Proctologically Violated©®

Default Help w/ new HF Shop Crane/Engine Hoist

Awl--

Apropos of the HF shipping thread, I just got mine, a non-folding version,
from HF (Central Hydraulics).

Cupla problems, like eccentric wheels, but overall pretty sturdy. Comes w/
about 400 nuts, screws, bolts!

But here's my PRESSING question:

Where is the oil fill screw/plug on this unit??
They say you gotta push the piston down, fill, raise it up, fill--but fill
WHERE??
Not through the release valve/screw, right?

Through that rubber ditty up near the top?? If so, how would one get oil in
there???
Through the piston/plunger???

I'm at a loss! Emailed the tech peeple at HF, but god knows how long that
will take, or if they will even know!

TIA!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Through that rubber ditty up near the top?? If so, how would one get oil

in
there???

Yep, the rubber "ditty" (I call them hole plugsG). Use a nozzled bottle,
and squirt it into the hole.

('tis messy when you overfill, too! Make sure the ram's DOWN on the last
fillup)

LLoyd

Proctologically Violated©®

Lloyd,

Thank you very much. One more Q:

What kind of hydraulic oil? Or is there only one? Brake fluid mebbe??
Thanks.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
k.net...

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Through that rubber ditty up near the top?? If so, how would one get oil

in
there???

Yep, the rubber "ditty" (I call them hole plugsG). Use a nozzled
bottle,
and squirt it into the hole.

('tis messy when you overfill, too! Make sure the ram's DOWN on the last
fillup)

LLoyd

Leo Lichtman

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote: What kind of hydraulic oil? Or is
there only one? Brake fluid mebbe??
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NOT brake fluid. There is oil labelled as hydraulic jack oil. In a pinch I
used chain-bar oil, or something else, and never could tell the difference.

Bob Paulin

Leo Lichtman wrote in article

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote: What kind of hydraulic oil? Or is
there only one? Brake fluid mebbe??
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NOT brake fluid. There is oil labelled as hydraulic jack oil. In a

pinch I
used chain-bar oil, or something else, and never could tell the

difference.

Chain saw bar & chain oil does not have the rust and oxidation inhibitors
that jack oil and the various hydraulic oils contain.

--
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services

Pete C.

For those who are not aware, on a typical self contained hydraulic jack,
the outer round tube is *not* the outside of the hydraulic cylinder, it
is a fluid tank that is coaxial to the cylinder. This is not true for
units where the pump is separate from the cylinder and connected by a
hose.

Pete C.

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Through that rubber ditty up near the top?? If so, how would one get oil

in
there???

Yep, the rubber "ditty" (I call them hole plugsG). Use a nozzled bottle,
and squirt it into the hole.

('tis messy when you overfill, too! Make sure the ram's DOWN on the last
fillup)

LLoyd

Gunner

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:40:57 GMT, "Pete C." wrote:

For those who are not aware, on a typical self contained hydraulic jack,
the outer round tube is *not* the outside of the hydraulic cylinder, it
is a fluid tank that is coaxial to the cylinder. This is not true for
units where the pump is separate from the cylinder and connected by a
hose.

Pete C.

Which reminds me...anyone in So. Cal know of a jack rebuilding house
in the Pomona/Santa Ana areas?

I was given a FAV (italian) "bench top" 20 ton hydraulic press, that
has blown seals in the ram. I just need some seals.

Oh..and the Viet that took it apart lost the valve stem for the
pump..and the gizmo that the internal retract spring attaches too.
But those should be managable to make up.

Gunner

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Through that rubber ditty up near the top?? If so, how would one get oil

in
there???

Yep, the rubber "ditty" (I call them hole plugsG). Use a nozzled bottle,
and squirt it into the hole.

('tis messy when you overfill, too! Make sure the ram's DOWN on the last
fillup)

LLoyd

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)
~Roy

I have always been sucessful at getting any parts from most any
hydraulics repairer. My youngin lost the valve and check assembly from
a 10 ton bottle jack made by Blackhawk that wa probably 25+ years old,
and they had one in stock that fit it and worked fine.

Same for all the cups and seals etc in all my bottle jacks that last
year I got a whim to take apart, and clean up the resivoirs and
replace the seals in. They had everything needed on their shelf, and
this is a one horse town, and it surprised me........

