kiich

Default Weird phone wiring with new flat - help needed with BT Broadband and master socket

Hi

just moved into new flat and among other things that I am looking into
such as boilers, holes in wall etc, I have now moved onto the phone
wiring.

here is the current situation - bare with me as I think this is a very
strange way of wiring - i think the previous owner did it himself...
which might be ok or it might not. i need someone to verify...

BT Line coming into lounge - i can see a black wire coming through the
wall into
lounge and at the end of that, it has

a) the Blue cable connected to another cable's (which i will come onto
later) Green cable using a plastic clear 'thing' (excuse me the
technical term but i dont know what it's called) inside this clear
block thing, i can see the BT's incoming Blue cable connected with
another phone cable's Green wire.

b) the Blue and White cable connected again with this clear plastic
thing with green + white wire of the same cable from above.

Note that none of the above is connected to any wall socket yet - it's
just been done outside.

All other wires from the BT's incoming line is not connected to
anything.

Now the cable that has green and green+white wires connected to the BT
line, this line goes to a socket that to me looks like an NTE5 - but my
NTE5 looks different from other NTE5 i find on the web.

it has the back plate which is the same - and the green and green+white
wire is screwed onto A and B of this back plate.

but the lower plate has the following:

2,3,4 ans 5 IDC
AND
another CS, CB, CA, B and A IDC ??!!

so what are these CS,CB etc for? and how do i wire the rest??

to make things more complicated, i have another socket near where the
BT main line is coming in - which has:

a)

2 - this has a green wire from another wire that seems to be going
upstairs to another extension box
3 - white + orange from the same as above that seems to be going to
upstairs to another extension box
5 - this has Blue from the same as above that seems to be going to
upstairs PLUS white+blue wire from the wire that has green and
white+green connected to BT's incoming line

confused? so am i!

total number of line = 3, incoming BT line, 1 line that goes into NTE5
and 1 line that goes upstairs

lets call BT line line X
lets call internal line that goes to back of wierd NTE5 line Y
lets call internal line that goes upstairs line Z

lets call socket that sits near my BT incoming line socket A
lets call the weird NTE 5 socket that has many IDC connectors socket B

So, to explain the big pictu

* Line X's Blue wire connected to line Y's Green in mid air, outside of
any socket
* Line X's Blue+white wire connected to line Y's Green+white in mid
air, outside of any socket
* On socket A, IDC connection bit 5 has Line Y's Blue AND Line Z's
white+blue twsited in
* On socket A, IDC connection bit 3 has Line Z's White+orange twisted
in
* On socket A, IDC connection bit 2 has Line Z's Green twisted in

* On socket B, IDC connection 2 has Line Y's White+Blue twisted in
* On socket B, IDC connection 3 has Line Y's Orange twisted in
* On socket B, IDC connection 5 has Line Y's Blue twisted in i.e. other
end of socket A's idc 5

Now - if I plug in my ADSL router directly to NTE 5's internal socket
(i.e. lower face plat completely removed and i plug in directly to the
test socket), my broad band works.

If i wire like above, and plug into the lower faceplat's phone socket,
nothing works for broad band.

I just want to know what the hell is going on with the wiring!!

sorry if the explanation is very complicated - but thats because it's
difficlult so explain!!

might be easier to attach an image - can i do this in google Group??
thanks

Martin Bonner

kiich wrote:
might be easier to attach an image

MUCH!
- can i do this in google Group??

No. You can either construct something in ASCII art, or find a bit of
webspace somewhere (your ISP probably supplies a few Meg for free),
upload the image there, and then post a link.

(Sorry this isn't actually a reply to your question!)

kiich

Hi again

If it helps, I've found out what my weird NTE5 was

it's "BT NTE5 Master Socket with Digital Access Adaptor Plate" and it
looks just like this URL:
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/NTE5_dig_rear.jpg

so how do i wire one of these then?

kiich

hi again

actually, its not EXACTLY like the one on that URL - it has all the
stuff the plat of the image PLUS a BT plug that plugs into the "test"
socket on the NTE5 backplate

the more i research, the more it sounds this used to be for the BT Home
Highway??
hope that helps
Kiichi

Matt

"kiich" wrote:

another CS, CB, CA, B and A IDC ??!!

so what are these CS,CB etc for? and how do i wire the rest??

