View Single Post
  #39   Report Post  

[quote=Christian McArdle] I read it as you wrote it.

]
Actually, both would be the "front elevation" as it were. It's any side
facing a road (and usually public footpaths).

My opinion is that by developing the "open space" on the corner plot
results in the entrance to the road being narrowed and will affect
the values of all the properties in that road.
Is that grounds for complaint ?

Don't even mention house values. Keep your mouth shut on that, or they'll
put your complaint in the bin. Road safety is one possible. Changing the
character of the area is another. You'll have more luck on the that ground
in a nice Victorian villa area than a 1960s council estate.

One possible that works in some areas is affect on parking. Some councils
publish a minimum number of off road parking spaces for certain sizes of
houses. With the house getting smaller, possibly using space originally used
for off road parking, a restriction could be invoked.

I appreciate all the feedback and helpful points raised.
To clarify where i am coming from i should say firstly it is our neighbours who have started the issue as they are next door to the development.We are next up the road.They approached the owners who when they realised the neighbours may have some objections turned nasty and refused to communicate any further. That's how we heard about it.
I know the owners of the property are involved in the Council and have done this trick before getting planning for ridiculous developments that have spoilt neighbours enjoyment of the area. eg building an 8 foot brick wall against a boundary fence and robbing the next door of its sea view. That cannot be acceptable but its hard to get the council to issue proceedings when its up as it all costs money.
This is not a personal vendetta but when you know there is a family with a habit of developing property in the area using backdoor means to build what they want it really gets me going.
I have just completed a rear extension going through all the planning process and costs involved and now i will get taxed on it. These people will do their build sell on and take the profit and leave us with a devalued property.
I take the point that value is not grounds for complaint.
If the side road is included as "highway" then we could watch that. Also parking is a nightmare as most people do not have a garage and parking outside your house causes inconvenience to the neighbour across so we just built a car standing on the front garden. This will now be taxed by John Prescott.

I am going to read the planning law above
Thanks very much