Matt

"kiich" wrote:

Thanks - but more questions! (Sorry)
2 cores from BT come into the NTE5
connect them to a and b in the base of the NTE5

Yep - 2 core from BT into back plate of NTE5 digital access adaptor
plate, screwed into A and B. Note that these wires i have connected to
A and B are green and green+white. I presume i leave the rest of BT
core's wires i.e. orange, orange+white, blue, blue+white alone and
dangling?

On the frontplate of the NTE5 connect from a to ca and b to cb

So you mean connect the A of the IDC to CA of the SAME IDC?? why do i
need to do this? Same for B-CB. What about CS well?

Yes, because when Home Highway was fitted the NTE 5 frontplate
effectively interposed a wall mounted box with a whole bunch of
electronics called an NTE 9 between the rear of the NTE5 and the
frontplate socket.

Ignore CS

Connect all extensions to 2345 on the NTE5 frontplate

OK - so can I use the BT core's blue and blue+white to connect to 2 and
5 and then connect the other end to my other bt extension sockets??

Yes, but you really need a minimum of 3 cores (2,3 and 5) but you can
usually get away with 2 (2 and 5) if you have modern non bell type
phones

Sorry to be a muppet on this but the way my cable has been done just
doesn't look like what I'm used e.g. me dad's place or my mates who
only has 1 master socket.

If the second socket next to your NTE5 is a master then you ought to
convert it to a secondary

i think it used to be - as there is a capcitor and other stuff i only
find on master socket normally...

OR just get a new NTE5, and wire it in the conventional manner (you
can then miss the bit about a-ca and b-cb loops)

hmmm - am i going to get into trouble by replacing the current NTE5 as
this to me seems like acting as the "master" now?

Yes, but the "master" bit is contained in the backbox of the NTE 5
which doesn't need replacing. Doing it this way you only need the
frontplate replacing. Given the prices BT are quoting to do the job
then just do it yourself .... Two bits of wire ca-a and cb-b are a
damn sight cheaper than a new NTE 5 and will work just as well.