Just link CA to A and CB to B

Then wire out to all your sockets as per normal

Peter Parry

On 25 Aug 2005 06:24:34 -0700, "kiich" wrote:

BT Line coming into lounge - i can see a black wire coming through the
wall into
lounge and at the end of that, it has

a) the Blue cable connected to another cable's (which i will come onto
later) Green cable using a plastic clear 'thing' (excuse me the
technical term but i dont know what it's called)

Commonly known as "Jelly Beans" and used to connect external wiring
to internal. The connector is filled with a thick sticky grease
which waterproofs the connection.

but the lower plate has the following:

2,3,4 ans 5 IDC
AND
another CS, CB, CA, B and A IDC ??!!

That is a digital NTE5 - part of an old Home Highway installation.

Now - if I plug in my ADSL router directly to NTE 5's internal socket
(i.e. lower face plat completely removed and i plug in directly to the
test socket), my broad band works.

If i wire like above, and plug into the lower faceplat's phone socket,
nothing works for broad band.

Change the NTE5(d) for a standard NTE5 or ask BT to do it for you.

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.
kiich

Matt wrote:
"kiich" wrote:

another CS, CB, CA, B and A IDC ??!!

so what are these CS,CB etc for? and how do i wire the rest??

Just link CA to A and CB to B

Then wire out to all your sockets as per normal

Kiichi Thanks - but what I'm confused about is - do you mean A and B
of the IDC block (i.e. the blue block where CS,CB,CA IDC connectors
are) OR the A and B of where the BT mainlines comes into this NTE5
Digital Access socket? I am assuming the A and B of the IDC block and
NOT where the 2 BT mainlines screws into... wanted to confirm.

so how would the other IDC connectors be done?
what about CS?

how would i link CA to A and CB to B? With another cable?

what I'm still confused about is how would the other IDC connectors be
wired?
i.e. 2,3,4 and 5?

John Rumm

kiich wrote:

actually, its not EXACTLY like the one on that URL - it has all the
stuff the plat of the image PLUS a BT plug that plugs into the "test"
socket on the NTE5 backplate

The NTE5 ADSL filter you link to is a customised version that has had an
extra set of IDC connectors added to allow the unfiltered ADSL signal to
be wired out of the back of the unit as well. The standard BT version
only allows the unfiltered line to emerge on the socket on the front of
it, not be continued to the rest of the house wiring.

See http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm for pictures of the BT
style ADSL whole house filter and also piccies of a standard NTE5 kaster
socket.

the more i research, the more it sounds this used to be for the BT Home
Highway??

No, very different - that would be a NTE9 ISDN box. (about 6" by 9" with
four sockets on the front, two RJ45 and two BT telephone.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

kiich wrote:

a) the Blue cable connected to another cable's (which i will come onto
later) Green cable using a plastic clear 'thing' (excuse me the

This "thing", does it look like:

http://www.internode.co.uk/images/misc/connector1.jpg
http://www.internode.co.uk/images/misc/connector2.jpg

Also have a look at order code "UY BUTT" on http://rswww.com

If so then there is a fairly good chance the wiring was done by a BT
wireman since the splice connectors (for that is what they are) shown in
the fuzzy piccies first off are BT special versions of the more generic
scotchlok parts listed by RS.

b) the Blue and White cable connected again with this clear plastic
thing with green + white wire of the same cable from above.

Note that none of the above is connected to any wall socket yet - it's
just been done outside.

They usually do it in a box of some sort, although the connectors are
filled with a silicone gel so that they are waterproof.

All other wires from the BT's incoming line is not connected to
anything.

Common enough - they will lay on more than they need to allow for future
expansion or rectifying faults. (I had a new line installed, and they
could not find a spare pair that worked - so they had to dig a trench
and lay new cable - I now have an additional 10 incoming pairs (9 unused)!)

Now the cable that has green and green+white wires connected to the BT
line, this line goes to a socket that to me looks like an NTE5 - but my
NTE5 looks different from other NTE5 i find on the web.