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:30:30 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

===On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:40:57 GMT, "Pete C." wrote:
===
[...]
==="Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:
===
=== "Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
=== ...
[...]

~Roy

HF well, is HF. I came within a hair of buying one of them myself, but
decided to kick it around a bit more..ON the way home I stopped by
Advance Auto to pick up some oil filters, and they had a nice hoist in
there for $20 bucks more that had a max capacity of 8,000 pounds and a
lot longer reach. It was also a fold up space saver type, so that to
me was a plus as well...quality between the Advance Auto hoist and the
HF hoist is like night and day, even though both are made in China.
Grant Erwin

~Roy wrote:

HF well, is HF. I came within a hair of buying one of them myself, but
decided to kick it around a bit more..ON the way home I stopped by
Advance Auto to pick up some oil filters, and they had a nice hoist in
there for $20 bucks more that had a max capacity of 8,000 pounds and a
lot longer reach. It was also a fold up space saver type, so that to
me was a plus as well...quality between the Advance Auto hoist and the
HF hoist is like night and day, even though both are made in China.

If you guys want an upgrade on your engine hoist, go check these out:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/omega/44981.html

You have to make up a little part that bolts to the bottom of the jack
and acts like a clevis hitch, but that's pretty easy if you know how to
weld. Best part is the weld strength isn't critical. Anyway, with one of
these air over 8-ton long-throw rams, you can pump it up just like always,
but you can also hook up 90 psi shop air and push a button and up she goes,
only a whole lot faster!

GWE

Grant Erwin

Or try this one: http://www.dcmtools.com/HydrolicTools.html only $108
with free shipping, wish I'd found that before! - GWE
Errol Groff

I was given a FAV (italian) "bench top" 20 ton hydraulic press, that
has blown seals in the ram. I just need some seals.

Gunner

A penguin was having transmission trouble so he took the car to the
local transmission bandits. They said it would take an hour or so to
diagnose the problem and, since it was a hot day, why didn't he walk
down the street to the ice cream stand and get a cone.

So the penguin waddles down the street and buys a vanilla cone and
waddles back licking his cone.

When he got back to the shop the tech looked at him and reported "it
looks like you blew a seal:.

The penguin glances down at his front where ice cream had dripped and
replies "Oh no, that's just ice cream"!

Ho Ho Ho

Errol Groff

Bart D. Hull

Gentleman,

Just watch out for the long rams kinking and the lift collapsing when
you need it most. My brother has a KILLER homebuilt engine lift that
uses a 20 ton short ram jack instead of a long ram jack. Hoist uses 1/4"
thick 4x4 steel tubing for all parts of the lift.

Two friends have already had the HF /import lifts destroy the ram and
drop the load. One was a 10cyl Ford motor (no trans) and the other was
a big block chevy with a Turbo 400 behind it (all one lift.) In both
instances the stuff being lifted didn't pinch anybody or anything of
worth inbetween. These were straight lifts on concrete floors not poorly
supported lifts.

Just my caution for the day.

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Glenn wrote:
Cool! If I hook up a CO2 bottle I would have a catapult Wouldn't even
have to mess with motor mounts LOL
Glenn
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
SNIP

If you guys want an upgrade on your engine hoist, go check these out:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/omega/44981.html

You have to make up a little part that bolts to the bottom of the jack
and acts like a clevis hitch, but that's pretty easy if you know how to
weld. Best part is the weld strength isn't critical. Anyway, with one of
these air over 8-ton long-throw rams, you can pump it up just like always,
but you can also hook up 90 psi shop air and push a button and up she
goes,
only a whole lot faster!

GWE

JR North

Stay away when Proctologically Violated©® tries his new crane....
JR
Dweller in the cellar

[...]

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Gunner

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:15:09 GMT, Errol Groff
wrote:

I was given a FAV (italian) "bench top" 20 ton hydraulic press, that
has blown seals in the ram. I just need some seals.

Gunner

A penguin was having transmission trouble so he took the car to the
local transmission bandits. They said it would take an hour or so to
diagnose the problem and, since it was a hot day, why didn't he walk
down the street to the ice cream stand and get a cone.

So the penguin waddles down the street and buys a vanilla cone and
waddles back licking his cone.

