Bart D. Hull

Gentleman,

Just watch out for the long rams kinking and the lift collapsing when
you need it most. My brother has a KILLER homebuilt engine lift that
uses a 20 ton short ram jack instead of a long ram jack. Hoist uses 1/4"
thick 4x4 steel tubing for all parts of the lift.

Two friends have already had the HF /import lifts destroy the ram and
drop the load. One was a 10cyl Ford motor (no trans) and the other was
a big block chevy with a Turbo 400 behind it (all one lift.) In both
instances the stuff being lifted didn't pinch anybody or anything of
worth inbetween. These were straight lifts on concrete floors not poorly
supported lifts.

Just my caution for the day.

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Glenn wrote:
Cool! If I hook up a CO2 bottle I would have a catapult Wouldn't even
have to mess with motor mounts LOL
Glenn
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
SNIP

If you guys want an upgrade on your engine hoist, go check these out:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/omega/44981.html

You have to make up a little part that bolts to the bottom of the jack
and acts like a clevis hitch, but that's pretty easy if you know how to
weld. Best part is the weld strength isn't critical. Anyway, with one of
these air over 8-ton long-throw rams, you can pump it up just like always,
but you can also hook up 90 psi shop air and push a button and up she
goes,
only a whole lot faster!

GWE