See my other post. Note also the older BT master sockets did not have
the split face plate.

it has the back plate which is the same - and the green and green+white
wire is screwed onto A and B of this back plate.

but the lower plate has the following:

2,3,4 ans 5 IDC
AND
another CS, CB, CA, B and A IDC ??!!

A = exchange A wire
B = exchange B wire
CA = ADSL filtered A wire
CB = ADSL filtered B wire
CS = ADSL filtered shunt (or "ring") wire.

The BT standard splitter only has the last three connections. The ADSL
nation one also allows the unfiltered exchange wire to be routed on to
other sockets (very useful)

so what are these CS,CB etc for? and how do i wire the rest??

Use the C? versions to run to any extension phone sockets that will not
be connected to a ADSL router/modem. A & B go to pins 2 and 5 on a
standard socket, S to pin 3.

to make things more complicated, i have another socket near where the
BT main line is coming in - which has:

snipped stuff I can't wrap my head roud at this time of night!

Now - if I plug in my ADSL router directly to NTE 5's internal socket
(i.e. lower face plat completely removed and i plug in directly to the
test socket), my broad band works.

As you would expect....

If i wire like above, and plug into the lower faceplat's phone socket,
nothing works for broad band.

You are probably wiring the filtered output of the master in there
somewhere.

I just want to know what the hell is going on with the wiring!!

Wire all the normal sockets with the C? lines, wire a dedicated socket
for your ADSL device from the AB lines (assuming you don't want the ADSL
devise plugged into the RJ11 on the front of the filter - in which case
ignore the A & B wires on the IDC of the filter)/

--
Cheers,

John.

Roger R

"Peter Parry" wrote in message

a) the Blue cable connected to another cable's (which i will come

onto
later) Green cable using a plastic clear 'thing' (excuse me the
technical term but i dont know what it's called)

Commonly known as "Jelly Beans" and used to connect external wiring
to internal. The connector is filled with a thick sticky grease
which waterproofs the connection.

Any known supplier of these jelly bean wire splices?
I mean the exact same thing not the RS scotchlocks.

Can anyone confirm that real thing (BT 8A ?) has entries for three
wires, rather than the two wire versions at RS or elsewhere.

Roger

Matt

John Rumm wrote:

kiich wrote:

[...]

Yes, but the description he provided is exactly like the NTE5
frontplate used for home highway, remove the HH box and you cannot
simply reuse the NTE5 "digital access" frontplate and wire extensions
from there in the usual way. It needs the CA-A and CB-B terminals
linking.

Matt

"kiich" wrote:

Matt wrote:
"kiich" wrote:

another CS, CB, CA, B and A IDC ??!!

so what are these CS,CB etc for? and how do i wire the rest??

Just link CA to A and CB to B

Then wire out to all your sockets as per normal

Kiichi Thanks - but what I'm confused about is - do you mean A and B
of the IDC block (i.e. the blue block where CS,CB,CA IDC connectors
are) OR the A and B of where the BT mainlines comes into this NTE5
Digital Access socket? I am assuming the A and B of the IDC block and
NOT where the 2 BT mainlines screws into... wanted to confirm.

so how would the other IDC connectors be done?
what about CS?

how would i link CA to A and CB to B? With another cable?

what I'm still confused about is how would the other IDC connectors be
wired?
i.e. 2,3,4 and 5?

Basically you ought to get BT to regularise your installation as its
non compliant

But if you want to do it yourself (it will still be non compliant but
at least you can disconnect premises wiring for testing)

2 cores from BT come into the NTE5

connect them to a and b in the base of the NTE5

On the frontplate of the NTE5 connect from a to ca and b to cb

Connect all extensions to 2345 on the NTE5 frontplate

If the second socket next to your NTE5 is a master then you ought to
convert it to a secondary

OR just get a new NTE5, and wire it in the conventional manner (you
can then miss the bit about a-ca and b-cb loops)

John Rumm

Matt wrote:

Yes, but the description he provided is exactly like the NTE5
frontplate used for home highway, remove the HH box and you cannot
simply reuse the NTE5 "digital access" frontplate and wire extensions
from there in the usual way. It needs the CA-A and CB-B terminals
linking.

