oktokie

Default phone wiring orientation question

I am having an another kind of phone line problem… I currently have a
flaky phone system where my phone’s been working | not-working. I have a
question, my phone line uses 2 wire ( blue & blue-white of 6 pair phone
line), however, does it matter which orientation blue & blue-white line
connects to the phone? (Let just say I have a two phone and one phone is
wired blue, then blue-white but the other phone is wired blue-white then
blue).
Please, let me know…Thank you in advance.

Oktokie
Ps: I’ve been living in the phone nightmare for past 3 months

Bert Byfield

I am having an another kind of phone line problem… I currently have a
flaky phone system where my phone’s been working | not-working. I have
a question, my phone line uses 2 wire ( blue & blue-white of 6 pair
phone line), however, does it matter which orientation blue &
blue-white line connects to the phone? (Let just say I have a two
phone and one phone is wired blue, then blue-white but the other phone
is wired blue-white then blue).

Probably it doesn't matter. It depends on the phone. You can check the
polarity with a Radio Shack line tester, if you have modular plugs. But
miswiring shouldn't cause intermittent problems -- sounds more like
loose connections.

Pop Rivet

"oktokie" wrote in message
t...
I am having an another kind of phone line problem… I

currently have a
flaky phone system where my phone’s been working |

not-working. I have a
question, my phone line uses 2 wire ( blue & blue-white of

6 pair phone
line), however, does it matter which orientation blue &

blue-white line
connects to the phone? (Let just say I have a two phone

and one phone is
wired blue, then blue-white but the other phone is wired

blue-white then
blue).
Please, let me know…Thank you in advance.

Oktokie
Ps: I’ve been living in the phone nightmare for past 3

months

It might but you didn't give enough info to make judgement
calls on - not even how the phone doesn't work.

Easiest thing to try is to switch the wires inside the plug
block and see if the problem changes. Have you tried
another phone there? What's your 'system'? Are you sure
the system's OK? If you know which is Tip and which is
Ring, Ring is always negative w/r to the Tip.

Pop

Chuck Yerkes

As I recall, one way rings, the other doesn't.
Both ways let you call out.

oktokie wrote:

I am having an another kind of phone line problem… I currently have a
flaky phone system where my phone’s been working | not-working. I have a
question, my phone line uses 2 wire ( blue & blue-white of 6 pair phone
line), however, does it matter which orientation blue & blue-white line
connects to the phone? (Let just say I have a two phone and one phone is
wired blue, then blue-white but the other phone is wired blue-white then
blue).
Please, let me know…Thank you in advance.

Oktokie
Ps: I’ve been living in the phone nightmare for past 3 months

And yet you don't say what the problem is.
Greg

As I recall, one way rings, the other doesn't.
Both ways let you call out.

Actually you have it backwards.
On the old touch tone phones circa Western Electric 1500/2500, if the tip and
ring were reversed the touch tone unit would not work.
The ringer and the actual talking circuits don't care.
Newer phones have a bridge on the electronics and they don't care.