Kate11171

Default Combi boilers

We are having trouble finding a plumber to install a combi boiler for
us. My husband is quite confident that he could do the job himself but
obviously it has to have a certificate from a CORGI registerd plumber.
Do you know if it is possible or legal for my husband to do the work
and a plumber come in and inspect it and pass it or would a plumber be
reluctant to do this?
Thanks

Set Square

Kate11171 wrote:

We are having trouble finding a plumber to install a combi boiler for
us. My husband is quite confident that he could do the job himself but
obviously it has to have a certificate from a CORGI registerd plumber.
Do you know if it is possible or legal for my husband to do the work
and a plumber come in and inspect it and pass it or would a plumber be
reluctant to do this?
Thanks

It's perfectly legal. How easy it is to get a CORGI to certify someone
else's work, I don't know. I guess that the CORGI would want to do the gas
installation and commissioning himself - leaving the physical installation
and the water side to your husband.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Doctor Evil

"Kate11171" wrote in message
oups.com...

We are having trouble finding a plumber to install a combi boiler for
us. My husband is quite confident that he could do the job himself but
obviously it has to have a certificate from a CORGI registerd plumber.
Do you know if it is possible or legal for my husband to do the work
and a plumber come in and inspect it and pass it or would a plumber be
reluctant to do this?
Thanks

If he does it himself he doesn't need to be CORGI registered. The law says
he needs to "competent. What he could do is fit the boiler, ask questions
here first, and then get a "landlords" certificate as he is thinking of
renting out. This will clear him. CORGI men do not like to check DIYers
work and this is a way around this.

How many bathroom, showers, etc? Combi's are arted on "flowrate" of hot
water, so don't undersize.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Earl Kella

"Kate11171" wrote in message
oups.com...
We are having trouble finding a plumber to install a combi boiler for
us. My husband is quite confident that he could do the job himself but
obviously it has to have a certificate from a CORGI registerd plumber.
Do you know if it is possible or legal for my husband to do the work
and a plumber come in and inspect it and pass it or would a plumber be
reluctant to do this?
Thanks

I had the same problem getting a plumber to fit ours - I wanted to do all
the plumbing and just get a corgi guy in to do the boiler.

I'm sure your husband could do this himself as it is a basically easy job as
long as you follow the regs about location etc.. I fitted my own boiler but
got a corgi guy in to connect up the gas and check it out. It has not been
officially commissioned but I have since got a landlords certificate which
shows the boiler is safe.

For your insurance you will probably need to have an installation
certificate from a corgi bloke - it's doubtful you will find one to just
come in and commission it for you.

As far as the legality goes I think you must be 'competent' to work on gas
but there is no definition of what 'competent' is. To be paid for work you
must be corgi registered, but I think there are many diy-ers in this
newsgroup who have fitted their own boilers.

Regards

Earl

Ian Stirling

Set Square wrote:
Kate11171 wrote:

We are having trouble finding a plumber to install a combi boiler for
us. My husband is quite confident that he could do the job himself but
obviously it has to have a certificate from a CORGI registerd plumber.
Do you know if it is possible or legal for my husband to do the work
and a plumber come in and inspect it and pass it or would a plumber be
reluctant to do this?
Thanks

It's perfectly legal. How easy it is to get a CORGI to certify someone
else's work, I don't know. I guess that the CORGI would want to do the gas
installation and commissioning himself - leaving the physical installation
and the water side to your husband.

There is nothing in law to say CORGI has to get involved at all.
The relevant gas legislation just says "a competant person", if it's for
domestic installation, and not done for gain.
However, the insurance/mortgage/landlord/... may require CORGI testing.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Doctor Evil" writes:
How many bathroom, showers, etc? Combi's are arted on "flowrate" of hot
water, so don't undersize.

Check the minimum pressure it will work at, and the minimum
pressure your water company is intendeding to provide in the
future. Anglian Water circulated a warning with my last bill
saying that if you intend to fit a combi, it must be suitable
for working down to 0.75 bar. I presume they are planning on
following Thames Water and dropping mains pressures to meet
their leak targets.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Ed Sirett

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:18:46 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

Set Square wrote:
Kate11171 wrote:

[...]

We have had this discussion before. Whilst the term competent is open to
clarification. There is a spectrum of opinion: from those who would say
the only way to prove competance would be to have the certification that a
registered fitter has: to those who say that carefully following
every instruction in the book should be good enough together with enough
experience of general plumbing and othe skills.

