David Pearson

Default Good, strong gloves, but not leather?

G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks,
Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable.
Although opinions differ on this.

Cicero

"David Pearson" wrote in message
G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks,
Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable.
Although opinions differ on this.

===================
Look in B&Q, Focus etc. for bright yellow / orange gloves. They're
rubberised cotton (I think!) and more durable than most gloves. Good for
rough work but not particularly good where a sensitive touch is needed.

Cic.

Rusty

"Cicero" wrote in message

"David Pearson" wrote in message
G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks,
Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable.
Although opinions differ on this.

===================
Look in B&Q, Focus etc. for bright yellow / orange gloves. They're
rubberised cotton (I think!) and more durable than most gloves. Good for
rough work but not particularly good where a sensitive touch is needed.

I think the sheds charge an arm and leg (well another arm anyway) for these,
as a profit leader. You get virtually the same gloves for 50p at a DIY
stall at a Saturday market that would cost £3 in the high street.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Cicero" writes:
Look in B&Q, Focus etc. for bright yellow / orange gloves. They're
rubberised cotton (I think!) and more durable than most gloves. Good for
rough work but not particularly good where a sensitive touch is needed.

I was wearing some whilst using the angle grinder to cut roofing
tiles. I did accidently touch the cutting disc at one point and
they protected me from that (leather would have been better
protection against a more serious attempt at cutting a finger
off). They end up full of sweat though, as they can't breath,
and they take ages to dry out.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Colin Wilson

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather?
P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian

You could always be practical - the animal is dead, and by refusing to
use leather made from its hide ensures it at least partially died in
vain :-}

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****

John Cartmell

In article ,
David Pearson wrote:
G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks,
Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable.
Although opinions differ on this.

You could check with the Vegetarian Society. They may have appropriate
companies who have registered with them to use their 'Seedling Symbol'. Even
if not they're likely to have someone who knows the answer to your question.

www.vegsoc.org
0161 925 2000

NB Don't put a uk at the end of org; that's someone else.

James Salisbury

"David Pearson" wrote in message
G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks,
Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable.
Although opinions differ on this.

Arco do a kevlar lined pvc dipped glove...

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 10:12:22 +0000 (UTC), "David Pearson"
wrote:

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather?

Yes, they're either very cheap or very expensive.

You can find orange knit "gripper" gloves with rubbery "strings" across
them cheaply at any market tool stall. These are great - hard wearing
for handling bricks and masonry and well ventilated for working hard.
They're useless for waterproofing or garden waste though as things catch
on the surface.

Next step up is PVC gloves from a typical toolshop. These are waterproof
(depending on cuff length) and if you get the heavyweight ones, then
they're good for bramble-clearing too. However you'll swat like a pig
in them. If you can be bothered, taking a hole punch to the backs and
ventilating them a bit can help a lot - use a hole punch, because sharp
skewer holes will tear.

Then you're off to Arco (real industrial supplier, on the web too) and
spending serious money. They have _lots_ of gloves and you can "mis use"
some sorts for other purposes.

Hydrogen peroxide handling gloves are vegetarian (they must avoid
anything flammable when doused in a powerful oxidiser) and practically
bombproof, but you have to find them mil-surplus to be affordable.

I still haven't found non-leather welding gloves though, either cheap
tough gauntlets, or flexible kid gloves for delicate TIG welding (I use
Luftwaffe officer's uniform gloves)

John Rumm

David Pearson wrote:

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

There are a few options, but they are not direct replacements as such.
Kevlar as others have said is close. Nitrile dipped cotton are good for
anything wet, and offer quite good resistance to puncture. The woven
handling gloves can also be very good for some tasks. These are coated
with a mesh of latex ribs and give them massive grip on flat heavy
usually difficult to grip things like sheets of MDF, chip or
plasterboard. For delicate tasks (painting, plumbing, car washing) then
latex examination gloves are very good for slight hand protection but
also keeping them clean. Finally for protection from dangerous sharp
edges you can also get chainmail gloves.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

... flexible kid gloves for delicate TIG welding (I use
Luftwaffe officer's uniform gloves)

Beekeepers' gloves. Come with thick cotton 'sleeves' to protect well up the
arm from sparks too.

