View Single Post
  #31   Report Post  

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyuk
We have discovered that a house at the end of our road (the corner plot) has been bought by a local counciller. We also know in the past they have used their contacts in the council to get round the planning laws which apply to Joe public so we are concerned that an extension is about to be built and will detract from our road frontage and devalue all the properties in our road.
What options do we have to prevent building going ahead on the basis that Travellers and the like have regularly obtained retrospective planning.
We are determined to catch this early as we reckon that once work starts they will get away with it!

Not strictly a DIY subject but a guess many on this board will have come across planning issues??

Thanks for any ideas.

Freddy
Reply from Flatman
To: Freddie
about Exntension by the councillor

OK so the main thing is you do not really like the idea of this extension. To me that is hte starting pint of this whole thing. ie. how you feel. NextHow do your neighbours feel? Say ever neighbour within about 100 yards either way of the proposed exentension. Or at least within a reasonabledistance where they can see it or reasonalby feel that it detracts from thier own property in value of enjoyment of their property. Do you know? NO? Well in my exepreinece when you object to waht someone else wants it usually makes you a bit unpopular with that person. other people often are going to be with you but will not actually want to be jknown to be on your side as they wil be worried about offending their neighbour who wants to have the extension. You have to find out though and in doing so you are bound to annoy the bloke aren't you? I suggest that if you are really up for putting the mockers on his extension you need the joint backing of your neighbours. You may be surprised that some of the weird reactions you get when you knock on your neighbours doors and tell them about the extension and ask them to back you up in stopping it getting built. some will not ahve heard about it. Others will just close the door and tell they cannnot be bothered and some will dodge and say they don't like upsseting the nice man and others will belong to the same "party2 or golf club - so wantch yourself. Bottom line - you need a petition - it is just a piece of paper that says we the undersigned hereby object to Mr XX of (address)****** building an extension. and tehn find out the correct place to lodge that petition. i am sure the local palnning dept at your local concil offices will tell you very simply how to object and yes i have done it and yes the reactions at the door was well weird from otherwise very rational people ---- Good luck!

Flatman