The Gas Regs are clear that Landlords safety records may only be done by
registered fitters. That's the beginning and end of it IMHO.

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:16:05 +0100, Earl Kella wrote:

"Kate11171" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

As of 1/4/5 there is now a requirement to notify building control about
exchanging a boiler. This is the same restriction as Part P on the
electrics (which also are relevant if the installation is in a kitchen or
bathroom).

Most manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee if push comes to
shove unless the boiler has been commissioned by a registered fitter.

Nick Atty

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:19:26 +0100, Ed Sirett
wrote:

As of 1/4/5 there is now a requirement to notify building control about
exchanging a boiler. This is the same restriction as Part P on the
electrics (which also are relevant if the installation is in a kitchen or
bathroom).

Most manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee if push comes to
shove unless the boiler has been commissioned by a registered fitter.

But with the figures quoted here on the mark-up charged by registered
fitters, you could afford to replace your boiler 3 or 4 times for the
cost of having one fitted. This starts to make the guarantee sound
about as attractive as one of Comet's extended ones.

Nick is buying an 80 pound vacuum cleaner
Salesman: Do you want to extend the guarantee - it's only 40 pounds for
three years
Nick: Do you mean that there's a 50% chance the machine will break down
in that time? Because if so, I don't want to buy the machine, and if
not I don't want the guarantee.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Nick Atty wrote:
Nick is buying an 80 pound vacuum cleaner
Salesman: Do you want to extend the guarantee - it's only 40 pounds for
three years
Nick: Do you mean that there's a 50% chance the machine will break down
in that time? Because if so, I don't want to buy the machine, and if
not I don't want the guarantee.

Browsing round IIRC Comet, the poster on top of a Meile washing machine
extolled the virtues of its design and construction - made for at least a
10 year life. Wonder if they still try to flog 5 year warranties on these?

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Browsing round IIRC Comet, the poster on top of a Meile washing machine
extolled the virtues of its design and construction - made for at least a
10 year life. Wonder if they still try to flog 5 year warranties on these?

I would be inclined to purloin such a showcard if purchasing the machine
- could be useful evidence in a statutory rights case up to six years in
the future.

Although I though Mieles were g'teed for 10 years and designed for 20.
Maybe Comet are selling cheap ones.

Owain

Andy Hall

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:18:30 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Nick Atty wrote:
Nick is buying an 80 pound vacuum cleaner
Salesman: Do you want to extend the guarantee - it's only 40 pounds for
three years
Nick: Do you mean that there's a 50% chance the machine will break down
in that time? Because if so, I don't want to buy the machine, and if
not I don't want the guarantee.

Browsing round IIRC Comet, the poster on top of a Meile washing machine
extolled the virtues of its design and construction - made for at least a
10 year life. Wonder if they still try to flog 5 year warranties on these?

No need. It's included by the manufacturer for either 5 or 10 years
depending on model. Design life is 15 to 20 years..

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Browsing round IIRC Comet, the poster on top of a Meile washing
machine extolled the virtues of its design and construction - made for
at least a 10 year life. Wonder if they still try to flog 5 year
warranties on these?

I would be inclined to purloin such a showcard if purchasing the machine
- could be useful evidence in a statutory rights case up to six years
in the future.

Although I though Mieles were g'teed for 10 years and designed for 20.
Maybe Comet are selling cheap ones.

This was some time ago, and they didn't then have the 10 year warranty.

And it could well have said 20 years rather than 10. The little gray cells
ain't what they once were. ;-)

But I did buy one, although not from Comet, and it's great. Although my
previous el cheapo Indesit did near 20 years with some TLC once in a while.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:16:05 +0100, Earl Kella wrote:

"Kate11171" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't know
that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these people and they
looked it up. They fixed the boiler.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Most manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee if push comes to
shove unless the boiler has been commissioned by a registered fitter.

Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't know
that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these people and they
looked it up. They fixed the boiler.

So you're actually admitting to *not* being CORGI registering while
claiming to be a pro in the domestic heating field? Care to explain?

--
*"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Most manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee if push comes

shove unless the boiler has been commissioned by a registered fitter.

Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't

know
that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these people and

they
looked it up. They fixed the boiler.