But not very good for brambles and roses, holly, thistles, hawthorne,
blackthorn, pyracantha and the rest of the very prickly stuff in our garden
:-(

For dealing with those I use the green rippled plastic palmed gloves which
are univesally available. Yes, I sweat inside a bit but keep taking them off
and also have a second pair to hand.

As it were.

After use I sprinkle their insides with talc.

Mary

John Cartmell

In article ,
Huge wrote:
"David Pearson" writes:
G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks,
Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable.
Although opinions differ on this.

I have no answer to your question, but I commend you on your quest. I know
numbers of people who describe themselves as vegetarian, but are no such
thing; what they mean is that they do not eat red meat.

Pescivores? ;-)

Before they ran the recent "Can you keep it up for a week?" campaign the
VegSoc were handing out reminder cards for restaurants saying that, if it had
a face, it shouldn't be served to vegetarians. Too many so-called professional
caterers think that a tuna salad is a good vegetarian option - and very few
appreciate the minefield in the sweet course. ;-(

Linking back to relevance to DIY - just because someone is paid to do a job
doesn't mean that they automatically do it better than amateurs.

David Pearson

"David Pearson" wrote Are there any
general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks everyone, for all this info.

One thing concerns me about the orange woven gloves
with rubbery webbing on them. If a piece got itself attached
to a moving power tool, I worry that nasty things could
happen. One poster (Andrew Gabriel) had one interact
with his angle grinder and nothing bad happened, but
can anyone else give me such good news about these
things? (Or the opposite, if they have any fingers left to
type with!?).

The coated kevlar sounds good for really hand-
damaging jobs.

As for the ethics of using bits of dead cow, I refuse to be drawn.
Especially on a DIY newsgroup!

Moooo...
-D. Pearson

John Cartmell

In article ,
David Pearson wrote:
As for the ethics of using bits of dead cow, I refuse to be drawn.
Especially on a DIY newsgroup!

I think the problem is more with breeding the cow for killing rather than
using bits of an already dead cow. Taking DIY to a theoretical extreme maybe
we shouldn't be asking people to do what we wouldn't do ourselves - and lots
would be reasonably reluctant to kill other animals.

Mary Fisher

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article ,
David Pearson wrote:
As for the ethics of using bits of dead cow, I refuse to be drawn.
Especially on a DIY newsgroup!

I think the problem is more with breeding the cow for killing rather than
using bits of an already dead cow. Taking DIY to a theoretical extreme
maybe
we shouldn't be asking people to do what we wouldn't do ourselves - and
lots
would be reasonably reluctant to kill other animals.

The trouble with killing a cow in UK is that we're not allowed to do it
ourselves whether we wanted to or not. I'd be happy to do it with a cow or
bullock I knew.

Mary

Ian Stirling

John Cartmell wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:
"David Pearson" writes:
G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks,
Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable.
Although opinions differ on this.

Before they ran the recent "Can you keep it up for a week?" campaign the
VegSoc were handing out reminder cards for restaurants saying that, if it had
a face, it shouldn't be served to vegetarians. Too many so-called professional
caterers think that a tuna salad is a good vegetarian option - and very few
appreciate the minefield in the sweet course. ;-(

Hmm. Worms don't have faces.
Mary Fisher

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable.
Although opinions differ on this.

Before they ran the recent "Can you keep it up for a week?" campaign the
VegSoc were handing out reminder cards for restaurants saying that, if it
had
a face, it shouldn't be served to vegetarians. Too many so-called
professional
caterers think that a tuna salad is a good vegetarian option - and very
few
appreciate the minefield in the sweet course. ;-(

Hmm. Worms don't have faces.

Depends what you define as a face.

Mary

John Cartmell

In article , Ian
Stirling wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:
"David Pearson" writes:
G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same job as leather
ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your hands safe during DIY and
garden work?

Thanks, Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable. Although
opinions differ on this.

