John Rumm

kiich wrote:

It looks like the pictures from your internode.co.uk addresss - NOT
like the one from rswww. i.e. it has no yello or blue bit.

If so then there is a fairly good chance the wiring was done by a BT
wireman since the splice connectors (for that is what they are) shown in
the fuzzy piccies first off are BT special versions of the more generic
scotchlok parts listed by RS.

ok - so does that mean I can call BT to have the wiring back to
'normal' way that I'm used to for free??

No, they would probably just say "it works, if you want something else
you pay" ;-)

It does however give you some confidence that it was done that way it is
by someone who probably knew what he was doing.

OK - so what does that mean to my non-NTE5 master socket? This socket
now has nothing connected to it and yet my broadband still works when I
connect the router direclty to the NTE5(d)'s test socket...

As it would. Plug a router/modem etc into a line directly and you would
expect it to work. The filters are not required for the ADSL bit - they
are primarily there to stop the voice side of things interfering with
the data.

so have i now got 1 master socket or 2?

OK rewind a little here - there are two different likely possibilities
as to what may be going on here. Both seem to be addressed in this
thread depending on who you read ;-)

I had jumped to a conclusion that you had an ADSL filtered master
socket, others have assumed you have the remnants of a home highway
setup. I am now leaning more toward agreeing with the others, which
makes what I said before wrong - so ignore that! ;-)

ahah - ok then, my next question - when you say "A & B go to pins 2 and
5 on a standard socket, S to pin 3", which standard socket do you
mean??

OK, bit of general background: phone sockets (ignore yours for the mo!)
have 6 connections numbered 1 to 6. Generally 1 and 6 are unused and
often not even wired (many houses are wired in 4 wire cable). The pin 4
function is also archaic and not usually used. Hence the three wires
that matter go to pins 2, 3, & 5 in a domestic setup. The numbering is
printed/embossed into each socket etc. Pins 2 and 5 are basically the
two lines that come into your house (after going past a lightning
arrester in the master socket), and pin 3 is derived from one of those
two lines via a capacitor in the master socket.

Using what cable? i ask because i couldnt find in say maplins...

House wiring is usually done with 4 core non stranded stuff.

Maplin order code XR66W

I have a micro-filter that came with the BT broadband package - which
has 1 normal telephone socket at 1 end and then 2 splitter - one for
ADSL and other for phone.

Looking at the back of the lower part of the NTE5(d) face plate, all
the C? lines are soldiered on to 2,3,5 at the back - is that correct?

OK lets start again from the beginning ;-)

To start with you have:

One master phone socket (type not confirmed)
Two other sockets.
All wired up on one incoming line, and they all work (for voice anyway)
With slightly unusual wiring

You also have broadband enabled on the line, and you have a BT plug in
microfilter.

As a first step I would be inclined to regularise what you have by
sticking on a "normal" NTE5 in place of what you have, and then wiring
each of the extensions in the normal way (i.e. with pins 2, 3, and 5
connected to the same numbered pins from the master socket). The
extension wires connect to the back of the face plate on the socket such
that when you remove it to expose the internal socket you disconnect the
house extension wiring - (this is a useful diagnostic facility for when
things go wrong)

Next you will need to make sure that all of the phone sockets that you
have things plugged into, also have a filter if you want the broadband
to work correctly. The simplest way to do this (although not always the
most elegant) is with one plug in splitter per socket. Hence if you go
that route you will need another two filters.

So you end up with a new master socket, and some normalised wiring. A
microfilter plugged into each socket with only the phone side of it used
on two of them. Plus one socket with the modem connected to the ADSL
side and perhaps a phone as well.

--
Cheers,

John.