wig wig is offline
Member

Default deleted

I wonder if this post is edited on the news group aswell or only on the online forum @ diybanter?

Sorry about the double post, diybanter is extremely slow sometimes and you don't know if the message has gone through or not.

"Elephants can't be choosers"

Last edited by wig : June 1st 05 at 11:41 PM
Stefek Zaba

wig wrote:
I wonder if this post is edited on the news group aswell or only on the
online forum @ diybanter?

Sorry about the double post, diybanter is extremely slow sometimes and
you don't know if the message has gone through or not.

Who knows? Who cares?

Download a copy of Thunderbird (it's free) from www.mozilla.org. Point
it at your ISP's news server, or take out a 10-euro-a-year account at
news.individual.net or 20 quid a year at gradwell.com (or included in a
35-quid-a-year email account there). Welcome the the world of 'real' News.

As your stickypads - WHSmiff, Staples, and the like sell them, in
smaller sizes but on a backing sheet and not-quite-separated. You might
find art supplies shops will sell bigger ones for more cash.

If you let us know what it is you're hanging, you may get some ideas for
alternatives, too.

Stefek

Lurch

On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:34:47 +0100, Stefek Zaba
strung together this:

Sorry about the double post, diybanter is extremely slow sometimes and
you don't know if the message has gone through or not.

Who knows? Who cares?

Not me, diybanter still in the killfile here.
--

SJW
raden

In message , wig
writes

I wonder if this post is edited on the news group aswell or only on the
online forum @ diybanter?

Sorry about the double post, diybanter is extremely slow sometimes and
you don't know if the message has gone through or not.

Nothing gets edited on uk.d-i-y

it has no moderator and nobody with the authority (or inclination) to do
so

--
geoff
Mike

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message

Download a copy of Thunderbird (it's free) from www.mozilla.org.

I tried this and couldn't get it to accept my program files folder resides
on my D drive. Same with Firefox browser.

Owain

Mike wrote:
"Stefek Zaba" wrote
Download a copy of Thunderbird (it's free) from www.mozilla.org.

I tried this and couldn't get it to accept my program files folder resides
on my D drive. Same with Firefox browser.

You can install Thunderbird into any directory but it will by default
install your profile and mailbox files into C:\something. I have
Thunderbird on D: (my apps disk) and my mailbox files on F: (my data disk)

On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually
%AppData%\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\, where xxxxxxxx is a
random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and
Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\ and the rest
should be obvious.
On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default \
On Linux, the path is usually ~/.thunderbird/xxxxxxxx.default/
On Mac OS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Application
Support/Thunderbird/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/

%AppData% is a shorthand for the Application Data path on Windows
2000/XP. To use it, click Start Run..., enter %AppData% and press
Enter. You will be taken to the "real" folder, which is normally
C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data.

To move the profile:

- Shut down Thunderbird completely (File Exit).
- Move the profile folder to the desired location. For example, on
Windows, move the profile from C:\Documents and
Settings\[username]\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default to D:\Stuff\MyMailProfile. If
you are reading these instructions because you want to restore a
previously backed up profile, this step isn't necessary. Just note the
current location of the profile you want to restore.
- Open up profiles.ini in a text editor. The file is located in the
application data folder for Thunderbird:
- On Windows XP/2000, the path is %AppData%\Thunderbird\
- On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Thunderbird\
- On Linux, the path is ~/.thunderbird/
- On Mac OS X, the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Thunderbird/
- In profiles.ini, locate the entry for the profile you've just moved.
- Change the Path= line to the new location.
- Change IsRelative=1 to IsRelative=0.
- Save profiles.ini and restart Thunderbird.

From the Thunderbird website.

Owain

The Wanderer

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:31:02 +0100, Owain wrote:

Mike wrote:
"Stefek Zaba" wrote
Download a copy of Thunderbird (it's free) from www.mozilla.org.

I tried this and couldn't get it to accept my program files folder resides
on my D drive. Same with Firefox browser.

Yup, I have my message files in a non-standard location (my D drive - in
anticiaption for when I have to do a periodic reinstal of windoze)

snip

To move the profile:

- Shut down Thunderbird completely (File Exit).
- Move the profile folder to the desired location.

snip

From the Thunderbird website.

Yup I did that when I installed T'Bird a couple of weeks ago, and it worked
a treat.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
wig wig is offline
Member

Hmmm,

well three people have replied quoting the edited/changed text I made. Those three people were all usenet posters. So either my edited text was posted as a 'reply' to the original, or the post was indeed edited on the usenet news group. - which is interesting if nothing else.

Other previous poster, I know how to use newsgroups, I just choose not to, I prefer www based forums. Thanks for your information.