Before they ran the recent "Can you keep it up for a week?" campaign the
VegSoc were handing out reminder cards for restaurants saying that, if it
had a face, it shouldn't be served to vegetarians. Too many so-called
professional caterers think that a tuna salad is a good vegetarian option
- and very few appreciate the minefield in the sweet course. ;-(

Hmm. Worms don't have faces.

As far as I'm aware there aren't too many restaurants trying to serve worms -
at least not with their customers' agreement. You do get restaurants (and,
more problematically, caterers) offering fish as a vegetarian option.
Frequently it's the *only* 'vegetarian' option.

Mary Fisher

"John Cartmell" wrote in message

As far as I'm aware there aren't too many restaurants trying to serve
worms -
at least not with their customers' agreement. You do get restaurants (and,
more problematically, caterers) offering fish as a vegetarian option.
Frequently it's the *only* 'vegetarian' option.

Or something cheesy.

When we didn't eat meat and went to restaurants I just asked for the main
meal without the meat. They still said they had 'vegetarian options' but I
declined.

Mary

Tim

In article ,
says...
Or something cheesy.

"Vegetarian" (without further explanation) does not preclude eating
cheese.

--
Tim

Séan Connolly

"Vegetarian" (without further explanation) does not preclude eating
cheese.

It does if it has animal renet in it...

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

"John Cartmell" wrote in message

As far as I'm aware there aren't too many restaurants trying to serve
worms -
at least not with their customers' agreement. You do get restaurants
(and,
more problematically, caterers) offering fish as a vegetarian option.
Frequently it's the *only* 'vegetarian' option.

Or something cheesy.

Not always vegetarian!

I know, it rarely is, but the restaurants either don't know that or don't
say anything about it.

When we didn't eat meat and went to restaurants I just asked for the main
meal without the meat. They still said they had 'vegetarian options' but
declined.

Try that and forget the gravy and the fat. ;-(

Of course.

We very rarely eat out thesedays although we eat lots of meat at home. In
fact there's only one place we're prepared to go, one we trust.

Mary

Mr Fizzion

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 17:23:50 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

The trouble with killing a cow in UK is that we're not allowed to do it
ourselves whether we wanted to or not. I'd be happy to do it with a cow or
bullock I knew.

Are you sure about that? I thought you could kill your own cow for
your own consumption. A farmer I know in the new forest kills his own
pigs for his own use.

He also sells pork and pork sausages from his farm for which he uses
his own pigs that have been sent to an abbatoir 100 miles away and
then sent back. (Seems like a real waste of a journey).

Mr F.

Mr Fizzion

wrote:

G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks,
Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable.
Although opinions differ on this.

As John Rumm pointed out you can get chainmail gloves. I have seen
these in use by chefs in oyster restaurants. I wouldn't want to work
near any electrical installation while wearing these, however,
especially something capable of supplying a high current like a car
battery...you'd fry your hands off!

Mr F.

Chris Bacon

David Pearson wrote:

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Go to Wilkinsons and buy a few pairs of "canvas" gloves
at 99p/pr.
Mary Fisher

"John Cartmell" wrote in message

"Vegetarian" (without further explanation) does not preclude eating
cheese.

Anyone that eats anything made with the milk of X ought to be prepared to
eat the meat of X as well. You don't get cows' milk without calves, and
the
male calves won't grow up to produce milk. If you drink cow's milk or
eat
cheese made with cows' milk, you're implicitly condoning the slaughter of
young male cattle for food, so you might as well eat the beef that
results.

That's a separate matter and is an argument that divides vegetarians from
vegans. Some people regard being a vegetarian as just one step they can
take
in a particular direction. Others regard meat reduction in their diet as a
step towards being a vegetarian. Saying you must make an all or nothing
choice
immediately is an argument well-used by the meat industry to attempt to
turn
people away from reform of their diet. There is no such requirement
whether
your reform is for health or moral reasons and most reasonable religious
prohibitions expect the occasional lapse.

Indeed. There are very many degrees and several reasons for choosing one's
diet.

Mary

Sam Nelson

In article ,
John Cartmell writes:
In article ,
Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
Tim writes:
In article ,
says...
Or something cheesy.