Yes you are right... my thinking was however that if there is no
matching NTE9, then the "digital" NTE5 would usually be gone as well
(since when you cancel the ISDN / Home Highway (robery) contract they
come and collect the bits normally and stick the phone socket back how
it was). (that and the OP did link to the ADSL nation version of the socket)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Roger R wrote:

Any known supplier of these jelly bean wire splices?
I mean the exact same thing not the RS scotchlocks.

I never found any when looking, however the RS version does perform in
*exactly* the same way. The main difference is the yellow cap. (Note
these should not be confused with the automotive style scotchlok
connectors most places sell as these do not have the gloopy filling).

Can anyone confirm that real thing (BT 8A ?) has entries for three
wires, rather than the two wire versions at RS or elsewhere.

The BT one I pictured only has entry for two (like the "UY BUTT" product
on RS. I presume however they also have a splice version for
applications where it is required.

3M also do a splice version (RS stock code 467-7014), that will allow
you to tap into an existing wire and hence allows (in effect) the third
connection.

--
Cheers,

John.

kiich

Thanks - but more questions! (Sorry)
2 cores from BT come into the NTE5
connect them to a and b in the base of the NTE5

Yep - 2 core from BT into back plate of NTE5 digital access adaptor
plate, screwed into A and B. Note that these wires i have connected to
A and B are green and green+white. I presume i leave the rest of BT
core's wires i.e. orange, orange+white, blue, blue+white alone and
dangling?

On the frontplate of the NTE5 connect from a to ca and b to cb

So you mean connect the A of the IDC to CA of the SAME IDC?? why do i
need to do this? Same for B-CB. What about CS well?

Connect all extensions to 2345 on the NTE5 frontplate

OK - so can I use the BT core's blue and blue+white to connect to 2 and
5 and then connect the other end to my other bt extension sockets??

Sorry to be a muppet on this but the way my cable has been done just
doesn't look like what I'm used e.g. me dad's place or my mates who
only has 1 master socket.

If the second socket next to your NTE5 is a master then you ought to
convert it to a secondary

i think it used to be - as there is a capcitor and other stuff i only
find on master socket normally...

OR just get a new NTE5, and wire it in the conventional manner (you
can then miss the bit about a-ca and b-cb loops)

hmmm - am i going to get into trouble by replacing the current NTE5 as
this to me seems like acting as the "master" now?

thank

Peter Parry

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:01:38 +0100, "Roger R"
wrote:

Any known supplier of these jelly bean wire splices?

We have them, in small numbers if you want.

Can anyone confirm that real thing (BT 8A ?) has entries for three
wires, rather than the two wire versions at RS or elsewhere.

The Cable Connector 8A is for in-line joining of wires and has entry
for only two conductors.

--
Peter Parry WPP Ltd http://www.wpp.ltd.uk
Antenna solutions for car, caravan, house, office, boat and tent.
Fixed Telephone wiring guide at :-
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html
kiich

Hi

That is a digital NTE5 - part of an old Home Highway installation

Thanks for confirming - but why would that make my BT broadband not
work when I wire everything as i described earlier in the post??

Change the NTE5(d) for a standard NTE5 or ask BT to do it for you.

well i took your advice and rang BT - they quoted me =A3145 minimum
charge for them to come on site, take the NTE5(d) out and put a normal
NTE5 back in and wire back to normal!!! Is this reasonable??? surely
not??

How much does NTE5 cost anyways?

I was reaslly disappointed with BT - they said no matter what the
previous owner did to the phone wiring, if I wanted them to change back
to normal, i would still be charged...

kiich

Hi

John Rumm wrote:
kiich wrote:

a) the Blue cable connected to another cable's (which i will come onto
later) Green cable using a plastic clear 'thing' (excuse me the

This "thing", does it look like:

http://www.internode.co.uk/images/misc/connector1.jpg
http://www.internode.co.uk/images/misc/connector2.jpg

Also have a look at order code "UY BUTT" on http://rswww.com

It looks like the pictures from your internode.co.uk addresss - NOT
like the one from rswww. i.e. it has no yello or blue bit.