I'm not trying here to be rude or smart aleck with people, this post is intended to be courteous. I was just interested if my usenet post would be edited.
wig wig is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wig
Hmmm,

well three people have replied quoting the edited/changed text I made. Those three people were all usenet posters. So either my edited text was posted as a 'reply' to the original, or the post was indeed edited on the usenet news group. - which is interesting if nothing else.

Other previous poster, I know how to use newsgroups, I just choose not to, I prefer www based forums. Thanks for your information.

I'm not trying here to be rude or smart aleck with people, this post is intended to be courteous. I was just interested if my usenet post would be edited.

Ok I understand the killfile part now, he was replying to quoted text given by another usenet user.
Lurch

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:58:33 +0100, The Wanderer
strung together this:

I tried this and couldn't get it to accept my program files folder resides
on my D drive. Same with Firefox browser.

Yup, I have my message files in a non-standard location (my D drive - in
anticiaption for when I have to do a periodic reinstal of windoze)

I've got Thunderbird on C, D and E for 3 different OS'es. They all use
the profile on D so whichever OS I boot into Thunderbird shows me all
my messages sent and received from any previous sessions on another
OS.

The same goes for Firefox, all bookmarks etc.. are in the profile on D
so any OS has the latest set of bookmarks and history.
--

SJW

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , wig
wrote:

Other previous poster, I know how to use newsgroups, I just choose not
to, I prefer www based forums. Thanks for your information.

If as it seems, you are then unable to post with trimmed context, I suggest
you do it via a proper newsreader.

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **

John Rumm

wig wrote:

well three people have replied quoting the edited/changed text I made.
Those three people were all usenet posters. So either my edited text
was posted as a 'reply' to the original, or the post was indeed edited
on the usenet news group. - which is interesting if nothing else.

You had two original posts visible on usenet - one talking about edits,
the other asking the question about sticky pads.

I'm not trying here to be rude or smart aleck with people, this post is
intended to be courteous. I was just interested if my usenet post would
be edited.

Usenet posts can be cancelled by a followup cancel post sent from the
same account (in theory - but not all news servers honour cancel posts).
You can't go back and edit an existing post.

Diybanter may let you edit, but as you found out it will simply result
in duplicated postings.

Note also that Diybanter does filter the text of postings to remove rude
words etc. It took me a while to work out what all these posts talking
about ho____er were about ;-) (h o t w a t e r - if spelt out without
spaces seems to upset the filter by virtue of the middle four characters!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Stefek Zaba

Mike wrote:
Download a copy of Thunderbird (it's free) from www.mozilla.org.

I tried this and couldn't get it to accept my program files folder resides
on my D drive. Same with Firefox browser.

Bizarre. In a habit acquired when virus writers were less clued up than
they now are, I run without a C: drive altogether. In honour of XP, my
system files are on a partition it calls X:, D: holds date, E: is
swapEE, F: is Fragephera (temp files and so on). I've never had the
least problem during Mozilla, Firefox, or Thunderbird installation
telling them to put their binaries over in D:\winapps - to which,
moreover, my 'ordinary' user account has read, but not write, access (I
run only the installer from an Admin-privileged account); nor to tell
them, after the first install, to put cache and profile directories
where *I* want them.

There *are* apps which need more fettling to be told about this vague
approximation to 'least privilege' working. Unsurprisingly, MS Office is
one such: whenever I've installed as God but run as Mortal, I've had 3-4
popups each time I open an Ossif document saying 'I'm gonna get some
Help files just for you from my Install Directory. Ooh, where's that?
D'you have the Office CD to hand, mortal dear?' - which I dismiss.
Usually by the time it's tried to do this 3-4 times it's lost all heart,
and brings up a document-free app window, requiring me to manually Open
the document I want. Workaround is to elevate privs of Mortal user to
God, let Ossif do its user-specific config, then drop privs back down to
Mortal. (Thanks again, MS, for being too smart to learn the basic ideas
from operating systems of 30 years ago.)

Stefek
Mike

"Owain" wrote in message
t...
Mike wrote:
"Stefek Zaba" wrote
Download a copy of Thunderbird (it's free) from www.mozilla.org.

I tried this and couldn't get it to accept my program files folder

resides
on my D drive. Same with Firefox browser.

You can install Thunderbird into any directory but it will by default
install your profile and mailbox files into C:\something. I have
Thunderbird on D: (my apps disk) and my mailbox files on F: (my data disk)

On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually
%AppData%\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\, where xxxxxxxx is a
random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and
Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\ and the rest
should be obvious.

