Ed Sirett

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:18:46 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

Set Square wrote:
Kate11171 wrote:

We are having trouble finding a plumber to install a combi boiler for
us. My husband is quite confident that he could do the job himself but
obviously it has to have a certificate from a CORGI registerd plumber.
Do you know if it is possible or legal for my husband to do the work
and a plumber come in and inspect it and pass it or would a plumber be
reluctant to do this?
Thanks

It's perfectly legal. How easy it is to get a CORGI to certify someone
else's work, I don't know. I guess that the CORGI would want to do the gas
installation and commissioning himself - leaving the physical installation
and the water side to your husband.

There is nothing in law to say CORGI has to get involved at all.
The relevant gas legislation just says "a competant person", if it's for
domestic installation, and not done for gain.
However, the insurance/mortgage/landlord/... may require CORGI testing.

We have had this discussion before. Whilst the term competent is open to
clarification. There is a spectrum of opinion: from those who would say
the only way to prove competance would be to have the certification that a
registered fitter has: to those who say that carefully following
every instruction in the book should be good enough together with enough
experience of general plumbing and othe skills.

The Gas Regs are clear that Landlords safety records may only be done by
registered fitters. That's the beginning and end of it IMHO.