Lyndell Thompson

Default Free sanding pads?

On a service call tonight (commercial refrigeration) had to move 30 old
boxes of floor buffing pads to reach the refrigeration unit in the back
room. Each box I picked up to throw out of the way...a couple of pads about
3-4" in diameter(I didn't measure them) and 1-1/4 or so thick fell out on
the ground. I am working on the unit when it hits me "they throw the center
piece out of the buffing pads away" and all I can think of is: can I use
these to sand or buff items on the lathe? Might even work for Darrell
Feltman's, make your own sanding pads. Work is killing me right now and I
doubt I will make it to the shop for a couple of weeks to do any turning.
When I do, I will report on them. Meanwhile: What say ye about buffing pad
centers? There has to be a million a day going into the dumpster!
Lyndell

mac davis

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:22:45 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

On a service call tonight (commercial refrigeration) had to move 30 old
boxes of floor buffing pads to reach the refrigeration unit in the back
room. Each box I picked up to throw out of the way...a couple of pads about
3-4" in diameter(I didn't measure them) and 1-1/4 or so thick fell out on
the ground. I am working on the unit when it hits me "they throw the center
piece out of the buffing pads away" and all I can think of is: can I use
these to sand or buff items on the lathe? Might even work for Darrell
Feltman's, make your own sanding pads. Work is killing me right now and I
doubt I will make it to the shop for a couple of weeks to do any turning.
When I do, I will report on them. Meanwhile: What say ye about buffing pad
centers? There has to be a million a day going into the dumpster!
Lyndell

is the 1 1/4" thick part ONE center, or a stack of them?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Perhaps you could set up a company that already sells abrasives to
turners
with this source of discs, if they work out well. Not a huge market,
but people have made fortunes before figuring out how to use what would
have been thrown away and was considered a nuisance.

Lyndell Thompson

Mac, I didn't give very good dimensions last night. The pad centers are
about 3-1/4" in diameter and 1" thick (single piece) not 1-1/4" as I had
stated. I figure if nothing else a person could use them to hold sandpaper
while finishing bowls. This would keep your hands cool but give great
flexibility to the surface. I may be gloating prematurely, but @ free, one
can afford to gloat :-). One other thought is the fact they don't seem to
hurt floors while whirling around on the buffer. Now if I can conjer up a
homebrew drill chuck for these..................
Lyndell

wrote:

[...]

Ya don't happen to have a few spares I could 'test' do you?
Phil

Ricky Dietsch

Now if I can conjer up a
homebrew drill chuck for these..................
Lyndell

two words DUCT TAPE!

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Lyndell

Go to Darrell Feltmates web site
You will find many good plans and ideas, also for making sanding disks
and passive power sander.

http://aroundthewood.com/

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Lyndell Thompson wrote:
Mac, I didn't give very good dimensions last night. The pad centers are
about 3-1/4" in diameter and 1" thick (single piece) not 1-1/4" as I had
stated. I figure if nothing else a person could use them to hold sandpaper
while finishing bowls. This would keep your hands cool but give great
flexibility to the surface. I may be gloating prematurely, but @ free, one
can afford to gloat :-). One other thought is the fact they don't seem to
hurt floors while whirling around on the buffer. Now if I can conjer up a
homebrew drill chuck for these..................
Lyndell

mac davis

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:39:29 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

Mac, I didn't give very good dimensions last night. The pad centers are
about 3-1/4" in diameter and 1" thick (single piece) not 1-1/4" as I had
stated. I figure if nothing else a person could use them to hold sandpaper
while finishing bowls. This would keep your hands cool but give great
flexibility to the surface. I may be gloating prematurely, but @ free, one
can afford to gloat :-). One other thought is the fact they don't seem to
hurt floors while whirling around on the buffer. Now if I can conjer up a
homebrew drill chuck for these..................
Lyndell

I use a home made sander and hold the disks to the pad with carpet tape..

If they're an inch thick, you could also make a variation of the Dremal screw
arbor that they use for thick cloth buffing wheels.. just a screw on the end of
the shaft that screws into the back of the pad like a wood screw..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Chris Ross

I think I know what your talking about. The centers out of the large
floor buffing discs. The ones where I work are black for the heavy
stripping pad, red for a little less coarse, and white for a polishing
pad. Yeah some people use them like green 3m pads where I work. I don't
see why you couldnt use them.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Free Custom Walkthrough Checklists for New Homes! customwalkthroughchecklists.com Home Ownership 3 July 27th 04 04:39 PM
Lint free rags? David P Woodworking 10 December 18th 03 10:23 PM