | We are determined to catch this early as we reckon that once work
| | starts they will get away with it!
| |
| | Not strictly a DIY subject but a guess many on this board will have
| | come across planning issues??
| |
| | Thanks for any ideas.
|
| All planning applications are advertised, in outline, on little yellow
| boards, which tell you to go to the planning department to see full
| details, you have ??? days to object. I have done this and it works fine.
| Keep your eyes open.
|
| Round our way they are small green posters attached to the 'nearest'
| lamp post or telegraph pole.
|
| Often these get moved to poles/posts further down the road, the
| opposite side of the road or removed altogether!

Around here they do not get moved at all. The people round you must have
no respect for the rules, apart from moving them being illegal.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Christian McArdle

Actually, both would be the "front elevation" as it were. It's any side
facing a road (and usually public footpaths).

My opinion is that by developing the "open space" on the corner plot
results in the entrance to the road being narrowed and will affect
the values of all the properties in that road.
Is that grounds for complaint ?

Don't even mention house values. Keep your mouth shut on that, or they'll
put your complaint in the bin. Road safety is one possible. Changing the
character of the area is another. You'll have more luck on the that ground
in a nice Victorian villa area than a 1960s council estate.

One possible that works in some areas is affect on parking. Some councils
publish a minimum number of off road parking spaces for certain sizes of
houses. With the house getting smaller, possibly using space originally used
for off road parking, a restriction could be invoked.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

One possible that works in some areas is affect on parking. Some councils
publish a minimum number of off road parking spaces for certain sizes of
houses. With the house getting smaller, possibly using space originally

used
for off road parking, a restriction could be invoked.

Of course I meant "the house getting bigger".

Christian.

Junior Member

Location: South Wales
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyuk
We have discovered that a house at the end of our road (the corner plot) has been bought by a local counciller. We also know in the past they have used their contacts in the council to get round the planning laws which apply to Joe public so we are concerned that an extension is about to be built and will detract from our road frontage and devalue all the properties in our road.
What options do we have to prevent building going ahead on the basis that Travellers and the like have regularly obtained retrospective planning.
We are determined to catch this early as we reckon that once work starts they will get away with it!

Not strictly a DIY subject but a guess many on this board will have come across planning issues??

Thanks for any ideas.

Freddy
Reply from Flatman
To: Freddie
about Exntension by the councillor

OK so the main thing is you do not really like the idea of this extension. To me that is hte starting pint of this whole thing. ie. how you feel. NextHow do your neighbours feel? Say ever neighbour within about 100 yards either way of the proposed exentension. Or at least within a reasonabledistance where they can see it or reasonalby feel that it detracts from thier own property in value of enjoyment of their property. Do you know? NO? Well in my exepreinece when you object to waht someone else wants it usually makes you a bit unpopular with that person. other people often are going to be with you but will not actually want to be jknown to be on your side as they wil be worried about offending their neighbour who wants to have the extension. You have to find out though and in doing so you are bound to annoy the bloke aren't you? I suggest that if you are really up for putting the mockers on his extension you need the joint backing of your neighbours. You may be surprised that some of the weird reactions you get when you knock on your neighbours doors and tell them about the extension and ask them to back you up in stopping it getting built. some will not ahve heard about it. Others will just close the door and tell they cannnot be bothered and some will dodge and say they don't like upsseting the nice man and others will belong to the same "party2 or golf club - so wantch yourself. Bottom line - you need a petition - it is just a piece of paper that says we the undersigned hereby object to Mr XX of (address)****** building an extension. and tehn find out the correct place to lodge that petition. i am sure the local palnning dept at your local concil offices will tell you very simply how to object and yes i have done it and yes the reactions at the door was well weird from otherwise very rational people ---- Good luck!

Flatman
Brian Sharrock

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
But permitted development rights are quite limited to the front
elevation

I'll _respectfully_ suggest that you don't know what
you're talking about. The 'front elevation' essentially can't
be changed without 'planning permission' - but - other things
being equal PD will permit one to add a large volume
to the rear of a house - that's _not_ "limited to the front elevation "

I think you took "limited" in the wrong sense.

I read it as you wrote it.

Perhaps if I reorder the sentence to remove the ambiguity (although the
word
"quite" actually precludes your interpretation).

No ambiguity exists because you wrote 'permitted developments
are (quite) limited to the front elevation'. The word 'quite' doesn't
change what you wrote.

"permitted development rights to the front elevation are quite limited"

Christian.

