Roger R

"kiich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

That is a digital NTE5 - part of an old Home Highway installation

Thanks for confirming - but why would that make my BT broadband not
work when I wire everything as i described earlier in the post??

Change the NTE5(d) for a standard NTE5 or ask BT to do it for you.

well i took your advice and rang BT - they quoted me £145 minimum
charge for them to come on site, take the NTE5(d) out and put a normal
NTE5 back in and wire back to normal!!! Is this reasonable??? surely
not??

How much does NTE5 cost anyways?

I was reaslly disappointed with BT - they said no matter what the
previous owner did to the phone wiring, if I wanted them to change
back
to normal, i would still be charged...
---------------
For some reason my (OE) doesn't seem to be indenting your text for
reply, never the less...

An NTE5 costs around 5 pounds.
Note that none of those sold will have the BT symbol embossed in the
corner, so if the BT engineer has to come out he will see straight
away that its not one of theirs and you will be charged to
'regularise' it.

A charge of around 25 pounds has been quoted previously in this group,
but I cannot confirm that. Charges appear to be somewhat variable
depending on the circumstances, how much time the engineer has to
spend on the job, the attitude in the local office, and engineers
report.

Incidently my friend (Birmingham) had the BT engineer out because his
line was snap crackle and pop, and he wanted to prepare for ADSL.
The BT engineer not only flatly refused to fit a NTE5 but put in
report that made the office attempt to charge him 300 pounds for the
visit. He still has a crackly line, two old master sockets in
parallel on the one line, and no NTE5 -another disgruntled BT
customer. Why do BT treat their customers so shoddily? - because
they are virtually a monopoly. (rant over)

For the Austin Taylor NTE5 product:
Make sure you get the NTE5 Model and NOT the CTE5
http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/su...6&cacheID=ukie

For NTE5 product data, manufacturers sites:
http://shop.austin-taylor.co.uk (not all products [inc NTE5 ]
available on line)
http://www.astralux.co.uk/product.asp?id=15 (not sold retail)

Other telecomms wiring supplier:
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm

Note:
I ordered some NTE5/a units from Farnell electronics, but CTE5 units
were delivered from CPC.

With regard to having to pay to get the wiring sorted.

On the face of it you might think BT would be so pleased to get your
custom they would start you off with a new standardised installation.
However it doesn't seem to be like that.

Its more like 'you bought a property with all its advantages and
disadvantages'. (warts and all) A disadvantage in you case is the
previous occupiers telephone installation is unsuitable, and you now
require a revised installation. Why would you expect BT to pay for
that?

Roger