If so then there is a fairly good chance the wiring was done by a BT
wireman since the splice connectors (for that is what they are) shown in
the fuzzy piccies first off are BT special versions of the more generic
scotchlok parts listed by RS.

ok - so does that mean I can call BT to have the wiring back to
'normal' way that I'm used to for free??

b) the Blue and White cable connected again with this clear plastic
thing with green + white wire of the same cable from above.

Note that none of the above is connected to any wall socket yet - it's
just been done outside.

They usually do it in a box of some sort, although the connectors are
filled with a silicone gel so that they are waterproof.

Sure enough, they are greesy

All other wires from the BT's incoming line is not connected to
anything.

Common enough - they will lay on more than they need to allow for future
expansion or rectifying faults. (I had a new line installed, and they
could not find a spare pair that worked - so they had to dig a trench
and lay new cable - I now have an additional 10 incoming pairs (9 unused)!)

OK - so what does that mean to my non-NTE5 master socket? This socket
now has nothing connected to it and yet my broadband still works when I
connect the router direclty to the NTE5(d)'s test socket...

so have i now got 1 master socket or 2?

it has the back plate which is the same - and the green and green+white
wire is screwed onto A and B of this back plate.

but the lower plate has the following:

2,3,4 ans 5 IDC
AND
another CS, CB, CA, B and A IDC ??!!

A = exchange A wire
B = exchange B wire
CA = ADSL filtered A wire
CB = ADSL filtered B wire
CS = ADSL filtered shunt (or "ring") wire.

So what goes where then?

so what are these CS,CB etc for? and how do i wire the rest??

Use the C? versions to run to any extension phone sockets that will not
be connected to a ADSL router/modem. A & B go to pins 2 and 5 on a
standard socket, S to pin 3.

ahah - ok then, my next question - when you say "A & B go to pins 2 and
5 on a standard socket, S to pin 3", which standard socket do you
mean??

You see, I don't have any other socket apart from this NTE5(d) now -
and from what you just told me, I must use the CA,CB and CS for any
extension phone sockets that will not be connected to a ADSL router -
well I now have nothing connect to CS,CB,CA - but what exactly do i
connect to them?

And as for A & B - which pins 2 and 5 do you mean? the 2 and 5 that is
also part of the remove-able lower part of the fron plate?

Using what cable? i ask because i couldnt find in say maplins...

I just want to know what the hell is going on with the wiring!!

Wire all the normal sockets with the C? lines, wire a dedicated socket
for your ADSL device from the AB lines (assuming you don't want the ADSL
devise plugged into the RJ11 on the front of the filter - in which case
ignore the A & B wires on the IDC of the filter)/

I have a micro-filter that came with the BT broadband package - which
has 1 normal telephone socket at 1 end and then 2 splitter - one for
ADSL and other for phone.

Looking at the back of the lower part of the NTE5(d) face plate, all
the C? lines are soldiered on to 2,3,5 at the back - is that correct?

John Rumm

kiich wrote:

It looks like the pictures from your internode.co.uk addresss - NOT
like the one from rswww. i.e. it has no yello or blue bit.

If so then there is a fairly good chance the wiring was done by a BT
wireman since the splice connectors (for that is what they are) shown in
the fuzzy piccies first off are BT special versions of the more generic
scotchlok parts listed by RS.

ok - so does that mean I can call BT to have the wiring back to
'normal' way that I'm used to for free??

No, they would probably just say "it works, if you want something else
you pay" ;-)

It does however give you some confidence that it was done that way it is
by someone who probably knew what he was doing.

OK - so what does that mean to my non-NTE5 master socket? This socket
now has nothing connected to it and yet my broadband still works when I
connect the router direclty to the NTE5(d)'s test socket...

As it would. Plug a router/modem etc into a line directly and you would
expect it to work. The filters are not required for the ADSL bit - they
are primarily there to stop the voice side of things interfering with
the data.

so have i now got 1 master socket or 2?