"Vegetarian" (without further explanation) does not preclude eating
cheese.

Anyone that eats anything made with the milk of X ought to be prepared to
eat the meat of X as well. You don't get cows' milk without calves, and the
male calves won't grow up to produce milk. If you drink cow's milk or eat
cheese made with cows' milk, you're implicitly condoning the slaughter of
young male cattle for food, so you might as well eat the beef that results.

That's a separate matter and is an argument that divides vegetarians from
vegans.

Not quite. As far as I can tell, a fair number of vegetarians are that
because they don't want animals killed to feed them. That doesn't preclude
using `non-lethal' animal products---eggs, for example. My point is that
dairy products are indirectly lethal to male cattle.

Some people regard being a vegetarian as just one step they can take
in a particular direction. Others regard meat reduction in their diet as a
step towards being a vegetarian. Saying you must make an all or nothing choice
immediately is an argument well-used by the meat industry to attempt to turn
people away from reform of their diet.

All or nothing? Absolutely not. But as long as there are people drinking
cows' milk, there'll be an excess of male cattle around for no useful reason
other than to kill for beef.

There is no such requirement whether
your reform is for health or moral reasons and most reasonable religious
prohibitions expect the occasional lapse.

There wasn't the slightest hint of any religious connection in what I wrote
above, nor any intention for there to be such.
--
SAm.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

The trouble with killing a cow in UK is that we're not allowed to do it
ourselves whether we wanted to or not. I'd be happy to do it with a cow or
bullock I knew.

Are you sure about that? I thought you could kill your own cow for
your own consumption. A farmer I know in the new forest kills his own
pigs for his own use.

Our daughter has to take her animls to the slaughterhouse to be killed.
She's allowed to butcher the carcase for her own consumption.

He also sells pork and pork sausages from his farm for which he uses
his own pigs that have been sent to an abbatoir 100 miles away and
then sent back. (Seems like a real waste of a journey).

It's bad on welfare grounds and on environmental ones. It doesn't even make
sense in cross infection terms, which is HMG's justification. Anyone selling
animals to Tesco, for instance, has to use the slaughterhouse decreed by
Tesco, some animals have to be ssent more than 200 miles away (BBC Radio 4
Farming Today, today).

Mary

Mr F.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

G'day.

Are there any general-purpose gloves that do the same
job as leather ones, but that are not leather? I.e keep your
hands safe during DIY and garden work?

Thanks,
Veggie DIY Bloke.

P.S. "Veggie" means I'm a vegetarian, not a vegetable.
Although opinions differ on this.

As John Rumm pointed out you can get chainmail gloves. I have seen
these in use by chefs in oyster restaurants. I wouldn't want to work
near any electrical installation while wearing these, however,
especially something capable of supplying a high current like a car
battery...you'd fry your hands off!

Mail gloves are produced for use by butchers ... :-))))))))))

Mary

Mr F.

John Cartmell

In article ,
Sam Nelson wrote:
There is no such requirement whether your reform is for health or moral
reasons and most reasonable religious prohibitions expect the occasional
lapse.

There wasn't the slightest hint of any religious connection in what I wrote
above, nor any intention for there to be such.

You didn't give any hint. I covered the three main reasons that people cite
for reduced meat eating, eating a vegetarian or vegan diet, or choosing an
even more restrictive option (eg fruitarian). Vegetarian is very much a middle
position between two extremes and far from an all or nothing choice. It's
likely close to the diet we evolved eating hence its generally beneficial
effect on health.

Mr Fizzion

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 12:20:57 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Most useanimal rennetwhich, to apurist, wouldn't be acceptable.

Depending, of course, on what degree or purist s/he is :-)

Mary

Quite a lot of beer and wine isn't vegetarian either since it is
cleared using Isinglass finings which come from the swimbladder of a
sturgeon.

Real ale on handpump invariably contains Isinglass but bottled beers
are sometimes cleared using other methods.

If you want to know if your favourite ale is vegetarian then look at
this very interesting website which contains a list of vegetarian
beers and correspondence from brewers:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint...ian_beers.html

Mr F.