Peter Taylor

Default Council "insiders" and planning permission

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article ,
Peter Taylor wrote:
And even if you are closer than 20m, you
are still allowed to, say, infill a recess, as long as you don't encroach
toward the highway any closer than the existing building.

Also, as Simon mentioned, you are allowed under Class D to add a porch to
the front of a building as long as it is not greater than 3 sq m floor
area,
no higher than 3m from ground level and not closer than 2m to any
boundary
with a highway.

Is the 3 sq m porch in addition to infilling a recess if they end up being
one
continuous area?

Yes, you could do both as long as all the other considerations are
satisfied. The infill wouldn't be just an infill if it projected out from
the existing building, so if it's within 20m of the highway it wouldn't be
classed as "Permitted" under the GDO. Also the combined volume of the porch
plus the infill (plus any previous extensions) would still need to be within
the specified limits. These were part of the text I snipped, as follows:

Development is not permitted under the GDO if:

(a) the cubic content of the resulting building would exceed the cubic
content of the original dwellinghouse-
(i) in the case of a terrace house or in the case of a dwellinghouse on
article 1(5) land, by more than 50 cubic metres or 10 %,
whichever is the greater,
(ii) in any other case, by more than 70 cubic metres or 15%, whichever
is the greater,
(iii) in any case, by more than 115 cubic metres;

Even though proposals my not be "Permitted" under the GDO, that doesn't mean
you won't get Planning Permission if you apply. The Council will judge the
proposals against their adopted planning policies in the Local Plan, which
you can normally find in the Planning section of their website.

And please don't ask me what article 1(5) land is. I'd hazard a guess at Dr
Drivel's garden

Peter