It installed okay but then seemed not to recognise things it needed that
were on the C drive - modem driver I think it was.
I'll have another go since it appears several other people here have got it
to work as well.

raden

In message , wig
writes
Nothing gets edited on uk.d-i-y

it has no moderator and nobody with the authority (or inclination) to
do

so
geoff

Hmmm,

well three people have replied quoting the edited/changed text I made.
Those three people were all usenet posters. So either my edited text
was posted as a 'reply' to the original, or the post was indeed edited
on the usenet news group. - which is interesting if nothing else.

No that's called snipping

Removal of irrelevant crap so that other people don't have to read it

It's a basic courtesy

Other previous poster, I know how to use newsgroups, I just choose not
to, I prefer www based forums. Thanks for your information.

I'm not trying here to be rude or smart aleck with people, this post is
intended to be courteous. I was just interested if my usenet post would
be edited.

"Ok I understand the killfile part now, he was replying to quoted
text
given by another usenet user."

From what you've written above and the fact that you've ended up
creating four threads out of one, I really think you don't understand
how to use newsgroups

--
geoff

wig wig is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)
snip
If as it seems, you are then unable to post with trimmed context, I suggest
you do it via a proper newsreader.
snip
What do you mean - trimmed context - Do you mean what I have just done? snip , snip? I can do that as you have just seen. It is my understanding that many people want to see the previous information. It maybe that some prefer it all to be there, some prefer it to be snipped, and yet more would prefer it if it were all deleted. It is the same as the age old arguement of whether to top post or bottom post. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I'm afraid I'm from the school of "I don't care" that is to say I don't care how others post, I will read what they have to say no matter how they have decided to present it. and I don't push my views on how things should be done onto others. And I don't care in this instance about whether people post via a "www forum" or using a newsreader to the newsgroup directly.

So as I said b4 I know how to post via a newsreader, but I prefer not to.
raden

In message , wig
writes

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) Wrote:

snip
If as it seems, you are then unable to post with trimmed context, I
suggest

you do it via a proper newsreader.
snip

What do you mean - trimmed context - Do you mean what I have just done?
snip , snip? I can do that as you have just seen.

That'd be what you confused with editing

It is my
understanding that many people want to see the previous information.
It maybe that some prefer it all to be there, some prefer it to be
snipped, and yet more would prefer it if it were all deleted.

The simple, and obvious thing to do is snip what is irrelevant to your
part of the discussion.

3-4 screens of irrelevant crap help nobody

So as I said b4 I know how to post via a newsreader, but I prefer not
to.

So why have you created 4 threads ?

--
geoff
wig wig is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raden
From what you've written above and the fact that you've ended up
creating four threads out of one, I really think you don't understand
how to use newsgroups geoff
What are you talking about 4 threads for? I can only see 2. I initially posted two *identical* posts about sticky pads, one of them I edited, i.e. the post at the beginning of this thread. The only thing I was unable to edit was the title. If you are seeing 4 threads perhaps it is you who cannot use newsreaders.

Yesterday out of interest - because none of you are able to grasp what I have been saying - I edited the OP post in this thread with the words "elephants can't be choosers" just to see if it could be done, well it has worked for me viewing here, question is has it worked for you viewing there? From my memory of newsgroups it may be that you have to "refresh" this thread in your newsreader or failing that refresh the whole newsgroup (and from my experience of using newsgroups I won't be surprised if you are unwilling to do this.) If you are unwilling I guess I might have to "come down there to see for myself".
dave stanton

What are you talking about 4 threads for? I can only see 2. I initially
posted two *identical* posts about sticky pads, one of them I edited, i.e.
the post at the beginning of this thread. The only thing I was unable to
edit was the title. If you are seeing 4 threads perhaps it is you who
cannot use newsreaders.

I have just searched on sticky pads in this ng and you have started at
least 7 over the course of a few days.

Dave

wig wig is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wig
What are you talking about 4 threads for?
snip
I guess I might have to "come down there to see for myself".
OK, I have just been to outlook express and gone to the newsgroup UK DIY. To see what all the fuss is about to what was from me a simple question.

There is only one thread called "double sided sticky pads" It has it's source OP posted by wig on 31-05-05 - 14:52
In reply to this was the next one duplicate post at 14:54 I edited the one at 14:52 on diybanter to apologise for the duplicate post and also asked if you could see the edit. To explain this to you, DIYbanter has a time delay, before it posts the message to the newsgroups, if you edit the post (before it gets posted by diybanter to the newsgroup) then the edited post will be posted to the newsgroup. This is what happened here.

My subsequent edit to put in "elephants can't be choosers" only shows up on the www forum & not in the newsgroup. So Just to be clear the edited post will show on the newsgroup if it is edited before diybanter posts it to the newsgroup.

As I said there is only 1 thread, with about 30 replies, including the ones about thunderbird. DIYbanter for some reason does not reply in a thread format, even though I am here replying to specific posts, on the newsgroup all my replies are showing as replies to the OP, they are not new threads, just new replies to the OP. This is NOT my fault it is the fault of DIYbanter.

