Old February 28th 05, 06:31 PM
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Help w/ new HF Shop Crane/Engine Hoist

Awl--

Apropos of the HF shipping thread, I just got mine, a non-folding version,
from HF (Central Hydraulics).

Cupla problems, like eccentric wheels, but overall pretty sturdy. Comes w/
about 400 nuts, screws, bolts!

But here's my PRESSING question:

Where is the oil fill screw/plug on this unit??
They say you gotta push the piston down, fill, raise it up, fill--but fill
WHERE??
Not through the release valve/screw, right?

Through that rubber ditty up near the top?? If so, how would one get oil in
there???
Through the piston/plunger???

I'm at a loss! Emailed the tech peeple at HF, but god knows how long that
will take, or if they will even know!

TIA!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Old February 28th 05, 07:03 PM
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Through that rubber ditty up near the top?? If so, how would one get oil

in
there???

Yep, the rubber "ditty" (I call them hole plugsG). Use a nozzled bottle,
and squirt it into the hole.

('tis messy when you overfill, too! Make sure the ram's DOWN on the last
fillup)

LLoyd

Old February 28th 05, 07:06 PM
Proctologically Violated©®

Lloyd,

Thank you very much. One more Q:

What kind of hydraulic oil? Or is there only one? Brake fluid mebbe??
Thanks.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
k.net...

Old February 28th 05, 08:13 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote: What kind of hydraulic oil? Or is
there only one? Brake fluid mebbe??
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NOT brake fluid. There is oil labelled as hydraulic jack oil. In a pinch I
used chain-bar oil, or something else, and never could tell the difference.

Old February 28th 05, 08:33 PM
Bob Paulin

Leo Lichtman wrote in article

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote: What kind of hydraulic oil? Or is
there only one? Brake fluid mebbe??
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NOT brake fluid. There is oil labelled as hydraulic jack oil. In a

pinch I
used chain-bar oil, or something else, and never could tell the

difference.

Chain saw bar & chain oil does not have the rust and oxidation inhibitors
that jack oil and the various hydraulic oils contain.

--
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services

Old February 28th 05, 09:40 PM
Pete C.

For those who are not aware, on a typical self contained hydraulic jack,
the outer round tube is *not* the outside of the hydraulic cylinder, it
is a fluid tank that is coaxial to the cylinder. This is not true for
units where the pump is separate from the cylinder and connected by a
hose.

Pete C.

Old February 28th 05, 11:30 PM
Gunner

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:40:57 GMT, "Pete C." wrote:

For those who are not aware, on a typical self contained hydraulic jack,
the outer round tube is *not* the outside of the hydraulic cylinder, it
is a fluid tank that is coaxial to the cylinder. This is not true for
units where the pump is separate from the cylinder and connected by a
hose.

Pete C.

Which reminds me...anyone in So. Cal know of a jack rebuilding house
in the Pomona/Santa Ana areas?

I was given a FAV (italian) "bench top" 20 ton hydraulic press, that
has blown seals in the ram. I just need some seals.

Oh..and the Viet that took it apart lost the valve stem for the
pump..and the gizmo that the internal retract spring attaches too.
But those should be managable to make up.

Gunner

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Through that rubber ditty up near the top?? If so, how would one get oil

in
there???

Yep, the rubber "ditty" (I call them hole plugsG). Use a nozzled bottle,
and squirt it into the hole.

('tis messy when you overfill, too! Make sure the ram's DOWN on the last
fillup)

LLoyd

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)
Old February 28th 05, 11:37 PM
~Roy

I have always been sucessful at getting any parts from most any
hydraulics repairer. My youngin lost the valve and check assembly from
a 10 ton bottle jack made by Blackhawk that wa probably 25+ years old,
and they had one in stock that fit it and worked fine.

Same for all the cups and seals etc in all my bottle jacks that last
year I got a whim to take apart, and clean up the resivoirs and
replace the seals in. They had everything needed on their shelf, and
this is a one horse town, and it surprised me........

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:30:30 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

===On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:40:57 GMT, "Pete C." wrote:
===
[...]
==="Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:
===
=== ...

Old February 28th 05, 11:40 PM
~Roy

HF well, is HF. I came within a hair of buying one of them myself, but
decided to kick it around a bit more..ON the way home I stopped by
Advance Auto to pick up some oil filters, and they had a nice hoist in
there for $20 bucks more that had a max capacity of 8,000 pounds and a
lot longer reach. It was also a fold up space saver type, so that to
me was a plus as well...quality between the Advance Auto hoist and the
HF hoist is like night and day, even though both are made in China.
Old March 1st 05, 12:26 AM
Grant Erwin

~Roy wrote:

HF well, is HF. I came within a hair of buying one of them myself, but
decided to kick it around a bit more..ON the way home I stopped by
Advance Auto to pick up some oil filters, and they had a nice hoist in
there for $20 bucks more that had a max capacity of 8,000 pounds and a
lot longer reach. It was also a fold up space saver type, so that to
me was a plus as well...quality between the Advance Auto hoist and the
HF hoist is like night and day, even though both are made in China.

If you guys want an upgrade on your engine hoist, go check these out:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/omega/44981.html

You have to make up a little part that bolts to the bottom of the jack
and acts like a clevis hitch, but that's pretty easy if you know how to
weld. Best part is the weld strength isn't critical. Anyway, with one of
these air over 8-ton long-throw rams, you can pump it up just like always,
but you can also hook up 90 psi shop air and push a button and up she goes,
only a whole lot faster!

GWE