Phil Pickett

Default Problem with wiring for new second phone line

I'm having trouble getting my 2-line phone working. It appears that I
may have a wiring problem. The phone company made the connections
outside the house. This is what I see:

A white cable with the following 6 wires is coming in:
orange (oIn)
orange/white (owIn)
blue (bIn)
blue/white (bwIn)
green (gIn)
green/white (gwIn)

In the junction box outcide the house, these connect with the 2 CAT5
cables going into the house as follows:

LINE 1:
GRN: bwIn
RED: bIn
YEL: green/White (2 CAT5) + gwIn
BLK: green (2 CAT5)

LINE 2:
GRN: blue (2 CAT5) + gIn
RED: blue/white (2 CAT5) + oIn
YEL: orange/white (2 CAT5) + owIn
BLK: empty

At the phone outlet in the house where I'd like to use the 2-line
phone, there are the following connections:

GRN: blue/white (CAT5)
RED: blue (CAT5)
YEL:
BLK:

The wires connected to what is labeled "LINE 2" on the junction box
appear to be the original "line 1" used in my house. "LINE 2" appears
to be what the phone company just connected as line 2. If I unplug
the jack in the junction box for "LINE 1", plug in a phone, then dial
my second number from my cell, that phone will ring.

I've tried connecting orange and orange/white (CAT5), and also green
and green/white (CAT5) to the phone outlet's YEL and BLK with no luck.

Does the outside connection for "LINE 1" in the junction box look ok?
The connections look quite different from what I see for working "LINE
2".

Can anyone help describe the proper connection to get my second line
working with the above description?

Thanks,

Phil
I-zheet M'drurz

Phil Pickett wrote:

I'm having trouble getting my 2-line phone working. It appears
that I may have a wiring problem. The phone company made the
connections outside the house. This is what I see:

Sorry, but after previewing this, I have to stop and ask:

Line 2 is working???? The hell you say!!! lol

A white cable with the following 6 wires is coming in:
orange (oIn)
orange/white (owIn)
blue (bIn)
blue/white (bwIn)
green (gIn)
green/white (gwIn)

OK, it sounds like that's the wire from Telco, right? If so, and
the installer wasn't on crack, the blue pair (B + B/W) should be
one incoming number, and the orange pair (O + O/W) should be your
2nd number. (You can sort out which # is which later on, ok?)

In the junction box outcide the house, these connect with the 2
CAT5 cables going into the house as follows:

LINE 1:
GRN: bwIn
RED: bIn

Those 2 make sense

YEL: green/White (2 CAT5) + gwIn
BLK: green (2 CAT5)

Those 2 do for your CAT5's but not for 1 wire from the green pair

LINE 2:
GRN: blue (2 CAT5) + gIn
RED: blue/white (2 CAT5) + oIn

Again, the input wires here make NO sense at all.

YEL: orange/white (2 CAT5) + owIn
BLK: empty

And there's the dangling mismatched lone input wire. Nuh uh.

At the phone outlet in the house where I'd like to use the
2-line phone, there are the following connections:

OK, stop and simplify, hopefully...

I'm going to assume that the two CAT5's, there is no reason
why they should be kept discreet? IOW, is this a duplex, or
would there be ANY other reason why those two CAT5's can't be
thrown in paralell right at the input?

If not - SIMPLIFY

Wire EVERYTHING the same, right at the (junction) demark box:

Input Telco Your CAT5's Test Jacks @ box

B B Red \ ****
B/W B/W Green / Number #1
O O Red \ ****
O/W O/W Green / Number #2

**** Note: Your two Test jacks at the box will NOT each see both
lines, you're setting it up so that each incoming # is on the R/G
pair of the test jack, that's the way Telco wants it, trust me.

If you do that, you can wire every jack in the house the same way:

B Red \
B/W Green / Phone # #1
O Yellow \
O/W Black / Phone # #2

And if you decide the numbers are *totally* ass backwards, just
swap the blue pair with the orange pair as they come in from
Telco.

If you decide one of your phone jacks needs to have the numbers
flip-flopped (say your modem should answer Number #2 but it is
answering Number #1) then flip the R/G pair with the Y/B pair
right at that jack.

Hope That Helps.

--
If u want the races for free,