When he got back to the shop the tech looked at him and reported "it
looks like you blew a seal:.

The penguin glances down at his front where ice cream had dripped and
replies "Oh no, that's just ice cream"!

Ho Ho Ho

Errol Groff

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state
than a blue person in a red state. As a red
person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob
at least you have a gun to protect yourself.
As a blue person, your only hope is to appease
the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)
Richard J Kinch

Bart D. Hull writes:

Two friends have already had the HF /import lifts destroy the ram and
drop the load.

I was using mine (in the "1000 lbs" position) to pull up on some small palm
tree stumps to uproot them. I must have overloaded it because the inside
and outside tubes of the telescoping lifting arm are both bent slightly
now, and I can't stow it all the way in. So it would appear that the
hydraulic ram does not bypass before bending the tool structure itself.

Not sure how I can straighten it, either. Bother.
Proctologically Violated©®

Mebbe you can turn that member upside down, and perform the same operation
to straighten it out. Might have to weld a provisional doo-dad or two.
Or take to someone w/ a hydraulic press or a big-assed arbor press.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Bart D. Hull writes:

Two friends have already had the HF /import lifts destroy the ram and
drop the load.

I was using mine (in the "1000 lbs" position) to pull up on some small
palm
tree stumps to uproot them. I must have overloaded it because the inside
and outside tubes of the telescoping lifting arm are both bent slightly
now, and I can't stow it all the way in. So it would appear that the
hydraulic ram does not bypass before bending the tool structure itself.

Not sure how I can straighten it, either. Bother.

Richard J Kinch

Proctologically Violated©® writes:

Mebbe you can turn that member upside down, and perform the same
operation to straighten it out.

I thought about that with the inside one, but not the outer.
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:58:02 -0600, the inscrutable Richard J Kinch
spake:

Bart D. Hull writes:

Two friends have already had the HF /import lifts destroy the ram and
drop the load.

I was using mine (in the "1000 lbs" position) to pull up on some small palm
tree stumps to uproot them. I must have overloaded it because the inside

Palms have a single taproot. Dig around the base and push sideways to
crack and remove them. Then fill in the hole.

and outside tubes of the telescoping lifting arm are both bent slightly
now, and I can't stow it all the way in. So it would appear that the
hydraulic ram does not bypass before bending the tool structure itself.

Not sure how I can straighten it, either. Bother.

Remove it, flip it over, weld on another bracket, reinstall, and
have at that stump again. Once you have it straight, do NOT attempt
to pull that stump any more.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:21:40 -0600, the inscrutable Richard J Kinch
spake:

Proctologically Violated©® writes:

Mebbe you can turn that member upside down, and perform the same
operation to straighten it out.

I thought about that with the inside one, but not the outer.

Second shot: Once you bend the tubing, its structural integrity is
gone. I recommend replacing both pieces. And to ensure that it
doesn't happen again, weld bracing on the top with a bar directly
over the ram connection. See this pic for hints.
https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/c...rry-picker.jpg

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Palms have a single taproot. Dig around the base and push sideways to
crack and remove them. Then fill in the hole.

HUH? Palms have no taproot whatsoever. They have what could be described
as a "bulb" of small feeder roots. Palms are monocots; they don't do the
dicot/pine tree thing.

LLoyd

Richard J Kinch

Larry Jaques writes:

I recommend replacing both pieces.

Yeah, but how am I gonna ever match that lovely HF orange and black color
scheme? Must be some kind of toxic pigments unavailable in the west.
Proctologically Violated©®

I wonder if that 8,000 lbs was not the rating of ram itself; mine is rated
at 8,000, but the hoist is still 2-ton max (down to 1/2 ton). If you really
had that kind of lifting power, I'm sure it would be reflected in much
larger cross-sections of the tubing, and would be very, very heavy. The HF
is about 240#.

Unfortunately, the nearest Advance is 20 mi from me, in NJ.

See the new thread on Shop Cranes: I'll show you mine if you show me
yours...