OK rewind a little here - there are two different likely possibilities
as to what may be going on here. Both seem to be addressed in this
thread depending on who you read ;-)

I had jumped to a conclusion that you had an ADSL filtered master
socket, others have assumed you have the remnants of a home highway
setup. I am now leaning more toward agreeing with the others, which
makes what I said before wrong - so ignore that! ;-)

ahah - ok then, my next question - when you say "A & B go to pins 2 and
5 on a standard socket, S to pin 3", which standard socket do you
mean??

OK, bit of general background: phone sockets (ignore yours for the mo!)
have 6 connections numbered 1 to 6. Generally 1 and 6 are unused and
often not even wired (many houses are wired in 4 wire cable). The pin 4
function is also archaic and not usually used. Hence the three wires
that matter go to pins 2, 3, & 5 in a domestic setup. The numbering is
printed/embossed into each socket etc. Pins 2 and 5 are basically the
two lines that come into your house (after going past a lightning
arrester in the master socket), and pin 3 is derived from one of those
two lines via a capacitor in the master socket.

Using what cable? i ask because i couldnt find in say maplins...

House wiring is usually done with 4 core non stranded stuff.

Maplin order code XR66W

I have a micro-filter that came with the BT broadband package - which
has 1 normal telephone socket at 1 end and then 2 splitter - one for
ADSL and other for phone.

Looking at the back of the lower part of the NTE5(d) face plate, all
the C? lines are soldiered on to 2,3,5 at the back - is that correct?

OK lets start again from the beginning ;-)

To start with you have:

One master phone socket (type not confirmed)
Two other sockets.
All wired up on one incoming line, and they all work (for voice anyway)
With slightly unusual wiring

You also have broadband enabled on the line, and you have a BT plug in
microfilter.

As a first step I would be inclined to regularise what you have by
sticking on a "normal" NTE5 in place of what you have, and then wiring
each of the extensions in the normal way (i.e. with pins 2, 3, and 5
connected to the same numbered pins from the master socket). The
extension wires connect to the back of the face plate on the socket such
that when you remove it to expose the internal socket you disconnect the
house extension wiring - (this is a useful diagnostic facility for when
things go wrong)

Next you will need to make sure that all of the phone sockets that you
have things plugged into, also have a filter if you want the broadband
to work correctly. The simplest way to do this (although not always the
most elegant) is with one plug in splitter per socket. Hence if you go
that route you will need another two filters.

So you end up with a new master socket, and some normalised wiring. A
microfilter plugged into each socket with only the phone side of it used
on two of them. Plus one socket with the modem connected to the ADSL
side and perhaps a phone as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Matt

"kiich" wrote:

Thanks - but more questions! (Sorry)
2 cores from BT come into the NTE5
connect them to a and b in the base of the NTE5

Yep - 2 core from BT into back plate of NTE5 digital access adaptor
plate, screwed into A and B. Note that these wires i have connected to
A and B are green and green+white. I presume i leave the rest of BT
core's wires i.e. orange, orange+white, blue, blue+white alone and
dangling?

On the frontplate of the NTE5 connect from a to ca and b to cb

So you mean connect the A of the IDC to CA of the SAME IDC?? why do i
need to do this? Same for B-CB. What about CS well?

Yes, because when Home Highway was fitted the NTE 5 frontplate
effectively interposed a wall mounted box with a whole bunch of
electronics called an NTE 9 between the rear of the NTE5 and the
frontplate socket.

Ignore CS

Connect all extensions to 2345 on the NTE5 frontplate

OK - so can I use the BT core's blue and blue+white to connect to 2 and
5 and then connect the other end to my other bt extension sockets??

Yes, but you really need a minimum of 3 cores (2,3 and 5) but you can
usually get away with 2 (2 and 5) if you have modern non bell type
phones

Sorry to be a muppet on this but the way my cable has been done just
doesn't look like what I'm used e.g. me dad's place or my mates who
only has 1 master socket.

If the second socket next to your NTE5 is a master then you ought to
convert it to a secondary

i think it used to be - as there is a capcitor and other stuff i only
find on master socket normally...

OR just get a new NTE5, and wire it in the conventional manner (you
can then miss the bit about a-ca and b-cb loops)

hmmm - am i going to get into trouble by replacing the current NTE5 as
this to me seems like acting as the "master" now?

