DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Free sanding pads? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/91219-free-sanding-pads.html)

Lyndell Thompson February 15th 05 03:22 AM

Free sanding pads?

On a service call tonight (commercial refrigeration) had to move 30 old
boxes of floor buffing pads to reach the refrigeration unit in the back
room. Each box I picked up to throw out of the way...a couple of pads about
3-4" in diameter(I didn't measure them) and 1-1/4 or so thick fell out on
the ground. I am working on the unit when it hits me "they throw the center
piece out of the buffing pads away" and all I can think of is: can I use
these to sand or buff items on the lathe? Might even work for Darrell
Feltman's, make your own sanding pads. Work is killing me right now and I
doubt I will make it to the shop for a couple of weeks to do any turning.
When I do, I will report on them. Meanwhile: What say ye about buffing pad
centers? There has to be a million a day going into the dumpster!
Lyndell

mac davis February 15th 05 04:25 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:22:45 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

On a service call tonight (commercial refrigeration) had to move 30 old
boxes of floor buffing pads to reach the refrigeration unit in the back
room. Each box I picked up to throw out of the way...a couple of pads about
3-4" in diameter(I didn't measure them) and 1-1/4 or so thick fell out on
the ground. I am working on the unit when it hits me "they throw the center
piece out of the buffing pads away" and all I can think of is: can I use
these to sand or buff items on the lathe? Might even work for Darrell
Feltman's, make your own sanding pads. Work is killing me right now and I
doubt I will make it to the shop for a couple of weeks to do any turning.
When I do, I will report on them. Meanwhile: What say ye about buffing pad
centers? There has to be a million a day going into the dumpster!
Lyndell

is the 1 1/4" thick part ONE center, or a stack of them?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

[email protected] February 15th 05 10:27 PM

Perhaps you could set up a company that already sells abrasives to
turners
with this source of discs, if they work out well. Not a huge market,
but people have made fortunes before figuring out how to use what would
have been thrown away and was considered a nuisance.

Lyndell Thompson February 16th 05 01:39 AM

Mac, I didn't give very good dimensions last night. The pad centers are
about 3-1/4" in diameter and 1" thick (single piece) not 1-1/4" as I had
stated. I figure if nothing else a person could use them to hold sandpaper
while finishing bowls. This would keep your hands cool but give great
flexibility to the surface. I may be gloating prematurely, but @ free, one
can afford to gloat :-). One other thought is the fact they don't seem to
hurt floors while whirling around on the buffer. Now if I can conjer up a
homebrew drill chuck for these..................
Lyndell

[email protected] February 16th 05 02:43 AM

Ya don't happen to have a few spares I could 'test' do you?
Phil

Ricky Dietsch February 16th 05 04:22 AM

Now if I can conjer up a
homebrew drill chuck for these..................
Lyndell

two words DUCT TAPE!

Leo Van Der Loo February 16th 05 05:07 AM

Hi Lyndell

Go to Darrell Feltmates web site
You will find many good plans and ideas, also for making sanding disks
and passive power sander.

http://aroundthewood.com/

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

mac davis February 16th 05 03:54 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:39:29 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

Mac, I didn't give very good dimensions last night. The pad centers are
about 3-1/4" in diameter and 1" thick (single piece) not 1-1/4" as I had
stated. I figure if nothing else a person could use them to hold sandpaper
while finishing bowls. This would keep your hands cool but give great
flexibility to the surface. I may be gloating prematurely, but @ free, one
can afford to gloat :-). One other thought is the fact they don't seem to
hurt floors while whirling around on the buffer. Now if I can conjer up a
homebrew drill chuck for these..................
Lyndell

I use a home made sander and hold the disks to the pad with carpet tape..

If they're an inch thick, you could also make a variation of the Dremal screw
arbor that they use for thick cloth buffing wheels.. just a screw on the end of
the shaft that screws into the back of the pad like a wood screw..

Chris Ross February 17th 05 07:20 AM

I think I know what your talking about. The centers out of the large
floor buffing discs. The ones where I work are black for the heavy
stripping pad, red for a little less coarse, and white for a polishing
pad. Yeah some people use them like green 3m pads where I work. I don't
see why you couldnt use them.