----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"~Roy" wrote in message
HF well, is HF. I came within a hair of buying one of them myself, but
decided to kick it around a bit more..ON the way home I stopped by
Advance Auto to pick up some oil filters, and they had a nice hoist in
there for $20 bucks more that had a max capacity of 8,000 pounds and a
lot longer reach. It was also a fold up space saver type, so that to
me was a plus as well...quality between the Advance Auto hoist and the
HF hoist is like night and day, even though both are made in China.

Proctologically Violated©®

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Palms have a single taproot. Dig around the base and push sideways to
crack and remove them. Then fill in the hole.

HUH? Palms have no taproot whatsoever. They have what could be described
as a "bulb" of small feeder roots. Palms are monocots; they don't do the
dicot/pine tree thing.

Everybody knows that.
I think Larry wuz jes testing you...

Larry was right about those bent members being permanently weaker.
The outer could be reinforced as he says, the inner can be easily re-made
from fresh material.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

LLoyd

~Roy

Nope its not the rating of the ram, its the hoists capcity, but IIRC
with the extendable boom in to the last hole. This hoist is heads and
shoulders much more substantial than the HF models are.....

I also have seen a few HF hoists back at the store (Returns) just
setting there that either bent or tore apart at the welds.........I
can't really say what happened to them as I do not know, and they may
have been trying to lift an Abrams tank with them.........

Too late on ther other thread for now anyhow, as I have already
deleted them as I was not following them to begin with.

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:01:29 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

===I wonder if that 8,000 lbs was not the rating of ram itself; mine is rated
===at 8,000, but the hoist is still 2-ton max (down to 1/2 ton). If you really
===had that kind of lifting power, I'm sure it would be reflected in much
===larger cross-sections of the tubing, and would be very, very heavy. The HF
===is about 240#.
===
===Unfortunately, the nearest Advance is 20 mi from me, in NJ.
===
===See the new thread on Shop Cranes: I'll show you mine if you show me
===yours...
===
===----------------------------
===Mr. P.V.'d
===formerly Droll Troll
==="~Roy" wrote in message
et...
=== HF well, is HF. I came within a hair of buying one of them myself, but
=== decided to kick it around a bit more..ON the way home I stopped by
=== Advance Auto to pick up some oil filters, and they had a nice hoist in
=== there for $20 bucks more that had a max capacity of 8,000 pounds and a
=== lot longer reach. It was also a fold up space saver type, so that to
=== me was a plus as well...quality between the Advance Auto hoist and the
=== HF hoist is like night and day, even though both are made in China.
=== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!
===

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:11:31 GMT, the inscrutable "Lloyd E.
Sponenburgh" spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
Palms have a single taproot. Dig around the base and push sideways to
crack and remove them. Then fill in the hole.

HUH? Palms have no taproot whatsoever. They have what could be described
as a "bulb" of small feeder roots. Palms are monocots; they don't do the
dicot/pine tree thing.

Yeah, I meant the bulb being the only root system, no large lateral
trunk roots coming out in all directions. Dig down a bit, rock the
trunk, and lift.

P.S: Are monocots anything like finger cots?

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:51:04 -0600, the inscrutable Richard J Kinch
spake:

Larry Jaques writes:

I recommend replacing both pieces.

Yeah, but how am I gonna ever match that lovely HF orange and black color
scheme? Must be some kind of toxic pigments unavailable in the west.

Go with a nice International orange and a clearcoat topper.
Make it out of white lead if you want to match the toxicity level.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----
Al 2

Someone wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
Palms have a single taproot. Dig around the base and push sideways to
crack and remove them. Then fill in the hole.

HUH? Palms have no taproot whatsoever. They have what could be described
as a "bulb" of small feeder roots. Palms are monocots; they don't do the
dicot/pine tree thing.

LLoyd

Mine did. Hooked onto the top with the truck winch and
it snapped off 3 or 4 feet below the surface.

Al

OldNick

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:15:09 GMT, Errol Groff
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Ooohhhhhhh ****!

And with the way seals are, it took a few seconds.

Not often I blo...sorry.....lose....beer on my keyboard.....and tears
of laughter....

When he got back to the shop the tech looked at him and reported "it
looks like you blew a seal:.

The penguin glances down at his front where ice cream had dripped and
replies "Oh no, that's just ice cream"!

OldNick

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:15:09 GMT, Errol Groff
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Just a note

You could "legitimize" this with a "polar mech tech" rather than a
penguin.....