Yes, but the "master" bit is contained in the backbox of the NTE 5
which doesn't need replacing. Doing it this way you only need the
frontplate replacing. Given the prices BT are quoting to do the job
then just do it yourself .... Two bits of wire ca-a and cb-b are a
damn sight cheaper than a new NTE 5 and will work just as well.

Matt

"kiich" wrote:

Hi

That is a digital NTE5 - part of an old Home Highway installation

Thanks for confirming - but why would that make my BT broadband not
work when I wire everything as i described earlier in the post??

Change the NTE5(d) for a standard NTE5 or ask BT to do it for you.

well i took your advice and rang BT - they quoted me £145 minimum
charge for them to come on site, take the NTE5(d) out and put a normal
NTE5 back in and wire back to normal!!! Is this reasonable??? surely
not??

How much does NTE5 cost anyways?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=TE04369&N=411

GBP3.51

But you don't really need one, just do the mods as previously detailed
and it will work.

Peter Parry

On 26 Aug 2005 15:12:17 -0700, "kiich" wrote:

How much does NTE5 cost anyways?

About a fiver. We sell them.

I was reaslly disappointed with BT - they said no matter what the
previous owner did to the phone wiring, if I wanted them to change back
to normal, i would still be charged...

Up to and including the NTE that should not be the case, if they want
to charge anyone it should be the previous owner. It is their
equipment which is causing the problem as you have an inappropriate
NTE for a standard installation, you should not be charged for
replacing it.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Roger R

"kiich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

That is a digital NTE5 - part of an old Home Highway installation

Thanks for confirming - but why would that make my BT broadband not
work when I wire everything as i described earlier in the post??

Change the NTE5(d) for a standard NTE5 or ask BT to do it for you.

well i took your advice and rang BT - they quoted me £145 minimum
charge for them to come on site, take the NTE5(d) out and put a normal
NTE5 back in and wire back to normal!!! Is this reasonable??? surely
not??

How much does NTE5 cost anyways?

I was reaslly disappointed with BT - they said no matter what the
previous owner did to the phone wiring, if I wanted them to change
back
to normal, i would still be charged...
---------------
For some reason my (OE) doesn't seem to be indenting your text for
reply, never the less...

An NTE5 costs around 5 pounds.
Note that none of those sold will have the BT symbol embossed in the
corner, so if the BT engineer has to come out he will see straight
away that its not one of theirs and you will be charged to
'regularise' it.

A charge of around 25 pounds has been quoted previously in this group,
but I cannot confirm that. Charges appear to be somewhat variable
depending on the circumstances, how much time the engineer has to
spend on the job, the attitude in the local office, and engineers
report.

Incidently my friend (Birmingham) had the BT engineer out because his
line was snap crackle and pop, and he wanted to prepare for ADSL.
The BT engineer not only flatly refused to fit a NTE5 but put in
report that made the office attempt to charge him 300 pounds for the
visit. He still has a crackly line, two old master sockets in
parallel on the one line, and no NTE5 -another disgruntled BT
customer. Why do BT treat their customers so shoddily? - because
they are virtually a monopoly. (rant over)

For the Austin Taylor NTE5 product:
Make sure you get the NTE5 Model and NOT the CTE5
http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/su...6&cacheID=ukie

For NTE5 product data, manufacturers sites:
http://shop.austin-taylor.co.uk (not all products [inc NTE5 ]
available on line)
http://www.astralux.co.uk/product.asp?id=15 (not sold retail)

Other telecomms wiring supplier:
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm

Note:
I ordered some NTE5/a units from Farnell electronics, but CTE5 units
were delivered from CPC.

With regard to having to pay to get the wiring sorted.

On the face of it you might think BT would be so pleased to get your
custom they would start you off with a new standardised installation.
However it doesn't seem to be like that.

Its more like 'you bought a property with all its advantages and
disadvantages'. (warts and all) A disadvantage in you case is the
previous occupiers telephone installation is unsuitable, and you now
require a revised installation. Why would you expect BT to pay for
that?

Roger

Roger R

wrote:

Any known supplier of these jelly bean wire splices?

We have them, in small numbers if you want.

Yes please, I would like a small quantity.