Now I have decided to stop coming to DIYbanter because although the principle is a good idea to link the web with a newsgroup in practice obviously there are things not meshing well together. I have decided it is more hassle than it is worth and I will go to a different 100% onine www forum.

I hope you can all now understand what the confusion was, it is easy for confusion to build up because we are viewing from 2 different platforms. I was not "snipping" I did "edit" the post, I just edited it before it was sent to the newsgroup.

Let this be an end to it all.

Last edited by wig : June 2nd 05 at 02:15 PM
Stefek Zaba

wig wrote:

As I said there is only 1 thread, with about 30 replies, including the
ones about thunderbird.

That's not a generally-valid conclusion. What you have is *one*
observation, showing that with a particular version of a particular news
client (or not-so-near offer), accessing a particular news server, you
see one thread. Not all newsreaders thread the same way, and -
particularly - web-news gateways notoriously louse up threading by not
passing References: headers decently, forcing different newsreaders to
make different guesses about what belongs in one thread.

DIYbanter for some reason does not reply in a
thread format, even though I am here replying to specific posts, on the
newsgroup all my replies are showing as replies to the OP, they are not
new threads, just new replies to the OP. This is NOT my fault it is
the fault of DIYbanter.

diybanter is merely leeching off a well-established newsgroup (uk.d-i-y)
which works very well as a newsgroup. Like nearly all Web-news
interfaces, it sucketh. Different ones sucketh differently. Ones which
are established with the main aim of providing an advertising wrapper
around an established community-of-interest tend to suck mightily. 's
life...

Hope your car's spoiler's back in place now - Stefek
raden

In message , wig
writes

raden Wrote:
From what you've written above and the fact that you've ended up
creating four threads out of one, I really think you don't understand
how to use newsgroups geoff

What are you talking about 4 threads for? I can only see 2. I
initially posted two *identical* posts about sticky pads, one of them I
edited, i.e. the post at the beginning of this thread. The only thing I
was unable to edit was the title. If you are seeing 4 threads perhaps
it is you who cannot use newsreaders.

No, you retard, there are now 6 separate threads, and 3 on solar panels

I do know how to use a newsreader and have been doing so for years (I
must have been in this NG for around 8 years for starters

surprised if you are unwilling to do this.) If you are unwilling I
guess I might have to "come down there to see for myself".

Whatever, sort your posting out

--
geoff
raden

In message , dave stanton
writes

What are you talking about 4 threads for? I can only see 2. I initially
posted two *identical* posts about sticky pads, one of them I edited, i.e.
the post at the beginning of this thread. The only thing I was unable to
edit was the title. If you are seeing 4 threads perhaps it is you who
cannot use newsreaders.

I have just searched on sticky pads in this ng and you have started at
least 7 over the course of a few days.

It must be you, who like me, doesn't understand newsgroups

--
geoff
dave stanton

It must be you, who like me, doesn't understand newsgroups

Oh dear, 20 years on ng down the drain, s**t !!!

Dave

dave stanton

Without getting into a free for all, what have you got against doing it
via a newserver ?

Dave
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , dave stanton
wrote:

Without getting into a free for all, what have you got against doing it
via a newserver ?

Because it means showing trimmed context?

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **

John Rumm

raden wrote:

No, you retard, there are now 6 separate threads, and 3 on solar panels

To be fair, only seeing one here (although incorrectly threaded).

DIYBanter seems to create broken threads, but how badly they appear
broken varies with news server and choice of reader software.

--
Cheers,

John.

raden

In message , dave stanton
writes

It must be you, who like me, doesn't understand newsgroups

Oh dear, 20 years on ng down the drain, s**t !!!

Yeah, there's me thinking I had a clue an'all

--
geoff
raden

In message , John
Rumm writes
raden wrote:

No, you retard, there are now 6 separate threads, and 3 on solar panels

To be fair, only seeing one here (although incorrectly threaded).

DIYBanter seems to create broken threads, but how badly they appear
broken varies with news server and choice of reader software.

Ten now, and counting

--
geoff

Stefek Zaba

dave stanton wrote:
Without getting into a free for all, what have you got against doing it
via a newserver ?

On the technical level, it louses up the links between articles -
threading gets lost, context gets auto-trimmed, it leaves the (l)users
uncertain whether they've posted or not.

On the social level, it leeches the content of this newsgroup, gives new
users the mistaken impression that *all* the contributors are 'in' the
diybanter 'club' - which causes said new users to make mistaken
assumptions about the social norms. Then when someone tries to make them
aware of said norms, we get into the 'no it isn't, yes it is' tedium.

Stefek