So you're

Madness electic caber tossing madness.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Most manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee if push
comes to shove unless the boiler has been commissioned by a
registered fitter.

Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't
know that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these
people and they looked it up. They fixed the boiler.

So you're actually admitting to *not* being CORGI registering while
claiming to be a pro in the domestic heating field? Care to explain?

Madness electic caber tossing madness.

Snipping restored so Google readers can see how our resident fool not only
avoids the question as well as failing to answer...

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So you're actually admitting to *not* being CORGI registering while
claiming to be a pro in the domestic heating field? Care to explain?

You should know by now Dave, he does not actually *do* anything, just
talks about it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Doctor Evil

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So you're actually admitting to *not* being CORGI registering while
claiming to be a pro in the domestic heating field? Care to explain?

You should know by now Dave, he does not actually *do* anything, just
talks about it.

Says a man from Essex.

Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
Most manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee if push
comes to shove unless the boiler has been commissioned by a
registered fitter.

Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't
know that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these
people and they looked it up. They fixed the boiler.

So you're actually admitting to *not* being CORGI registering while
claiming to be a pro in the domestic heating field? Care to explain?

Madness electic caber tossing madness.

Snipping restored so Google readers can see how our resident fool not only
avoids the question as well as failing to answer...

This electric caber tossing fool is dangerous. Take no notice of what he
says. All his appliances were codemned and he just turned them back on
again. Madness!

raden

In message , Doctor Evil
writes

Most manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee if push comes to
shove unless the boiler has been commissioned by a registered fitter.

Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't know
that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these people and they
looked it up.

Did they ******** not know

They just realised it was you - a non CORGI reg'd "expert"

--
geoff
raden

Doctor Evil wrote:
Most manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee if push comes to
shove unless the boiler has been commissioned by a registered fitter.

Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't know
that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these people and they
looked it up. They fixed the boiler.

So you're actually admitting to *not* being CORGI registering while
claiming to be a pro in the domestic heating field? Care to explain?

I was going to go for the jugular on that, but then I remembered that
he'd had some previous disaster where he alluded to not being CORGI

--
geoff

raden

In message , John
Rumm writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So you're actually admitting to *not* being CORGI registering while
claiming to be a pro in the domestic heating field? Care to explain?

You should know by now Dave, he does not actually *do* anything, just
talks about it.

Ah, but he does

he's prolly already sinking in the pile of tissues on the floor

--
geoff
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Evil
writes

Most manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee if push comes to
shove unless the boiler has been commissioned by a registered fitter.

Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't know
that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these people and they
looked it up.

Did they ******** not know

Maxie, are you sure about that?

They just realised it was you - a non CORGI reg'd "expert"

And that they did.

Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Evil
writes

Doctor Evil wrote:
Most manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee if push

comes
shove unless the boiler has been commissioned by a registered

fitter.

Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't

know
that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these people and

they
looked it up. They fixed the boiler.

So you're

Madness electic caber tossing madness.

... Plumber

Maxie, are you saying this electric caber tosser is a plumber? That fits
then.

Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , John
Rumm writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So you're actually admitting to *not* being CORGI registering while
claiming to be a pro in the domestic heating field? Care to explain?

You should know by now Dave, he does not actually *do* anything, just
talks about it.

Ah, but he does

he's prolly already sinking in the pile of tissues on the floor

Maxie, you are odd in many ways. You jump up and down too.

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:11:48 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

No need. It's included by the manufacturer for either 5 or 10 years
depending on model. Design life is 15 to 20 years..

John Lewis sell Miele dishwashes and they have only a 2 year
guarantee. They say that Miele will carry spares for 20 years.

sponix

Doctor Evil

wrote:

No need. It's included by the manufacturer for either 5 or 10 years
depending on model. Design life is 15 to 20 years..

John Lewis sell Miele dishwashes and they have only a 2 year
guarantee. They say that Miele will carry spares for 20 years.

John Lewis give 2 yr guarantees on all white goods.

Christian McArdle

My husband is quite confident that he could do the job himself but
obviously it has to have a certificate from a CORGI registerd plumber.

Another alternative is to submit a building notice to the council. Ensure
that he is competent and knows his manometer from his leak detector fluid.
You can't rely on the council to pick up any disasters.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't know
that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these people and they
looked it up. They fixed the boiler.

If you didn't buy directly from Ideal, then it was you that didn't know the
law either, although it appears to have been a successful blag!