I had a look on your site but couldn't see them there so I'll contact
you directly by email.

Roger

Roger R

"Matt" wrote in message

How much does NTE5 cost anyways?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=TE04369&N=411

Are you sure about these.
I thought these were called CTE5 - having the input connectors as
three IDC terminals rather than the two screws of the NTE5 for the
thicker figure 8 wire once used as overhead distribution from poles.

Please advise if BT ever fit a CTE5 type Line Box when the wires
entering the premises are the thin type from CW1411 type cable used
for underground distribution on modern housing estates.

Roger

Matt

"Roger R" wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .

How much does NTE5 cost anyways?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=TE04369&N=411

Are you sure about these.
I thought these were called CTE5 - having the input connectors as
three IDC terminals rather than the two screws of the NTE5 for the
thicker figure 8 wire once used as overhead distribution from poles.

Please advise if BT ever fit a CTE5 type Line Box when the wires
entering the premises are the thin type from CW1411 type cable used
for underground distribution on modern housing estates.

Its listed as an NTE5 but as its got idc connections on both sides its
clearly not. The original poster only needs the faceplate anyway.

I've never seen anything but a screw terminal NTE used in domestic
premises by BT but you'll probably get a more definitive answer in
uk.telecom

John Rumm

Matt wrote:

Its listed as an NTE5 but as its got idc connections on both sides its
clearly not. The original poster only needs the faceplate anyway.

These are the screw ones (half way down the page):

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Roger R

"Matt" wrote in message
news
"Roger R" wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
.. .

How much does NTE5 cost anyways?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...SKU=TE04369&N=

411

Are you sure about these.
I thought these were called CTE5 - having the input connectors as
three IDC terminals rather than the two screws of the NTE5 for the
thicker figure 8 wire once used as overhead distribution from

poles.

Please advise if BT ever fit a CTE5 type Line Box when the wires
entering the premises are the thin type from CW1411 type cable used
for underground distribution on modern housing estates.

Its listed as an NTE5 but as its got idc connections on both sides

its
clearly not. The original poster only needs the faceplate anyway.

I've never seen anything but a screw terminal NTE used in domestic
premises by BT but you'll probably get a more definitive answer in
uk.telecom

And having looked inside the Farnell-CPC NTE5 unit there is no BT type
surge suppressor fitted. So these would be quite out of
order/unacceptable by BT for fitting as an upgrade to a line where
there is no existing BT LIne Box.

I will contact Farnell-CPC about the product which I believe is
misdescribed.
Meanwhile, best to stick to the RS - 264-8058, Austin Taylor NTE5 /A
unit.

As you point out this is for information only as the OP can get away
without one by following the previous instructions.

Roger

Peter Parry

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:08:25 +0100, "Roger R"
wrote:

And having looked inside the Farnell-CPC NTE5 unit there is no BT type
surge suppressor fitted.

There is a semiconductor surge suppressor fitted with similar
performance to the gas discharge types.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Roger R

"Peter Parry" wrote in message

There is a semiconductor surge suppressor fitted with similar
performance to the gas discharge types.

The CPC supplied units are manufactured by Pressac.

I had a look at their site -notable for its scant information- and
noticed that the semiconductor surge suppressor you describe appears
to be their standard fitting for 'voice products' instead of the old
gas discharge devices.
Illustration of LJU 2/1A so fitted.
http://www.presscomm.co.uk/products/...ic=prd-281.gif
Presumably has BT approval.

In my CPC NTE5 (CTE5) sample the semiconductor surge suppressor fitted
is manufactured by Littelfuse(Semitron) with part number has part
number T10A180E.
http://www.littelfuse.com/cgi-bin/r....9&PartID=14783

This 68K pdf covers the series, T10A, with other ratings:
http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/T10A.pdf

So it looks like the end for the old gas discharge devices?

Roger

Peter Parry

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:58:26 +0100, "Roger R"
wrote:

So it looks like the end for the old gas discharge devices?

The price (and performance) of both devices is similar so I wouldn't
be too sure :-) The advantage of the gas discharge device is it is
well known and reliable. Telecoms designers will always chose well
known over new if they can.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/