Perhaps, so as not to mislead, it would be better stated; - The front
elevation,
with minor exceptions for porches, may not be changed without
planning permission.

--

Brian

Peter Taylor

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message
Perhaps, so as not to mislead, it would be better stated; - The front
elevation,
with minor exceptions for porches, may not be changed without
planning permission.

--

Brian

Wrong again! Can't you read my previous message? Please stop spreading
misinformation.

John Anderton

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:56:24 +0000, freddyuk
wrote:

We have noticed that they have started to dig out drains so they will
not be under the new building so we are definitely on the right track.
The extension would affect the front elevation which is on the main
road and the side elevation which is our road. My opinion is that by
developing the "open space" on the corner plot results in the entrance
to the road being narrowed

Bear in mind that "the highway" also covers the side road so the 20m
rule applies. If the new building comes within 20 metres of your road
then it's not covered by permitted development.

and will affect the values of all the
properties in that road. Is that grounds for complaint ? or will the
council give us the brush off.

Yup, that's irrelevant to the planning decision so don't mention it.

We cant complain about drains being dug out !! Yet!!

Unless the drains are used by another property and become blocked as a
result of being moved I doubt you will make any headway there.

Cheers,

John
John Anderton

wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
All planning applications are advertised, in outline, on little yellow
boards, which tell you to go to the planning department to see full
details, you have ??? days to object.

Does anyone from the council check that such notices remain in place for
the period required?

Not usually (they're usually too busy)

It seems simple and effective for the applicant to
remove it as soon as it appears.

Yes

Cheers,

John

John Anderton

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:39:47 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Around here they do not get moved at all. The people round you must have
no respect for the rules, apart from moving them being illegal.

Which law do you think is being broken ?

Cheers,

John
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:15:59 GMT, John Anderton wrote:

| On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:39:47 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|

| Around here they do not get moved at all. The people round you must have
| no respect for the rules, apart from moving them being illegal.
|
| Which law do you think is being broken ?

Thy always have these things covered somewhere.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
Christian McArdle

I read it as you wrote it.

No you didn't. You can't say "quite limited to" and use it as meaning
"limited to". Your interpretation is actually gramatically incorrect. It is
understandable why you made the mistake, however.

"permitted development rights to the front elevation are quite limited"

Perhaps, so as not to mislead, it would be better stated; - The front
elevation,with minor exceptions for porches, may not be changed without
planning permission.

But that is not what I said. Indeed it is not true. Porches are not the only
exception. There are others.

Christian.

Member

[quote=Christian McArdle] I read it as you wrote it.

]
[...]

I appreciate all the feedback and helpful points raised.
To clarify where i am coming from i should say firstly it is our neighbours who have started the issue as they are next door to the development.We are next up the road.They approached the owners who when they realised the neighbours may have some objections turned nasty and refused to communicate any further. That's how we heard about it.
I know the owners of the property are involved in the Council and have done this trick before getting planning for ridiculous developments that have spoilt neighbours enjoyment of the area. eg building an 8 foot brick wall against a boundary fence and robbing the next door of its sea view. That cannot be acceptable but its hard to get the council to issue proceedings when its up as it all costs money.
This is not a personal vendetta but when you know there is a family with a habit of developing property in the area using backdoor means to build what they want it really gets me going.
I have just completed a rear extension going through all the planning process and costs involved and now i will get taxed on it. These people will do their build sell on and take the profit and leave us with a devalued property.
I take the point that value is not grounds for complaint.
If the side road is included as "highway" then we could watch that. Also parking is a nightmare as most people do not have a garage and parking outside your house causes inconvenience to the neighbour across so we just built a car standing on the front garden. This will now be taxed by John Prescott.

I am going to read the planning law above
Thanks very much
KJT KJT is offline
Junior Member

Nothing unfortunate about it.[/color]

That depends on the taste of your neighbours. I think some things should be
tightened up. Stone cladding a terraced house should have a fixed penalty
applied, such as genital mutilation and forfeiture of the property. I think
that would be proportionate.

Christian.[/quote]

Love it! But a little lacking in proportionality unless they also have to pay for full restoration and are then hung, drawn and quartered, before burial in lime pits on common land?

planning permission - council response [email protected] UK diy 10 November 8th 05 10:11 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
Planning application process - and complaint? mich UK diy 14 July 17th 04 09:46 PM
Attached Garage and Planning Permission for Change of Use Jizzy_Lizzy UK diy 13 July 3rd 04 03:09 PM
default planning permission? Brian S Gray UK diy 11 August 30th 03 06:42 PM