Manufacturers can put pretty well any non discriminatory restrictions on
their guarantees that they like (including registered fitting requirements),
as they have no requirement to offer a guarantee at all. It is the vendor
that your statutory rights apply to. Of course, if you bought it direct,
then they are the vendor too, and statutory rights DO apply.

Christian.

Doctor Evil

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Ideal tried that one on me. I informed them of the law. They didn't

know
that non corgi people can fit a boiler until I told these people and

they
looked it up. They fixed the boiler.

If you didn't buy directly from Ideal,
then it was you that didn't know the
law either, although it appears to
have been a successful blag!

The boiler was faulty out of the box. They came and asked if I was corgi, I
told the law, they ummed and arred and phoned back and then fixed. What
amazed me was that these corgi men actually thought only corgi can touch gas
installations.

Manufacturers can put pretty well
any non discriminatory restrictions on
their guarantees that they like
(including registered fitting requirements),
as they have no requirement to offer
a guarantee at all.

The law is the law. They can't insist on appliances being fitted by a club.
If that is their way then they should sell only through that club.

Christian McArdle

The law is the law. They can't insist on appliances being fitted by a
club.
If that is their way then they should sell only through that club.

If they didn't sell it direct to you, they have no obligation to offer any
guarantee at all, so they can do what they like.

If it is dead in the box, it is the retailer that is liable, not the
manufacturer, unless the manufacturer voluntarily decides to offer a
guarantee, which may be more restrictive than the statutory rights you have
with the retailer and may include restrictions on who fits it.

Of course, most manufacturers offer relatively unrestrictive guarantees, as
otherwise the retailers would get very annoyed at having to deal with all
the issues and may delist the products in question.

Christian.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
The boiler was faulty out of the box. They came and asked if I was
corgi, I told the law, they ummed and arred and phoned back and then
fixed. What amazed me was that these corgi men actually thought only
corgi can touch gas installations.

They probably thought it wiser not to argue with a madman?

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
The boiler was faulty out of the box. They came and asked if I was
corgi, I told the law, they ummed and arred and phoned back and then
fixed. What amazed me was that these corgi men actually thought only
corgi can touch gas installations.

They probably thought it wiser not to argue with a madman?

Do you take in lodgers?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
The boiler was faulty out of the box. They came and asked if I was
corgi, I told the law, they ummed and arred and phoned back and then
fixed. What amazed me was that these corgi men actually thought only
corgi can touch gas installations.

They probably thought it wiser not to argue with a madman?

Do you take in lodgers?

Yes, pet. And I'll wait 'till you're in the shower and make sure the knife
is beautifully back lit through the shower curtain. And you can be certain
I've got a powerful sound system in the bathroom for the violins. To match
the powerful gravity fed shower. So the blood will wash away in seconds.

So you couldn't get treatment at this short notice?

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:57:03 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

The law is the law. They can't insist on appliances being fitted by a

club.
If that is their way then they should sell only through that club.

If they didn't sell it direct to you, they have no obligation to offer any
guarantee at all, so they can do what they like.

If it is dead in the box, it is the retailer that is liable, not the
manufacturer, unless the manufacturer voluntarily decides to offer a
guarantee, which may be more restrictive than the statutory rights you have
with the retailer and may include restrictions on who fits it.

Of course, most manufacturers offer relatively unrestrictive guarantees, as
otherwise the retailers would get very annoyed at having to deal with all
the issues and may delist the products in question.

Christian.

I think that that depends, Christian.

If the product was sold through a "trade" source (e.g. a heating
merchant) not as a consumer sale, then they may well have a clause in
their Ts and Cs that it is explicitly not a consumer transaction.
Then, AIUI, the consumer legislation does not apply.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

http://www.diybanter.com

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I expect that John Lewis are out of touch with reality again.

Recently bought a TV from them. They were cheaper than any of the box
shifters when you took into account the free 5 year warranty and free
delivery.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

wrote:

[...]

That is nonsense. If they sell to the general public then it is not trade.
If they want trade only they only sell to the trade and vet the customers to
sell to.

Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Suitable bath taps for combi boilers First Network UK diy 1 February 11th 05 02:40 PM
How to correctly size combi boilers Dean UK diy 16 December 25th 03 10:49 PM
Combi Boilers Marv UK diy 5 November 2nd 03 11:34 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM